Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

thank you @Shanmuga20 and @grtd2010 for your responses. that helps ease me more and I will definitely use what I learned when applying for med school. I thought the interview was extremely important so that’s good to know.

I have been seeing posts like this - where people say medical school has resources for this specialty, or not have resources or have top 10% ranking specialities etc. But I don’t quite understand this whole thing. Can you @Shanmuga20 or someone else explain this?

If specialty is decided during residency (where and which you pick/get into), how is medical school involved here? I thought all medical schools pretty much follow same syllabus (foundational medical education). Most of the time kid won’t know what specialty they want to get into at age 17-18, even if we know, lets say something related to Neuro, what should I be looking for in a medical school related to that?

1 Like

May be during 3rd and 4th year, students can not do certain clinical rotations because either there is no in-house or outside available resource to do so. Please check matches for relevant specialties related to Neuro( child neurology, neurology and neurological surgery) at each medical school. See the full list from 2020 match.

1 Like

My S interviewed with W&J professor on 2-16 and was told Dr. Harris sent the list of students moving forward to Temple Medical School yesterday. The Med school will contact those on the list in about 2 weeks

1 Like

No, all interviewers are trained to evaluate candidates. No one recommender type (physicians, med student, community member) has more influence than another.

Interviewers all volunteers. (Really, would you want someone evaluating students for admission who doesn’t want to be doing it?)

The match is rather random and partly based upon availability of the interviewer.

Quality of labs and hands-on exposure is one thing. In other cases schools may not have residencies in certain areas which could impact the overall experience because students do spend time with residents during their initial years. Of course rotations are another aspect to focus especially in a state like Florida where such opportunities are mostly in-state.
Disclaimer: I am not a physician.

1 Like

So apart from all surgery related specialties (ortho/plastic/neuro surgery), it seems from chart that there are more positions than US MD graduates - interesting. Even Derm and radiology. Then why people keep bringing up that Dermo and radiology are very competitive. May be this chart is not telling the complete story.

Check the column #of applicants/position ( Derm 1.29 and Diagnostic Radiology 1.08) where as neurologic surgery(brain surgeons) 1.65, Plastic Surgery 1.57 seems to be most competitive. This will indicate the competitiveness of the specialty, IMO. Also see the column # of US MD seniors not matched in each specialties of interest.

Yes, I saw that. But Derm and Radiology US MD/position ratio is < 1. So it might be difficult for FMG/IMG but not for US MDs.

1 Like

That is true for US MD/position, but look at how many US MD actually applying for that specialty out of ~22K MDs every year.

my bad

Ture, US MDs are matched at much higher rate than FMGs/IMGs. FMGs/IMGs may have to try in multiple matching rounds while enhancing their credentials. Some FMGs/IMGs may have no success in matching at all, IMO.

During 3rd year, rotations are pretty much standardized at every US med school. They cover all the basic specialties: pediatrics, internal medicine, general surgery (usually includes anesthesiology), neurology, psychiatry, OB/GYN. Some schools also include FM or EM in the basic rotation blocks.

Subspecialties and the more exotic specialties (ortho, ENT, urology, ophthalmology, derm, rad onc, etc) are done during 4th year.

4th year is when students will do aways and do sub-I rotations.

A sub-I (sub-intern) rotation gives the student greater responsibility for patient care than a regular rotation and provides one of the more important LORs for residency.

3 Likes

@REMSHOPEFUL123

You keep saying that yet there’s a spiraling effect going on in your messages. I am not sure if it is better to ignore you or to, once again, exhort you to seek some help in building your ability to self regulate those anxious thoughts.

It’s like trying to have a sensical conversation with the Cheshire Cat- you are determinedly dedicated to your stress. Your statement to me that you are relaxed is seriously concerning if this is your relaxed level.

There is no man behind the curtain. No one is shamming you into applying to purposefully deny you. I think even more necessary than Interview prep is to spend some time finding peace inside your head. And I say this as someone who is personally medicated for anxiety- you could use some calm!

3 Likes

Yes point noted, i just thought because i was told doctors would interview me that they didnt wanna be disrespectful but im in a bottom batch

That is better than ‘no batch’

2 Likes

Seriously. STAAAAAHP. You noted my point and then justified your own. Like I am literally hollering through my phone at you.

Go play on tik tok or something. No more BSMD stuff for you.

3 Likes

Community members represent your future patient population. As a physician, talking to patients is one of the most parts of your job. If you can’t listen to and talk comfortably with your patients, then you’ve failed as a physician. You won’t be able to get a good history and your patients won’t “buy in” to your diagnosis and treatment plan.
And despite what someone above said, a community member won’t be more impressed by your research than a physician or med student might be. Research is probably the least important facet of a BA/MD or med school application.

3 Likes

Don’t read too much into these numbers. Typically only medical students with required USMLE scores or research or strong LORs for those specialties will apply i.e. self selection. Some apply to multiple specialties and that may skewer the stats.

yeah im good now, my bad. I just thought logically and that if someone got a doctor that menas they definitely did some sort of rankking system before the interviews itself.