Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Thanks for the reply. I actually took a class at UC Denver in the mid 90s. At the time it was a commuter school. They have dorms now (still mostly a commuter school). It’s in a group of schools (like Stonybrook or Kent State) that my son wouldn’t consider if not for BSMD potential and it’s tough to get a read on the undergrad experience there.

I’m a U.S CItizen but our family had to relocate out of the country starting my High school (9th).

Just wondering what are the chances of getting into bs/md programs for U.S citizen who studied IB curriculum outside the U.S.  I have been hearing that chances are slim for me as most Universities prefer someone who has done high schooling within the U.S.

Has anyone in that situation and what are your thoughts?. please let me know.

@goldsole

1. The chances are slim for any BS/MD student but not done HS in US should not affect. But read each program which you would like to apply for any specific requirements about this.
  2. Assume you plan to do your BS/BA in US. That is very critical if you still plan to matriculate in to MD after 4 years.

@Didjaco

1. Assume you and your C has gone thru the details at their the web site. They have given detailed information.

https://clas.ucdenver.edu/health-professions-programs/babs-md-program-information#program_information-69

1. Though don't know much about UG school, CO medical school is good.
  2. There is an BS/MD info session coming up this month and ask your C to attend.
  3. Also ask your C to see if any one who has recently done UG at that school to get a first hand input.
  4. Just apply since dates are coming up very shortly . Later worry about should attend or not.
  5. Apply to few other BS/MD programs and also to your C's preferred UG schools.
  6. Site keep repeating it is for Primary Care medicine. Though COM does the interview during BS/MD process, but also appears doing another interview during MD (that is unusual but again not to worry about all these details until you get BS/MD admission)

Yep, their site is pretty informative but still tough to get a sense of what 4 years at UC Denver feels like.

Thanks again for the reply!

Actually, while so many knowledgeable posters are following this thread, I have a question my wife, my son and I are wondering about when it comes to his essays. He has participated in some medical research (might even get a publication before he graduates but probably not before bsmd applications are due) and lots of volunteer work but his main extracurriculars are sports, which don’t seem to be discussed as a hook in this 47 page thread (that I’ve read in its entirety).

He won’t be playing baseball seriously in college but he’s an excellent player and had his team’s highest batting average for JV and then varsity as a sophomore and actually finished with the second highest batting average for his school’s league. He was set for an excellent junior season which of course was cancelled by covid. He also runs cross country (his PR for 5k is in the 19s) and is small forward on a city rec league basketball team with his friends from school.

His academics are strong (4.0 UW, his school doesn’t weigh but he has 7 APs already and will have completed 4 more this year for a total of 11, 36 ACT all sections, 1460 SAT on only try as a junior which he didn’t repeat because of Covid and his perfect ACT). He is also an excellent violonist and is concertmaster for his school orchestra and a first violinist for our top-tier city-wide youth orchestra. I’m white and my wife is Asian so I’m guessing that makes him an ORM (or white? or multiracial?).

Anyway, the question for those who have read this whole post comes down to whether he should discuss his sports much on BSMD applications or would it distract from the “medicine at all costs” persona it seems like these programs are looking for. Maybe it varies by program but we’d hate to emphasize his sports if it might be a detriment to his overall application. When I interview applicants for my own field, I appreciate prior athletes on team sports who know how to support teammates, follow a coach’s game plan and experience the adversity of hitting slumps, injuries, etc.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

Your S has a balanced profile with a great GPA, ACT score, volunteering and research experience. Some medical related ECs like doctor shadowing, hospital exposure as volunteer may help. Being an JV athlete is a plus but it will not make him jump to the front of the line. As far as race is considered, it depends how does one identify him/herself (multiracial ?). For any candidate these are great stats. Good luck.

@Didjaco

Regarding the undergrad quality or experience, that is sometimes what folks have to compromise on for a guaranteed seat. However most non accelerated programs (except Brown’s) don’t seem to have an issue with the students applying out without having to lose the guarantee. You may be required to inform the program director about the intention in advance though. So one still will have the flexibility of exploring out and decide the future course in senior year undergrad.

Alternatively if one is decided on staying the course with the same program and find the undergrad not so rigorous, can choose to overload by taking more courses each semester and finish the undergrad early. Can use the additional year full time for something enriching like research, academics, working in healthcare, volunteering, something fulfilling at personal level etc. You may want to ask the program officials for more about both the above options when it comes to that to factor in eventual decision making.

There were some references to sports as extra curricular and it’s role on this thread. As an example you can refer to my post number 413 earlier. Also may want to search the thread with key words like sports, athlete/athletic, ball etc. to find relevant posts.

Also someone started another thread on similar lines where I commented also. On a personal note, feel C’s participating in state championships winning marching band team of their high school may have helped in gaining acceptance in a reputed and C’s top choice accelerated program few years back (though Marching band is not treated on par with sports).

