Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Stop thinking about all these little things and find some other activity to keep you busy. You should never be super attached to one school. If I were you, I would stop following this thread for a while. Come back once you have all the decisions and discuss your choices.

2 Likes

All the best!

1 Like

IMO, you should consult a medical professional and probably get some treatment or advise on how to reduce your anxiety level. None of us here are qualified to give medical advise or they may want to give it on internet.

1 Like

On a related note to the above, here is a 9 year old thread with some latest updates, giving insight into one heck of an admissions official’s compassion

8 Likes

Thanks @rk2017 ! Very inspiring story.

Read between lines what NJIT ADHC has told you.

Hi
Any idea on the scholarships of TCNJ. we heard it wont give much - but a ball park figure ?
instate tuition is 16,923 and with room and board , it is $30,416.

Thank you

Yes TCNJ is known to be not particularly liberal/generous with merit awards for their own reasons (probably funding).

Don’t remember too well from 3-4 years back, but happen to know the parents of this student with 1600 SAT, 4.0 GPA from a prestigious public school, getting around 10k/year from TCNJ. S/he on the other hand had full ride even covering portion of room and board at the much bigger and better known flagship state university. However after looking at various facets decided to go to TCNJ for the undergrad. Perhaps small class sizes, faculty in the major, vibes on campus and the like were some of the reasons.

Any info on awards/scholarships for Penn State? We had to make a choice between naming Penn or BU for our National Merit Scholarship cos both give NM awards if you name them before March 1st. Penn gives $2k while BU gives $20k/yr, so we took the chance and named BU even though we haven’t heard back from them yet.

I believe it is 25k/year at BU if they will still continue giving. But the tuition is higher. So both may come to be around the same for cost wise for the undergrad.

I would recommend you not make it worse by being mindful of your communications and your state of mind between now and the interview, and actually till you hear back from them. You cannot change what happened, and if you already got negative attention, all you can do it is not make it worse. If they noticed you seem anxious, and it might not be hard to miss, that alone will not make them take you off consideration, but if it comes across as very severe anxiety issues, then anyone reasonable will take that into consideration. So if you are as concerned as you appear to be, you also need to exercise the discipline to be able to calm yourself down and appear confident at least in the eyes of others. Sorry, but I think this is very meaningful advice and I hope you could synthesize with your parents or advisors near you that can spend more time with you.

Yes, we confirmed they will give that award for students joining this year (BU UG only or BU SMED). For Penn, we have no information on awards, it seems to be $3k at the most, and appears to not even be for all years. Is that really the case that they have not much scholarships? It is a public school and you are right, it is almost as expensive as BU after NM award.

Yeah Pennsylvania state universities are having funding crises I believe. But plenty of research funding, so possibly can get paid research opportunities, but can’t necessarily count on it since most of them may go to graduate students.

1 Like

Yes. Right now cleared. NJIT- NJMS program Interview was concluded in the last Dec. That means
 Other pre-health program still considered. What is other program pre-med or Puerto rico etc
 I think we are not interested in those. Thank you!!

Thank you. I just thought the fact i sent three emails before she responded would make sure im marked down but my reader is the one who contacted her and my reader told me she was completely understanding

-deleted

Did anyone get official admission to TCNJ after being forwarded to/interviewed by NJMS, or do they wait to see if NJMS accepts?

so it really wont affect anything at all for sure?

No college makes admission decision based on those encounters and if they do, you be better off by not attending those colleges.

1 Like

but a bad impression can destroy everything im sure, but fi you say so.