Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Looking at the data shared by @grtd2010, a student taking traditional route definitely has very high percentage of ending up in his/her own state medical college. For TX, it may be much higher than some other states, but other states are not too behind. Of course it is a different story for private medical schools.

As I mentioned in last year’s thread and to repeat again, those figures include both MD and DO programs, spread across multiple batches of graduating students applying in a given year (due to gap years). Further not accounting the considerable percentage of undergrads dropping the plans during the weed out process.

Traditional route comparison is not similar to BS/MD route where all the students belonging only to one senior year are applying but rather involves competing with 3 batches approximately. The one graduating with you, the one before your batch and the one after, even if we ignore all the non traditional applicants with > 2 years gap. So divide the above quoted numbers by approximately 2.5 or 3 to get a more realistic picture.

Copy pasting some of the factors mentioned by me in last year’s thread regarding the traditional route selections criteria.

Some of the factors deciding med school admissions apart from just gpa and MCAT:

• ECs/research and their quality, letters of recommendation
  • URM (for example BU and others too have partnerships with historic black colleges)
  • First generation college grads and socio economically disadvantaged
  • Those coming from underserved areas and likely to go back and serve their communities (like for example Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, rural backgrounds etc)
  • Those with unique life situations, challenges and experiences
  • Those who are seen as being more matured as persons and likely to serve the cause of medicine instead of treating it as another money making business
  • Limit of two or three acceptances per undergrad institution (except for state med schools or in case of private, if you had attended the undergrad at the same university)
  • Having to compete with multiple batches of graduates due to gap years. Some of them having accumulated significant research or medical ECs during the gap years or may have even gotten a master's degree.

So quite possible that someone you know or heard of with > 5 points lower in MCAT and < 0.25 GPA difference got that spot(s) and you may not.

Hi all,
I’m currently a rising freshman in high school and I have been doing a lot of research about BS/MD programs every since school has moved to online. I REALLY want to get into the HPME program at NW. Can you guys please look at my figures and give me some feedback? thanks in advance

Race: ORM
Income: Middle Class >120K
State: NC
Current SAT score: 1380-1400 on practice test going to grind really hard during this summer
Planned EC’s: HOSA, Mock WHO, Debate, research at NC State, tutoring kids in my neighborhood, Band, volunteering at a nursing home, volunteering at a UNC or Duke hospital

To elaborate a little more on the factor of med schools limiting the number of acceptances from a given outside undergrad institution. This means if there is a truly outstanding applicant(s) from one’s own undergrad institution, he or she can be a blocker for all the applicants from that institution at all the places he or she applied to (though he or she is eventually going to join only one of them). With the number of med school applications put in by a typical aspirant being in 25-30 range these days, that can be a massive blocker.

That is one of the significant reasons it is not uncommon these days to see applicants, especially ORMs, with > 3.9 gpas and > 520 MCATs not landing a single acceptance at any of the 25-30 med schools applied to. Or ending up settling with what they originally thought to be safeties and did not have remote intentions of joining there to start with.

Just in case BS/MD doesn’t work out for me, I was wondering if it would be wise to go the BSN route, complete all prereqs for med school and then apply to medical school. With the nursing experience, would it help in the medical school application? Or is it risky?

What is ORM?

ORM = “over-represented in medicine”… which are white and asian.

@grtd2010

My kiddo is URM- Native America with tribal registration.

We are hoping his SAT will work for BSMD. Fingers crossed.

Good, URM may not need as high as ACT 34 or SAT 1540 to be competitive.

@momofjava
As far as I know, ORMs are mostly Asians including Southeast Indian. The standard STATs for ORMs are usually much higher than other categories.
Here is MCAT and GPA data on US matriculants to US medical schools from AAMC. It has a separate column for Asian.
https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-10/2019_FACTS_Table_A-18.pdf

@momjava ORM is used in this thread to refer to Asians who apply in a very large number to BSMD or regular UG route MD programs.

Would nursing be a good back-up degree to apply for medical school? Especially since a lot of the skills taught in med school can also be learned through nursing. Or would it decrease the chances of being accepted?

Hello everyone, can anyone please provide me some insight on premed majors and also applying ED to Brown University

It is an Early Assurance Program with Jefferson Medical. Not BS/MD.
15 students are selected after sophomore year of UDelaware.

@9the0girl7
I have seen few cases of nursing majors (BSN) to MD.

Note nursing admissions generally require lower GPA/ SAT requirements that regular pre-med.

Folks

Further to what @rk2017 has indicated -

Traditional route - 40% acceptance rate is NOT the correct way to look at things.
It is NOT based on APPLICATIONS to individual medical school.

THERE WERE 896,819 applications for 21,869 seats!!! Ratio is 2.4% !!!

Check out: https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-1.pdf

Example: Jefferson Medical School selects a class about 270 students from an applicant pool of approximately 11,000. That translates to 2.45% rate.
Your chance of getting an interview at Jefferson is 800 out of 11,000 or 7.27%

Your selection of medical schools to apply is extremely crucial as that will decide whether you get ZERO interview offers or multiple interview offers.

Remember 24% of students from UPenn or 10% of students from RICE do NOT make it to any medical schools.

For John Hopkins undergrads, “Within five years of graduation, approximately 80% secure an acceptance to at least one medical school.” Translation, 20% of students do NOT get into any medical school within FIVE years of graduation!
Also for John Hopkins undergrads, “In any one application year, approximately 70% of applicants to medical school gain acceptance to one or more medical schools.” Translation 30% do NOT get it every year of application!

https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/preprofadvising/pre-medhealth/medical-school-application-trends-outcomes/

There are many such examples.

Just to make clear the laws of probabilities here.
The probability of getting in to at least ONE medical school out of 17 medical schools an average applicant applies is 40.8% via traditional route MD. The law of probability states to sum the probability of getting into one medical school as calculated above by @NoviceDad ( 2.4%).
The number 2.4% added 17 times equals 17*2.4% = 40.8 %. One’s probability of getting into at least ONE medical school ( You can enroll in only ONE medical) is 40.8%.
Much better odds 40.8% than fighting for 5% seats allocated for bsmd with super competitive pool IMO. If your UG GPA is >= 3.8 and MCAT score is >=518,
this probability goes up to nearly 87% as per data available on AAMC site. You decide based on your risk tolerance what is best for you.

Here is grid from AAMC about probabilities of getting into at least one medical school for different UG GPA and MCAT score ranges.

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2020-04/2019_FACTS_Table_A-23_0.pdf

@grtd2010

Probabilities are between 0 and 1 or 0% and 100%.
If I use your logic and apply to 50 med schools, the probability will exceed 100%.

So, mathematically something does not add up.

@NoviceDad
This foot note is found in the document mentioned below.
As per data below 21869 matriculants from 53371 applicants ( average 17 applications to medical schools per applicant).
https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-1.pdf

Alternate probability calculation.
The probability of getting into at least one medical school as 21869/53371 ( Total # of successful applicants/Total number of applicants) = 40.97%
53371*17 = 907307 applications where as you have 896,819 applications in your
calculation of 2.4%. So there is a minor difference between 40.8% and 40.97%.

Please also see this document from AAMC.
Here is grid from AAMC about probabilities of getting into at least one medical school for different UG GPA and MCAT score ranges.

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2020-04/2019_FACTS_Table_A-23_0.pdf

1 Like