Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Makes sense as MD-MBA is not just have medical knowledge but good with numbers and management too. Also it’s not everyone’s forte.

Thanks! Definitely very interesting degree to have.

Data is from 2014 to 2018.
Basically ~3% medical graduates are from BA(S)/MD route.

3 Likes

On the portal it says that the applicants will be invited for an interview by 02/26/21.
But when I click on the interview in my portal, it says you have not been invited to an interview. I don’t know if this is a new change in the portal or it has been the same status since the submission of supplemental essays and other materials in January. I never clicked on it before.
Does anyone else see this too ?

Such a cruel mistake, ugh!

why is total # so low? Is all of these degrees combined number just 16,223 per year?

No, its surveyed among medical graduates from 2014 to 2018. So that is based on participants in survey, which is significant pool.

Very useful information, it applies to OOS.

AAMC: Findings from the report, Results of the 2018 Medical School Enrollment Survey, indicate that as of the 2018-19 academic year, first-year enrollment in U.S. medical schools had increased to 21,622 students, and first-year enrollment at schools of osteopathic medicine was 8,124 students.

LOL, MD/PhD group beats BS/MD group in total numbers.

One can always do MBA as part-time student. MD/MBA gives certain benefits when done as a combined degree program at certain universities.

Does this mean BS/MD applicants are less acdemically prepared for medical school’s rigor compared to regular MD applicants( 2.9% vs 1.3%) ?

1 Like

that’s up to group to debate on.

Not necessarily, FAU provides very generous merit based scholarships for NMFs. One can always apply to medical schools via regular route MD ( a wider net and available options like CA’s medical schools). PSU/SKMC is a bird-at-hand option to have in case.

2 Likes

What do you mean by binding ? You can always apply out for higher ranked MD schools if one has a great MCAT score and UG GPA, IMO .

In a way it’s binding because you only graduate after attending first year at SKMC.

Why this limitation ? One can meet all requirements for a BS/BA degree in 3 years including any electives with a lot of AP’s and dual credits. No one can stop from getting a degree if one has satisfied all the requirements in 3 years. AMCAS does not care whether a BS/BA degree ( may be not with PMM major). There are 2 semesters of Biochemistry in PMM, otherwise this is not much different than pre-med requisites at other universities.
https://bulletins.psu.edu/undergraduate/colleges/eberly-science/premedical-medical-bs/#suggestedacademicplantext

I don’t think a PMM student can score enough credits in 3 years to graduate or atleast that’s how I believe the program is designed. For that case I would think most 3+4 programs are that way.

One may have to adjust the published program. Not every one will take all these courses due to AP credits and other dual credits. It can be done in consultation with an academic advisor, IMO.
Here is PMM
https://bulletins.psu.edu/undergraduate/colleges/eberly-science/premedical-medical-bs/#suggestedacademicplantext

Here is BS(Biology)
https://bulletins.psu.edu/undergraduate/colleges/eberly-science/biology-bs/#suggestedacademicplantext

Few people with knowledge (@Vicky2019 and others) have reported that students with enough AP credits finish UG part of PMM in less than 3 years. I have read similar things about NJIT/TCNJ/NJMS. There may be other programs where kids can finish UG in less than 3 years (including may be FAU).