Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I didn’t realize UG and MED school are on different campus. Does that get in the way of research opportunities?

@Vicky2019 Or @NoviceDad may be able to advise better.

1 Like

Also for PMM - can someone with knowledge elaborate on finishing undergrad early using AP credits? Remember seeing some post very early on where someone said that you can finish UG in 2-2.5 years and use remaining time of UG to do other stuff. This also reduces UG tuition burden (since Penn seems to not give any scholarships). Maybe @Vicky2019 or @rk2017 has knowledge on this.

2 Likes

That’s what I heard some time ago, that some students can finish the course work as early as by sophomore year and spend junior year completely on research etc and saving the tuition in the process. I will let @Vicky2019 provide more latest information on this.

1 Like

I believe @rk2017 had mentioned this. I a hoping he will share more info.

Thank you @rk2017 !
@Vicky2019 -I was going to request you by PM but there is likely enough interest here that many of us would benefit if you can share your perspective on scholarships or otherwise minimizing costs for Penn/SKMC, research opportunities and how to complete BS in two years if students have enough AP credits (and what do students do with 3rd year).

1 Like

Hi. We had visited Penn State preCOVID and we are from Southern California. I believe there is not so much in terms of scholarship funds and OOS tuition is high. The program is quite flexible if you meet the requirements and meet the 512 MCAT requirement you are good to go. Dr Markle (sp?) is quite flexible and involved in the students lives- meets periodically with them as an UG. I think most enter as junior standing with all the AP’s and as a state school. they will accept classes takes in high school. Beautiful campus. Many students are willing to share emails and information as well.

1 Like

@Jayanapat - I believe their MCAT requirement is 504 and not 512.

1 Like

We mid-westerners are always generous. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

With their low MCAT requirement (504) you should be able to use as many AP credits including sciences. Keep in mind AP grades may not transfer but their GPA requirement is not all that high (3.5?) either.

they said mid march when i emailed them

Yeah, it used to be 3rd Saturday of every March, but with record numbers of applications and the pandemic, most likely to be pushed to the following Saturday.

Hey y’all, I’ve been a quiet reader of this thread but saw some people wondering about Brooklyn BAMD interviews… I just received an interview invite today so don’t lose hope, I think it is rolling

1 Like

has anyone received any communication from Pitt?

@Mom22DDs

If I remember correctly you have an elder C attending med school too. So the younger may benefit by any need based price breaks based on EFC. Checkout Penn State’s latest available common data set to get a feel of how liberal their policies are in this regard and what % of need based requirements they have met. May give you some idea. It must be in the section for Financial aid.

1 Like

We don’t qualify for FAFSA but we’re filling it out anyway as many schools seem to require it even if we are not looking for aid.

@ssc2021, @Jayanapat, @Mom22DDs, @escorpi11, @rk1235rk, @muscarf - Congratulations to the kids and their proud parents on your acceptance to Penn State/SKMC BSMD program.

Please do share your stats/perspectives in the BSMD results forum.

@ssc2021, @Jayanapat, @Mom22DDs, @escorpi11, @rk1235rk, @muscarf -

The MCAT requirement is 504 and not 512. The GPA requirement is 3.5. There are no other requirements. Students are given 3 chances to pass the MCAT. So, very easy graduation requirements to Medical School.

Dr. Markle is really very helpful and available to the PMM students! PMM students are a cohort and stick together and help each other.

PMM students can easily find research and volunteering opportunities if they choose this. Penn State doesn’t have any requirements from shadowing/volunteerring etc… point of view for graduating to medical college.

Penn State is a public university and the OOS fee is similar to most public universities of the same calibre. NMF scholarship is given if PSU is selected as the first choice. This is applicable to all UG students including for PMM students.

Other merit scholarships are usually given to Schreyers Honors college students to attract merit students. For kids with older siblings, EFC will be low.

2 Likes

Penn State/PMM: IIRC, it is not generous for need based aid.

@ssc2021, @Jayanapat, @Mom22DDs, @escorpi11, @rk1235rk, @muscarf

I just covered info about research opportunity in my previous post. It is easy to get if students reach out to the professors.

My S is a freshman this year in Penn State PMM program. Last year, I even showed the calculations between PMM and Stony Brook in this forum.

I compared total cost for 7 yrs at PMM and 8 yrs at Stony Brook. The difference between these was not significant for us. Take a look in last years forum for details, if interested. We also felt that PMM was a better program and my S loved it more!

Remember, Stony Brook/Stony Brook is a State/public university for BA and MD. Penn State is a public university however SKMC is a private university. We are out of state for both programs.

S got a lot of AP credits, enough to be able to skip one whole year of courses. It is likely he will complete his required courses within 2 years or so. Kids are pretty independent once they go to college. I am not entirely sure what he wants to do in the 3rd year.

He is already doing research under a professor since early sem#1 and also participating in several Extra curricular activities. He loves PMM and is thriving there. We are so happy he choose to go there.

2 Likes