Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

How do you believe your C stood out in the app for Case? Just asking because my D got rejected from Case PPSP today and is really hoping for the Pitt GAP. Wanting to know if we have a decent shot.

1 Like

Would be interesting to know how they filter 80 out of 2500 apps every school is different

Child had perfect scores I would rate decent EC’s with research spending time he also maintained perfect GPA with lot of AP and advance college level courses. May Be rigor of course helped bring ORM have 4.0 GPA is not enough.

The number of applicants for this cycle shot up like GameStop.

3 Likes

Those who submitted or submitting Stony Brook Honors Essay & Scholars for Medicine Essay: Did you wrap both essays in one document with respective titles and then uploaded them to the Stony Brook portal? Because in the Stony Brook Portal there were no two options to upload one for Honors Essay and the other for Scholars for Medicine Essay, there is one option called “Essay” and upload a file. Thoughts?

We uploaded two times essay - with the files named appropriately.

1 Like

Thank you @TensedMom

On that, for the honors program, how many words/sentences is a “brief statement?”

Per below Stony Brook link, Honors Essay (actually Statement - 250 words), and Scholars for Medicine Essay is 650 words.

1 Like

tysm

Just wanted to jump in here with my 2 cents. Pitt currently does not allow students to apply out without rescinding the original guarantee per the Medical GAP Committee. It may have been different in the past, but this is how Pitt’s current stance is.

Because if i have like a 3.98 and really hard classes and all, but no sat or the three sat tests that everyone else has im kinda screwed. My friend said 1-2 get invites 1 gets in each yr from norcal but idk the validity and im test optional. My extecrauccirulars are very very good but i dont have the sat and its my dream program. I have legacy for roch idk how that plays out for rems either

For NJMs, which undergrad would be a better option TCNJ or NJIT leaving the money out?

Does undergrad really matter if you are going to the same medical school NJMS. Do residency director look at undergrad ? May be what you courses you take in undergrad can help you but it should not matter to others.

Go with one which does not have high GPA qualifying requirements like minimum science GPA of 3.75 which some BS MD programs have.

Wow - off for a day and the number of comments is just immense.

@RG1972 - you answered you own question. So, we are good there.

Congratulations to everyone who got Case invites.

The undergrad that your are most comfortable with!

I would say that at this stage your lack of SAT does not matter.
REMS identified you among the ~ 50 candidates they want to learn more about before finalizing their 10+5 candidates.

Give your best shot at the interview and pray for the best.
Let not your fear and anxiety for failure stop you from giving your best.

1 Like

Anyone had the interview for Union/AMC interview. If so, please share the format of the interview, conversational or MMI?

I was accepted into OU honors in November (probably so early because I am a NM Semifinalist), but still nothing for MHS, nor do I particularly expect to lol

Yes, quite possible. Have heard of two students in the same batch recently quitting the program after junior year (there may have been more) and the program administration may have tightened the conditions. The anomoly with the program, they want to select only the students who have taken the most advanced and rigorous curriculum in high school (APs, IB, DE even in subjects not so interested in) but still want the students to spend 4 years on the undergrad, effectively giving no credit for all their advanced standing. This factor along with perfect GPAs and outstanding MCAT scores is perhaps what prompted the two students mentioned above deciding to call it quits. I believe they finished all the required course work by junior year and went for a gap year.

Better get the conditions clarified before decision making.

Hi, so they keep 10+5 as backup, that’s why no status on my D application