Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Hi everyone, my DS got accepted into the Med Scholars program and invited to the Presidential Scholarship Interview, but rejected from the SLU Honors program. He has pretty good stats and a good essay with a good relationship with his admissions counselor. Does this seem a bit odd to anyone else and should we inquire about the decision? He can apply again after 1st semester, but will miss out on housing opportunities for first year. Thanks!

If you can, appeal to Honors program and see if they can reverse the decision. Otherwise, there is not much you can do.

2 Likes

Wait until you hear back about the Presidential Scholarship first, then write them explaining that another college has just offered him a place in their honors program. If this school canā€™t revisit that for him, then Iā€™d tell them itā€™s ciao.

1 Like

The invitation part in the beginning of the SBUā€™s email was bit confusingā€¦ā€œWe are delighted to invite you to become a member of the Honors Collegeā€™s Class of 2025!ā€
Invitation Vs Accepted. :slight_smile:
My SBU Application Portal hasnā€™t been updated, it still shows UG Acceptance, no word about Honors acceptance. Hopefully, it will be updated eventually!

to @love4bsmd : good luck to your DC!

It will be odd if you get a presidential scholarship but not honors program. Also presidential scholarship, they invite so many applicants, I remember whole hall was full with students and parents. I got more of an impression that it is a more a marketing pitch. This year it may be different as interview would be virtual.

1 Like

Hi, you mean 17 out of the 44 that interviewed last year (based on their website)?

[bump]

Is stony brook still sending out WISE program decisions?

1 Like

If anyone has a Drexel interview tomorrow, have they sent out the schedule yet?

We are opposite of what you are intend to have, opted out of Honors where possible for bsmd programs. Its little more additional academic burden in UG when you are looking for good GPA, so why!

SLU does not have an added advantage such as additional scholarship, priority class registration etc. It only provides opportunity to live in HLC (Honors Learning Community).

If you are Med Scholar, you have 100+ strong like-minded student body already (becomes 60+ by sophomore year :grin:) and I am guessing some like ourselves will not be in Honors college. So, I would not worry about it too much. And, you can always join later as well!

Anything specific for living in the spring hall residence where HLC is located?

1 Like

There are 3 Honors programs in SBU as you know- 1)Honors College, 2)University Scholars & 3)WISE.

Did you choose Honors College? I still say donā€™t read too much into that sentence with invite. You probably are admitted into Honors college (honors) program. Others who received WISE honors program they specified it for them.

The following were my DCā€™s choices in common app:
Honors College : Yes
University Scholars : Yes
Preferred Program : My preference would be The Honors College

Thank you so much for your reply! I definitely agree with you, I just didnā€™t know if i should be worried or feel like Iā€™m missing out. As of right now, Iā€™m not looking to live in Spring Hall just because of its price range, but Iā€™m between Grand Hall and Griesedieck Hall. All the best to you in your search!

You got into your preferred honors program then :clap:

1 Like

Yes. I got this info from my friend. 3 from BIOE and 14 from NSM/AL out of 44 (NSM/AL- 35, BIOE-9) *

It seems official that BU undergrad announcement date is now March 27th. So depending on whether or not SMED is going with them, folks applying to the program may or not have to wait.

Congratulations!

Not yet.

Based on what I saw on SLU website, I think med scholars live in Reinert hall. I donā€™t know if it is required or not though

Thank you for the analysis and advice. When you say that ā€œit is up to the Cā€ does C stand for cost? Factoring in the fact I have a full ride at UCF and, well, lets just say not a full ride at SLU, would that change your preference in my situation? I am having a hard time gauging the risk in attempting BMSā€™s more rigorous requirements and chancing not making it through although it costs substantially less than SLU.

For me, money will be a substantial factor but not a be-all-end-all.
If it is unlikely I will meet the BMS requirements, it may be worth it to take a debt hit at SLU. Curious what you all think, is a 3.6/3.7/3.8 GPA (fresh, soph, junior year) and 514 MCAT requirement worth dropping a full ride to be safe?