Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Please do respond honestly - I am pretty stressed abt it. Their site says The REMS admission rate is about two percent. If you believe that your test results help reinforce the strength of your overall application to REMS, you should submit them. However, all candidates with an interest in REMS will receive the same thorough review, whether they submit test scores or not. The same is true for scholarships. Test scores are not required to compete for any of Rochester’s scholarships, including our National Merit scholarships. However, applicants interested in scholarships can submit test scores.

I feel like this hints that I will be disadvntaged

Congratulations!!! I don’t think so as you already got the interview invitation. They did take that into consideration before offering you an interview so don’t unnecessarily get tensed , just do your best at the interview.

1 Like

You should be celebrating on getting the interview for REMS. Do NOT pay attention to anything that you have no control. Focus on preparing well for the interview…the only thing that matters.

1 Like

My son had BU interview. It was conversation and they just talked what was in his resume.

3 Likes

Yep, live an hour from Chicago

If you made it to the interview stage you have a good chance of getting in, not 100% obviously, but that means they are strongly considering you. Once to the interview stage you should be incredibly proud of yourself cause that means you’re at the top of the applicant pool and they want you. The interview now is to learn more about you and see if you are a sociable person who is genuinely interested in their program. At this point test scores and gpa really mean nothing, cause they were already enough for them. Just go to that interview and be you, cause they want to spend the time now to get to know the true you beyond a piece of paper, and if they don’t like you, then they don’t deserve you!

2 Likes

Have you ever asked yourself the question why med schools are taking ~60+% students with gap years and ~33% w/o gap years? I will answer, because med schools are looking at certain thresholds (don’t read as just GPA/MCAT) that will make those students to be successful Dr in future. That threshold being met by students at various stage of life and maturity, not everyone at same level just being a high school graduate or even a UG graduate.

AAMC published data suggests GPA and MCAT data are 0.5 or 1 point higher among demographics. But that is not counted as ODDS stacked up against ORM, rather we ORM are victims of our own success. Most of ORM population immigrated based on education and now their offspring are finding themselves among similar qualified students.
I will restrain from spreading Q kind of theories and assume there is always something there there beyond published data.

It has been said before, only UGs are offering MD/DO schools carrot to admit high caliber students who otherwise won’t even consider those UGs to attend w/o MD/DO seat. As an applicant, one should ask themself a simple question, am I short selling myself by committing to that school and cut my own wings even before exploring potential?

Yes, no intention to start BS/MD/DO vs traditional debate yet until interview season is over and people have decisions on their hand to talk about.

1 Like

Here is Penn State class profiles for last 4 years
https://med.psu.edu/md/class-profiles
and see their mediocre MCAT score, no wonder they want to boost their class profile by adding high caliber high school students those otherwise not matriculating there as traditional applicants.

FYI, PSU/SKMC combination is the BSMD program.

Even by that SKMC standard MCAT score is 514 and GPA 3.73, where all top schools are at 3.8+ and 518+.

1 Like

Yes, top tier students fall in the UG GPA 3.8+ and MCAT score 518+ as per AAMC published data. PSU medical school is not one of those where top tier student probably matriculate but a lot of PA residents probably do.

Could anyone give a detailed explanation of the interview process for the Temple PPHS program? Is it more conversational or MMI style? If anyone has completed the interview in previous years, could you please give guidance on how to prepare for it? What are some example questions?

Have you heard back from Temple?

In past years, the interview has been conducted in a small group and may be followed by individual interviews. Being virtual this year, it may be different.

Has anyone heard anything back from OU MHSP/Honors program?

Yes, I was invited through email for an interview on Feb 15th.

1 Like

It may be too early for OU MHSP. IIRC, the interviews were during March time frame at Norman, OK.

1 Like

Has anyone heard back from Drexel combined?

Please check past posts. Some have received interviews invite from Drexel medical school.

CWRU PPSP portal updates are in