Below is the link to the above mentioned thread.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22864050#Comment_22864050

@Didjaco

It is a myth if any one assumes MD or BS/MD admission expects only on medical related aspects. On the contrary having diverse and unique experience of a student is asset for any admission. That reflects a person’s passion, dedication, ability to balance multiple tasks and make critical decision on multiple priority items on a ongoing basis. That is the skill and trait needed for any profession including medicine. So your S growing with those unique skills.

So let him apply to both BS/MD including the UC Denver but also to many UG programs of his choice since he has already expressed his interest and open to try in the traditional MD route later. But let him be aware that he need to continue the characteristic during his UG also to reach that goal.

In your case ORM, URM or neither does not matter unless your wife is Vietnamese.
Also unless your S is keen to study or practice in CO, CO does not matter and should be open to explore for UG and MD in other states also (Unfortunately CO is not a cheap IS for MD - if finance is a critical component).

When time comes, let him apply to few top BS/MD programs + UC Denver + all his preferred UG. Later in April do the analysis and decide to pursue BS/MD or UG.

Really appreciate everyone’s replies here. Thanks again.

@nebsmd

Your stats and background are just fine, typical of most BS/MD applicants. However if you are from ORM (asian) background, GPA and ACT are a shade lower. That must be the case with many though because if what’s going on. Hope you can pull up the ACT score a notch higher in the upcoming one.

Some of the BS/MD programs you are applying to have single digits or barely double digit intakes and at least one is more of EAP flavor, not necessarily guaranteed. So you may want to think it over again where it makes more sense to apply and spend your time and efforts on. Try your best on essays since they can be the interview fetchers at this stage. Also recommend going through some of the past few posts to get a feel of what it entails in this application cycle and any alternate plans. If you are busy have your parents, siblings or friends do it for you and summarize.

Thank you, what is EAP flavor?

@nebsmd

Northwestern isn’t accepting applications this round. Just a heads up

Has anyone heard of updates regarding requirements of submitting subject test scores to meet program requirements (especially for NJMS’s affiliate colleges)? Is George Washington/SBU remaining firm on score requirements for math/science subject tests for this years cycle?

@nebsmd Early Assurance programs are not guaranteed and you apply to the medical school during college (typically sophomore year.)

Temple is an example of a program in-between Early Assurance and a true, guaranteed BS/MD program, as you’ll still need to interview with the medical school (at some programs this is just a formality.)

Hope that helps! Good luck with admissions!

Thank you all!
@mom2boys1999 - I will remove HPME from my list.
@PikachuRocks15 - Do you know which one from my list is EAP?

@nebsmd

You are fine with your profile and list of colleges/programs. The only suggestion, review Rice/Baylor and Baylor/Baylor and go with one of it. I would suggest Rice/Baylor, even if you don’t get BS/MD, Rice is a solid UG program for Pre-Med and with many advantages.

Temple EAP but based on a student/parent who just matriculated to Temple MD this fall, it is not to be alarmed and go for it (especially you are PA).

There are NO true guaranteed BSMD program since all have some conditions attached to be met before one can matriculate to MD phase. An acceptance to program is not a guaranteed admission to MD phase unless those conditions are met. So there is a no risk-less BSMD program by definition. Do not live in this DELUSION of a risk less world. Covid 19 pandemic is a real example of risks in a daily life. One should learn to accept risks and ways to mitigate those risks as needed. First determine your own risk appetite i.e. how much risk one can bear. There is a whole field devoted to risk management one such example is insurance industry( life, property, health or auto insurance).
By the definiton of risk less world, one should stay inside because of COVID 19 until there is a zero risk of catching the virus.
@nebsmd
As an ORM, apply widely and do not expect much. Your stats are towards the lower end. This whole BSMD admission process is very unpredictable. Be prepared to go via regular route MD.

@rk1235rk
After you submit your application on common app, the college will be like to send you a link to check the status of your application. The status page will tell you if your transcript or any other requirement is missing. Make sure you check the status page. Submit your application at least 1 week before the deadline because the school may not provide you the link to the status page until a few days later. You do not want to be late because your counselor didn’t turn in your transcript.
Also, you shouldn’t have to pay your HS to pay for transcript even if the school is not on common app if yours is a public HS.

@nebsmd
Your list for BSMD is unrealistic with your stats as an ORM. Even Rutgers-NJMS is highly unlikey interview one with a 3.85 UW GPA. You should add other BSMD programs to have have a realistic chance of having at least ONE acceptance. IMO, remove the following BSMD programs from the above list.

Brown PLME ED- I know this is long reach.
Northwestern HPME-- I know this is long reach.
Penn State Thomas Jefferson - No PA state preference
Baylor2Baylor - Too few seats and OOS
Rutgers/NJMS - Not great stats
Case western- PPSP - Not great stats
RPI/Albany - No prior research experience for RPI and 2.85 UW GPA
REMS - Not great stats