Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Is that a generic template for all the schools in consideration? :wink:

Hi! When will it be an appropriate time for college matriculating class of 2022 to start asking questions for the previous cycle students? I have a couple of questions (and I want to get started on my apps early) but want to make sure that I am asking at an appropriate time. Thanks!

And remember that a rejection doesn’t define you, all of you are awesome!!

Don’t know. We sensed high-stress vibes in some visits when we toured with older one. It is harder to sense it on virtual interviews, I agree, but DD said students at PSU-DKMC interview stood out distinctly as being genuinely comfortable and happy.

Sorry to hear about this and all other turndowns despite having wonderful stats and ECs. Hope GWU and PLME will be the game changers. Traditional route may offer a much smoother path for an URM though. For example the other day some one pointed on the other thread that 33% of incoming class at Wisconsin med school for class of 2020 are URM.

On a side note though for ORMs, don’t go by the often cited MCAT and gpa stats here from the med school websites. They are only average figures. As mentioned earlier the expectation for ORMs would be to have 4 to 8* points higher than those average stats to have a realistic chance, no guarantees though.

1 point higher (out of 132) on each of the 4 sections of MCAT= 4 points higher total

2 points higher on each section = 8 points.

It may be relatively easier in your own state school though like for example Michigan State if you happen to be a resident there but still very competitive if that happens to be like UVA.

3 Likes

@rk2017 - what other site are you referring to if I may ask? Thanks.

@HarryGryffindor - It looks like you are a junior this year and thinking of BSMD in the 2022 cycle.

Regular UG route can be cheap if you go for in-state or accept a UG seat where they are willing to give you full ride to students with merit (NMF etc.). Hardly any SOM (except NYU) gives full rides. Also, you might considering applying for scholarships (Coca-cola etc.) where they give out 25K per year if you become a scholar.

BSMDs are expensive. Without scholarships, 7 years programs cost less than 8 years programs. Public university for UG and SOM cost less than UG and SOM for Private universities. Your instate program will probably cost you less compared to another other program. Some colleges do give scholarships. Some 8 years programs (Drexel, Stony Brook) may give scholarships to some selected students so cost-wise they are as attractive as 7 years programs. Some programs like OU, NJIT, Temple, BU etc. have given presidential awards to students in their UG part if they are National Merit Finalists (NMF).

Penn State gives only 2500 per year NMF scholarship. They dont give out any other merit aid to BSMD students. Having said that it is a 7 years program. The fees for 3 years at UG is like other big public universities. Medical school for this program is Jefferson/SKMC (private) and costs for next 4 years is similar to other schools of medicine (SOM). If you have lots of APs, they do allow you to get credit for those which could result in cost savings. We personally found PSU/SKMC to be one of the cheapest programs for the value we were getting from risk vs. return point of view.

I would say, once you get a number of seats, you need to calculate the total cost holistically (including flight charges if it in the opposite end of the USA to where you live). Compare the cost for all colleges that admitted you and then decide.

4 Likes

@sanjana.collegeapps2 -
I recommend reading my post earlier on called “How to get into BSMD checklist” posted in the second/third page of this forum. Also recommend reading the BSMD Results from 2020, 2019 cycles to see the trend.

If you still have questions, Go ahead and ask.

Follow the facts, not 4-8 points higher myth. ORMs are not compared themselves against Latinos and URMs, rather ORMs themselves.

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2020-10/2020_FACTS_Table_A-18.pdf

2 Likes

It is Student Doctor Network frequently visited by @srk2017 and others.

1 Like

ORMs do need as per the table approximately 2 points higher in MCAT than majority group.

— deleted

1 Like

I don’t visit, I live there :rofl:

Which section or area interest you the most under medical category ?

Fear trumps facts :slight_smile:

That is the case for matriculants because it is the case for applicants. But its nowhere near even 4 points, let alone 8. Creating an unnecessary fear doesn’t help community.

I am not reading that much under yet medical students category, still focusing on premed section. Once cycle is over I will get there :slight_smile: DS is interested in surgery so will be looking into those closely. I already have few attending friends on that site wo tends to agree with what I say.

The point was that ORMs are held to a higher standard - not an equal/fair playing field for all.

3 Likes

Does not all surgery residencies need a General Surgery(5 years) as a prerequisite to do the specialization like neuro, plastic etc?

No point in looking at stats whether it’s MCAT or yield rates. It’s simple math for ORMs, get 3.8 GPA, 517 MCAT and get around 150 hours in medical and non-medical ECs and some research experience you will get into medical schools that are better than most BSMD programs. Anyone who has applied for BSMD already should know this and are already ahead of most premeds. Even though HS activities don’t count you can build up on them easily and have a headstart.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. I haven’t looked at all of them, but Ortho, Optho and Urology don’t need. I only pay attention to what my S is interested. A friend’s kid matched to Urology (traditional path candidate from UCB UG).