Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Rice/Baylor already had 3 seats reserved for TX residents. Do you know OOS seats have been nixed here ? Another BSMD program bites the dust. It is as good as non-existent for OOS applicants, IMO.

@AlenaD was asking about dual enrollment with a college in Cal 3 Differential Equations course at her Dā€™s high school which is almost a requirement for any Engineering major in college.

2 Likes

Yes, Penn State is one of his top choices for UG.

2 Likes

We received it too, nothing big.

I have an NJMS interview scheduled for next Tuesday, but I donā€™t think I will go to this program after getting into GPPA. Would it be rude or unprofessional to cancel that interview with such short notice? If I do cancel, should I just email them?

1 Like

As I understand it, the three seats are being taken from among all the 25 interviewees, both in and out of state.

DD requested to withdraw from Drexel interview at short notice and we hope that opened up a spot for someone on waitlist. If you havenā€™t taken the interview and will not attend even if offered a spot after interview, makes sense to cancel IMO.

Emailing them is fine, that is what my DD did and the BSMD coordinator literally got back within minutes. Then the UG emailed her after a couple of days asking if she wants to withdraw from Drexel altogether or whether her email was specific to just the BSMD interview, and DD confirmed she would like to withdraw completely from Drexel.

4 Likes

There is nothing rude about it, actually its opposite of it. You are saving your and interviewers time and hopefully helping someone to get an interview invite as they are rolling.

Please do withdraw if you are 100% certain you donā€™t want to consider a program, which you are with UIC GPPA.

2 Likes

Yes, I am withdrawing right now! What should be the reason that I provide for the withdrawal?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s ridiculous! If they want to take only take 3, why inviting 25 kids for interviews. These programs are playing with kids and their parentsā€™ emotions.

4 Likes

Tell that you got into another BSMD program and wish to withdraw from NJMS. Believe me they would not mind you going to another BSMD program. You may want to withdraw from Drew University UG.

My DD kept it generic saying her plans have changed and she would like to withdraw. Upto you what your want to share.

There is a ready audience of parents and HS seniors who apply to Rice/Baylor (Prestige Factor is in play here, IMO) in spite of fact that there are very slim chances( 3 TX + 3 OOS to be selected).

When we came to know that Rice/Baylor accepts only 3 + 3, we dropped it from our initial list of schools. Similarly UConn when we learned they normally take 2 OOS. Thanks to this forum all along.

Any feedback you would like to share why Drexel is not a good choice?

This year though, they told the 25 interviewees that they were only taking 3 instead of their normal 6 (3 from Texas and 3 from out of state). The 3 selected are being chosen from those 25 shortlisted candidates, regardless of location. They didnā€™t indicate why this change happened.

Same here, didnā€™t know about Rice before

Why canā€™t they interview 10-15 just to take 3-6? They have their # of applications to accepted % unchanged anyways due to flooding of applications they got

1 Like

I knew right after they mentioned it during the interviews but I hoofed back from saying anything on here since I knew folks would freak.

Did you attend their interview?