Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

do let us know, how were the interviews and format. we have scheduled later this week.

Can the student do a research year elsewhere on in Penn instead? Would you know @NoviceDad ?

Research can be done anywhere, my niece is doing this program and she is currently doing research at another university in her home town. This also helps with tuition and other expenses.

2 Likes

I know students who are doing research outside of PennState. But these students are on-track to complete their undergrad in 2.5 years instead of 2 years.

2 Likes

@Shanmuga20 - In any college, students are not given opportunities in a platter, they need to look for them. Also, students should keep an open mind and be flexible. for example, If your S finds research in college easily, he could volunteer in your hometown during the summer/vacations. He doesn’t need to find every EC right near the college itself.

As far as I know, my S found his ECs easily. Since he is in PMM, he doesn’t really need to do anything. We are also discouraging him to go out of his way due to COVID.

You can search for “hospital near penn state university state college” in google to find what hospitals/clinics or health care opportunities are there. Upon searching for websites, I found the links below for volunteering -

https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/involvement-student-life/service-leadership-opportunities

You should also feel free to contact the university directly for relevant information.

2 Likes

My son did his interview 2 weeks ago

SUNY Upstate forces you to commit once results are out.

Can anyone please share their NJMS interview experience?

In the previous post in this thread, I remember someone saying it’s not a final commitment until you pay the deposit. Please scroll through the previous posts. This was few weeks as soon as Upstate acceptances started coming in.

My D’s NJMS interview was very long but conversational. I think it purely depends on the interviewer. For my D, it was mostly going through her application and the other common why medicine questions.

Thanks! Through both NJIT and TCNJ we believe.

1 Like

Congrats to all on Penn State PMM! Hopefully we will be able to add to the results thread soon!

It is the medical school which can ask you to show your intent for their admittance within two weeks ( with a fee or no fee deposit). There may be a contract one needs to sign and submit to keep BSMD seat. You have a take it or leave it option.

Congratulations to all the students who got accepted into PMM, and their proud parents. Wishing you all the very best in college and beyond.

1 Like

@Mom22DDs One option may be, one can move to Philadelphia and start research early ( may be after 2 years at PSU) at SKMC. SKMC is located close to Philadelphia Center City area.

3 Likes

@ssc2021, @Jayanapat, @Mom22DDs, @escorpi11, @rk1235rk, @muscarf
Congratulations on acceptance to PSU/SKMC . It is a program with easy requirements to matriculate( MCAT 504, UG GPA 3.5) but a very little merit based financial aid. Please wait for other outcomes before making a decision. IMO, PSU/SKMC has many affluent OOS willing to pay full-tuition.

1 Like

@Mom22DDs Almost every one can get $5500 in federal loans during first year of UG. Please submit FAFSA to get these loans.

1 Like

It doesn’t force you. But it clearly states to sign and send it back within 14 days to let them know the student’s interest. Till May 1st its not binding.

1 Like

One may have to make a deposit before May 1 to secure it ( to make it binding to both parties).

1 Like

A year ago, we would all have been so thrilled getting an invite from at least one program, so I know this is a good problem to have. SUNY Upstate was indeed her first choice, after getting accepted there, My D is on a roll declining interview offers without even contemplating for a minute now. VCU, AMC interview invites and NYIT-DO acceptance, which she thanked and declined. This morning, she got an interview invite from SUNY Downstate, she declined that too. Her father went to Sophie/Downstate for BS/MD ( many moons ago) so I just wanted her attend the interview ( just because, I don’t know?)

Being an ORM and without any exemplary hooks or anything to boot, my D went in with zero expectations but it is still very doable! This is the impression that we are getting from all this. I will definitely post in the results thread after this cycle ends. Thank you.

8 Likes