Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Kiddo got a very nice package from Rochester today with a tshirt as a post interview, congrats on having been a finalist type gift. Thought it was a nice gesture.

8 Likes

Hope itā€™s a positive sign.

yeah, but thatā€™s like 1000 lbs teak wood door :rofl: Same goes to schools in Boston and Philadelphia.

The data is for Rutgers-Brunswick students who applied to medical schools during previous cycle. NJMS, RWJ and Rowan DO prefer in-state NJ residents. It shows a healthy nearly 70% acceptance rate for those with GPA 3.5-4.0 including DO schools. The average MCAT score was 512 for those accepted to allopathic medical schools and MCAT 505 for DO schools. If GPA is below 3.5 one may need to do graduate work before being accepted (footnote says it).

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine 13

Here is information about NJ medical schools. The columns are # of applicants, in-state %, out-of-state %, men %,woman %, # of matriculants, in-state matriculants %, out-of-state matriculants %, men matriculants %,woman matriculants %

1 Like

Like over the weekend. I believe only the merit scholarship recipients.

For HMH, yes I would be staying at home. When I checked on their website, it said that for students living at home, it would be 65/year. Maybe Iā€™m wrong.

Look at the tuition cost only not expected living costs when staying off-campus.

D talked to a friend in their 3rd year of medical school at SLU who was a medical scholar. The student loved her experience there and she took a major where she was able to maintain the GPA. She said that the weeding out mostly happened for people majoring in tough science classes. She said even in her toughest classes, the professors would curve them so she was able to get a good grade. IMO, if you play your cards right (talk to the right students, pick good professors for classes, take an ā€œeasierā€ major), you can enjoy your undergrad experience and get to medical school. She also got to pursue many activities such as study abroad on their other campus, so ultimately the advantage of the SLU program is that you get to do many of the things you want to. Especially 3rd and 4th year, she did not have to do anything aside from classwork. She also said that 30/100 made it to the medical school and all who made it to the interview stage were accepted (except 1 who had some issues meeting non-GPA requirements such as volunteer and shadowing hours). Essentially, if you do what they tell you to you can go to a top-tier med school.

1 Like

When did SLU become top-tie med school? Itā€™s ranked in 70s by both USNWR and program directors.

Accepted to SBU/GW program!

11 Likes

Hahahahaahaha I am laughing because in writing that post I knew someone would nitpick rather than actually read the post. :joy:

Not sure about you but I doubt most of the people on this forum are concerned with actual rankings. US medical school is US medical school. Regardless, post was not meant for you.

Congrats!!!

1 Like

The issue raised was the attrition during first year and surviving through weed out classes through first year and start of second year when 3.65 GPA is needed for an interview. Any medical school will have nearly same pre-requisites namely,
2 semester of Calculus, 2 semester of General Chemistry, 2 Semester of Organic Chemistry, 2 semester of Biology, 2 semester of Physics. These are weed out courses. The third and fourth year may have more of your major course work.

Of course, I agree with you, however, students who are motivated to understand the material will be able to succeed. Obviously, I only know what I have heard and students have said that SLU professors are very willing to help. Organic chem was our friendā€™s hardest class, but by end of the semester, the class was curved so even an 85 became an A. It is possible as a portion of the class ā€œsurvivesā€ the program each year, and students qualified enough to get into a BS/MD shouldnā€™t have many problems. Not suggesting to choose one way or the other, just my 2 cents.

It seems the class started with 80 in first year, 45-50 at the start of 2nd year and may be 35 when interviews were conducted according to SLU BSND student quoted by @govever70 in the post above. Have no skin in SLU BSMD either. May be 30 will be accepted to SLU SOM out of 35 interviewed, an educated guess.

No post is meant for me because I have no skin in this game and I am not nitpicking anything :rofl: You are the one who said itā€™s a top-tier school so you must be paying attention to tiers/rankings :grinning: Next time just stick to pros and cons of each school but not tiers or ranks or as some one claims that students at particular school are performing better than any other school.

I do agree that MD (or even DO) degree from any accredited US medical school is good.

Yes this sounds right

I know for a fact that Robert Wood Johnson rated lowly by some ratings agency is a very good med school. Lot better than many other schools rated higher by that same agency. Personally know many kids who went there and came out phenomenally successful.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œrk2017, post:9394, topic:2096007, full:trueā€]

No one ever said just go by rankings but even those who claim that they donā€™t pay attention to keep bring up different ranking sites or tiers. You canā€™t have it both ways.