Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Yea I am!

1 Like

Congrats to your D. Good luck.
How the interview decision conveyed? Is that over the phone or portal update? Thank you.

Does your D have an idea what is this based on ? You mentioned that her credentials are even better than your elder D. Being out-of-state resident is not a disqualification.

Why would BU not give NMF scholarship equivalent to a Presidential Scholarship this year ? A pure speculation and wishful thinking with no fact to support.

Count BU as 7.5 yr BSMD program with a summer requirement.

May be your elder D at NJMS can help with correct email address or tel number for NJMS admission office.

Congrats!! email, phone or portal?

If you are NMF at BU, the icing on cake is an equivalent ( in amount) scholarship to Presidential Scholarship. One is considered for Presidential scholarship which are awarded university wide ( no preference to BSMD).

-deleted

@rk2017 @grtd2010 , It says on BU site that if you are NMF you will get Presidential Scholarship but must designation BU as first choice college before March 1. My D has BU interview next week but I am sure we won’t know the results until much later than March 1. What should be course of action here? Do you get one chance to mention your first choice college or you can change it few times? Is this March 1 deadline strict?

I am curious to know more on that too but heard you can change it later if you’re not attending BU. I think most of the colleges have before May 1st except BU. We’ve to check the requirements of each college for that. My D didn’t receive an invite for BU but she wants to request them forward her application to regular cycle. If she gets accepted to undergrad and gets both need based and also NMF, we would like to see the cost at the end.

Rutgers New Jersey Medical School and you may start by calling general number at NJMS and ask them about MD admissions.

Some BSMD programs like OU MHSP do not have such hard deadline like March 1. For now mention BU as your First choice, IMO. You can find out from NMS office the final deadline for changing the First choice after March 1. It should be much later than March 1 but do not recall it. IIRC, we got half price tuition award at USC (near LA, CA) based on NMF status. NJIT and Fordham(NYC) also award substantial scholarship based on NMF status.

FYI, call BU admissions after Feb 15, ask to consider your D for BU UG only. Yes, you can change your first choice multiple times but each college may have their own deadline. There is also a final deadline by NMS folks, IMO.

1 Like

IMO, It does not matter which BSMD you get in and the rankings are useless.

1 Like

Agree with grtd2010
All BS/MD programs are more selective and have lower acceptance than HYPSM schools.
Most are well below 2%, especially this cycle.

@cheer2021: Thank you,

DC got an e-mail today from FAU.

1 Like

Not summer requirement. Half summer, 6 weeks after spring if sophomore year. Thought made it clear.

0.5 year means 6 months. Not 6 weeks.

Rejected from GW

Yeah that is kind of tricky situation, you may not know the SMED outcome till almost end of March. Do you have any other programs with such requirements and if so what are their deadlines. Check NMF portal and FAQs on their policies on whether they allow changes and if so how many times. GL.