Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Can you please explain how you were able to get these statistics? Would like to get similar ones for UVA and Georgetown. Thank you.

We donā€™t know much about Union. GL!

I was waitlisted for a UMKC interview. If I havenā€™t heard back yet, was I rejected? I think interviews have finished.

This is a public forum. I would strongly recommend taking all personal information down as that is what PM is meant for.

Here are few other things for BSMD student to meet, in addition to GPA/MCAT requirements:
Students in these programs who meet the following criteria while taking prerequisites at the College of Health Sciences will be admitted to the College of Medicine (COM) at CNU:

• Successfully complete the COM pre-requisite coursework
  • Maintain a 3.50 GPA in the undergraduate program and be in good standing each semester
  • Participate in at least one volunteer activity per year with COM
  • Score 510 or higher on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
  • Submit an application through the American Medical College Application Services (AMCAS) and a supplemental application to CNUCOM
  • Satisfy COMā€™s Technical Standards (http://medicine.cnsu.edu/students-com/admissions)
  • Successfully complete the COM interview

The CHS will hold Mock Interviews to prepare students for the COM interview process.
http://www.healthsciences.cnsu.edu/programs-offered/bs-md-combined-program/about

Personally I donā€™t trust either some rankings web site that some people here swear by endlessly or some stats some people cite to show down some med schools (like UABā€™s).

Regarding the stats there can be multiple reasons. Seems UAB has preference for instate followed by regional students for BS/MD as well as traditional. Also their mission may be to promote social equity. Another factor could be high cost for OOS students. All these may contribute to lowering of stats compared to some other schools which donā€™t care. Despite that it is one of the best state medical schools out there.

Some other schools also suffer from such policies, such as Michigan State which is a very good med school. On the other hand schools like NJMS are trying to diversify their student base by recruiting more OOS students through BS/MD by giving sops like instate tuition for med school, price breaks and even free rides by their feeders etc, which is helping them raise their profiles. They may boast higher stats, but donā€™t come close.

Check with any one with decent exposure to medical profession about their impressions on UAB, I am sure they will range between positive to wonderful. It has an international level reputation and is considered a top program for some residency fields.

2 Likes

Has anyone received any official interview updates for Case Western PPSP?

No further update from PPSP.

I just received an update for SLU and got accepted in their Medical Scholars Program. Is this a prestigious/good program? I know med school isnā€™t guaranteed but their email was kinda confusingā€¦is the interview guaranteed?
Does anyone know if they released results for their presidential scholarship winners?

7 Likes

Thank you, I will tell my D!

Just received acceptance email SLU Medical Scholars Program.

Normally they are sent via USPS mail, because of the Covid-19 and possible delivery delays, SLU decided to send them over the email also.

6 Likes

Presidential scholarship finalists recommendations are forwarded to the SLU presidentā€™s approval. As soon as president approves they will announce the recipients. I think they may announce within next two weeks.

Presidential recipients will get full tuition award at SLU. Finalists but not recipients will receive additional merit award on top of their Vice Presidential award (25K/year) or other award. I believe, it was additional 2K/year in last couple of cycles.

1 Like

Did you receive an email or saw the invite in the portal?

email

1 Like

when is stony brookā€™s bs/md sending interviews?

1 Like

It is the ā€œgoogle searchā€ tool. There is no one place where you can find such data for other universities. Please search for each university and see if you can find anything similar. GL.

1 Like

FYI, The data was published by UAB on their website and is available for everyone to access. It has been pasted here for the convenience of readers of this thread. There was a mention of MCAT score 506 (68%) for BSMD candidates to matriculate to UAB medical school. This data supplements that fact with entire UAB medical school classes for several
years.
Any one can make his/her own conclusions with factual data. The data shows the caliber of the entering class and MCAT score is a universal measure of preparedness for the rigor of medical school. It seems to correlate with USMLE-1 performance. Residencies are filled by students from all medical schools in USA and FMG/IMGs.

1 Like

Got into slu med scholars too :slight_smile:

6 Likes

^^^same question

1 Like

I believe they select 100+ candidates and then filter them out and itā€™s not guaranteed, I believe you need to meet some thresholds for interview invitation. Itā€™s mid tier program but bird club will tell you to ignore tiers :slight_smile: