Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I heard FAU comes in waves.

1 Like

Is it based on past year trend?

Heard from someone

National Merit Finalist

Principals of schools in my area were notified of NMF and students have started receiving that information from their principals.

2 Likes

2-3 minutes is deal - anything longer usually feels like rambling.

Sorry for typos - 2-3 minutes is ā€¦ideal

We found external help can be helpful.

In a survey carried out a 3-4 years ago, except for family medicine and 1 more specialty, > 50% of program directors in other specialities gave considerations to AOA. In some cases, it was as high as 74%.

I thought for SLU, you have to take the MCAT

Also, do you guys know what it means to get invited to do a virtual interview for Columbia? They want to know more about me thatā€™s not on my applicationā€¦

I am hearing/reading more and more people say ā€˜pick the cheapest optionā€™ for UG. What about quality of education, premed advising, research opportunities etc? Shouldnā€™t these be considered more than the cost when picking a school or is the assumption that most colleges offer the same outcome on these aspects?

Did anyone already had NJMS interview, just want to know is it full day as my son has to attend information session in the morning and his interview is like late afternoon. If anyone knows. As thatā€™s all we got in the email.

1 Like

@muscarf , NJMS interview is not full day. The morning session is just 10 mins where someone just checks on you. The interview in afternoon could be 0.5 - 1.5 hrs depending on the person interviewing.

1 Like

@rk1235rk Thanks a lot!

Check my last post.

Info session is 5 minutes to check in. Then you log off and log back on for your interview.

2 Likes

Has anyone applied to the BS/MD at Montclair State/NJMS? It is an eight year program only open to NJ residents. Does anyone know when they send interview invites? The app was due pretty late in comparison to other NJMS feeder schools (Dec 15). I got accepted into their college but have not heard anything about the med programā€¦

Please choose where your kid will be happy to attend and of course objectively looking at cost of the program. If the cost difference is 5-10k per year, if you feel one school is better than the other for the happiness and hence success of the kid and affordability is not an issue then its easy decision to make.

Everything you mentioned are valid points in choosing a better UG school. But donā€™t have to be in a top UG programs to aim for a top med school later especially if that UG costs too much extra money compared to other options.

1 Like

Yes, SLU needs MCAT. However its bare minimum 500.

1 Like

We applied and got UG acceptance. I think the program is no longer being offered as i program webpage is no longer existsā€¦ was checking it this morning and getting this msgā€¦ Not sure who to reach out to?

Whoops! The server was unable to locate a page at /csam/programs-and-opportunities/health-careers-program/health-careers-program-combined-bs-md-program-eight-year/ . Please check the name and try again.

Rowan CMSRU (the medical school) starts in Junior year similar to NJMS (3+4yrs : Rowan UG + Cooper Medical School RU)ā€¦