Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Makes me think that honors college decision would happen before decision for MHSP (like NJIT and VCU honors decision came before their BSMD interview decisions). Anyone who applied to OU heard any news on honors decision?

Little late to the conversation but just want to clarify what you mean by binding.

Binding to the SUNY feeder school? No, you arenā€™t binded to this. I actually had the same question for Ms. Ripa last year and was told that signing the document just confirms interest in UMU. However, this of course means that accepting another ugā€™s offer means giving up your BS/MD position with Upstate.

Binding to UMU and not allowed to apply to other medical schools? Questionable. From the acceptance letter Iā€™ve seen, there is no mention of any binding ties to UMU or your feeder school. In fact, the specific language of the acceptance makes no mention of applying to other medical schools. I would assume that there would be many hoops to jump through if you were to attend the SUNY school and later apply to another medical school. I would also think that your applying to another med school rescinds the BSMD offer.

Hope everyone is doing well. My son was really bummed to not get a REMS interview but then was thrilled to get a Case invite today. There will be highs and lows for everyone on this long road. No one should get down on themselves based on how an admissions officer theyā€™ll never meet interprets their accomplishments or motivation to become a physician serving others. Whether my son gets a spot after the interview or not Iā€™m still proud of him and reading the comments on this thread I think everyone should know how proud their parents are of them too.

5 Likes

What is Saint Peterā€™s? And also, if you have not gotten Honors acceptance you are most likely out of the running (sorry). You have to be accepted to Honors College before being forwarded or interviewed for NJMS.

Good luck with that! If you/your daughter need help, feel free to PM me. I was accepted into 3 BS/MD programs (applied to ~9/10) and would love to help. Good for her for starting the application process early.

1 Like

Saint Peterā€™s University in New Jersey (3 years) + 4 years medical school w/ Rutgers.

Interesting, I had never heard of this program. Anyway. Good to know.

It is one of the feeder school like NJIT, TCNJ to NJMS BSMD. There is only ONE Rutgers BSMD program open to all. Both RWJ and NJMS are now part of Rutgers.

2 Likes

Our plan
BSMD
Traditional Route MD
DO
Caribbean Island

Forgot the timings on Honors. But donā€™t worry. BS/MD student applicants will get admitted. If you are NM Semifinalist it used to be automatic and no need to write essay.

Yes he is in last 80 for PPSAP and waiting on GAP And he wants to pursue only these two programs.

1 Like

No need give up any interviews. Schools know not everyone joins. Use them as an experience esp since no cost is involved.

1 Like

You mean 3.9 GPA? :slight_smile: I wonder why they donā€™t want MCAT taken.

Itā€™s not that difficult for kids who were able to get into T10 UGs. My kidā€™s goal was T5 when gave up BSMD 4 years back and he achieved that.

Although it is premature as chances are less for BS MD below is our ranking strategy which we came up today:

1. Upitt over Case if he is selected at both else other

2. Any T20 undergrad if he gets full scholarship even with high EFC

3. He has admission to Harvard already

1 Like

Any updates on LECOM EAP who gave an interviewed in mid January?

IIRC, CWRUā€™s PPSP(BSMD) does not want the students to take MCAT, but if they do, they should score at least 95% to matriculate to medical school. It seems that MCAT 95% would be a minimum expected score from regular MD applicants. An UG GPA of 3.9 is not that uncommon.

IMO, CRWU PPSP has no MCAT requirement for matriculation to medical school vs UPitts GAP has minimum GPA 3.75 per semester requirement, either will do.

You have a good point

We were ranking based in surgery speciality ranking of med school and research funding

There is famous cleveland clinic nearby at CWRU for research.