Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Yes it says late January, but Feb is at our doorstep now and no word from Rice!

one more question, lets say we applied for bsmd, but the kid didnt get into bsmd but would still be eligible for their undergrad, right? there is no seperate app for it? for e.g. brown, rice, case western and such?

I think I take back my words. My D thinks only PPSP interview notification and the regular comes in March.

I suppose we will see. I can take a look at some older conversations on the matter and see if I can find anything.

I’m pretty sure it’s a bit less than 1%

Okay yeah based on past conversations it seems if you don’t get an interview they ask if you still want to be considered for UG, so I think just interview updates come out tomorrow.

1 Like

I called GWU today and they said they will continue to send interview invites out until end of February, and they will tell you if you don’t receive an interview unlike BU who will just not contact you.

1 Like

Oh really?! Haha welp that’s lower than I thought but makes sense.

Is this regarding kids who got accepted to Upstate? Or for kids who are still hoping to get an interview with Upstate (like my D forwarded thru ACPHS)?

Kids still hoping to get an interview. My D was forwarded through Syracuse.

1 Like

Are they planning on sending rejections at the end of February then for GW?

Each feeder sent 20-25 to Upstate. Apparently not everyone gets the interview at Upstate. I was going thru our discussions with Adelphi counsellor and found this- “Out of 20 Adelphi forwarded, 10-12 gets the interview with Upstate” This is last cycle stats he was quoting.

Apparently all the slots for this year’s 3 interview dates are filled-up and they will send additional invites if someone decides not to attend the interview. I am reading it as similar to interview waitlist at Drexel and VCU.

1 Like

Any tips for NJMS interviews this year?

Does anyone know what the Toledo Chemistry Assessment for UMKC is like? I took chem a while back and need to review a bit and refresh my memory. Not sure if I should use AP chem or SAT subject test study guide. For me, they’re very very different methods of study. I know the test isn’t a big deal, but I want to avoid taking the pre-req class if I can help it. Any advice?

1 Like

I was on CWRU pre-med/pre-health info session just two days ago(just for the heck of it) and one of the committee members on that call loosely quoted the competition for PPSP as - approximately 2500 applications, 60 interviews for 20 slots. That makes it under 1%.

4 Likes

Sounds like relatively easy to get into Ivys when compared to PPSP. :roll_eyes:
Yale has the least overall acceptance rate at 6.3% per ‘year 2020 stats’.

If you have already interviewed for upstate NY, can you please share the interview format? Was it MMI format ?

You should consider the acceptance numbers rather than the intake. Did they tell how many are accepted after the interviews for the 20 slots? Normally the ratio would be 2:1 or in the whereabouts.

@love4bsmd

regarding Acceptance numbers experts can comment but Below is our observation with Case western PPSAP , REMS and Rice Baylor programs

All of the three above are private undergrad schools and undergrad not med school runs the marketing campaign which encourage everyone to apply for BS MD and do not filter candidates like Upitt and HPME did before anyone could apply as HPME and Upitt programs do.

so if PPSAP says out of 2500 unfiltered candidates they will finally select 20 will give 1 percent or lower acceptance which is better than Upitt which does filter and only selects 400 to 500 folks to apply and then selects 10 or HPME use to only allow 1000 to apply and selected 20. If every one was allowed to apply to HPME a they would have got more applications than Case

That (2:1 - 40 applicants accepted for 20 seats) bumps up PPSP acceptance rate to 1.6%.