Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

No not any particular link, and don’t think any such exists for any med school giving out that info for each group.

This is general observation speaking to students and parents over the years who were kind enough to share their details and comparing with their respective med school intake profiles. No secret that ORMs are expected to be coming in with higher profiles and their stats exceed the average stats. More so in the more competitive med schools.
As an example that I cited earlier in this thread, know a perfect scorer (528), Harvard undergrad with 2 years of gap still didn’t making it to HMS (where the average MCAT for incoming class is like what, 519?)

May be your n=1 sample Harvard UG needed a PhD but lacked other distinguishing credentials beyond MCAT score. Statistically, it is an irrelevant sample point to make any generalization.

2 Likes

DD has yet to hear from Stony Brook.

Yes there is no certainty, That is why all students from apply to multiple schools. Few years back I remember my elder son with premed traditional path got in T15 medical school but was rejected by lower ranked schools. Same may apply to BS MD programs. Traditional path like BS MD is equally competitive ORM’s but big names like Harvard undergrad help if not HMS but hitting other 19 of T20 is mostly reachable if you are not selected on academic basis and not in sports or other category.

3 Likes

Also for hitting MD PHD T 10 programs criteria is different and HMS is very selective.

1 Like

I know an ORM student got Harvard this year with less MCAT score than my kid because she has different experiences than him and probably they like that. So without knowing full details this is another useless data point. My kid has 3 T5 admissions so he is an exceptional candidate to be blunt, but different schools look for different things and we didn’t expect him to get all T5s or T10s. anyone who paid attention to admissions should know.

Yes there is no fixes criteria on selection.

Medical school is only one piece but ranked names may not be similarly ranked in specialty residency programs.

Lower ranked schools associated with medical centers like UPMC can have have higher ranked residency programs.

Yes, it’s not a simple game but those who does proper home work both at school and about schools come out ahead vs those who fell for the false propaganda :grinning:

Frankly I am not sure why you are even considering BSMD over Stanford. What’s the hesitation again?

1 Like

I agree risk averse parents push kids into these programs which are not cheap and binding.

1 Like

Still cannot understand the cost rationale programs like PLME program getting locked with undergrad cost and its not even a T30 Medical school.

Brown has unique UG curriculum and lot of kids like that and residency matching is good despite T40 ranking and big BSMD intake. I still won’t take it over Harvard and Stanford or T20 merit like Vandy/Rice/WashU

And the worst part is sites like Collegevine and others consultants rank PLME as the TOP BS MD Program.

Has anyone looked into how much research and clinical NIH finding Brown Alpert Medical school has as compared to top schools? Does brown have any ranked specialty residency programs. ?

Plastic Surgery?

I do not see it in Top 30.

Top 25 US Integrate and Independent Plastic Surgery Programs based on Overall rankings.
Integrated Plastic Surgery
Program Independent Plastic Surgery Program
1 Harvard Harvard
2 Stanford University University of Pennsylvania
3 University of Michigan University of Pittsburgh
4 UCLA NYU
5 University of Pennsylvania Johns Hopkins
6 Washington University in St Louis University of Southern California
7 NYU University of Cincinnati
8 Johns Hopkins Emory University
9 University of Pittsburgh University of Florida
10 Duke University UC Davis
11 Ohio State University Vanderbilt University
12 University of Cincinnati UT Southwestern
13 UC San Francisco University of Utah
14 Emory University Jackson Memorial
15 Cleveland Clinic Cooper University Hospital Program
16 University of Southern California University of Virginia
17 Northwestern University of Illinois Chicago
18 Yale Iowa
19 Baylor Dartmouth
20 University of Chicago Rush University
21 UT Southwestern University of Alabama at Birmingham
22 University of Washington LSU
23 University of Florida Indiana University
24 Texas A & M / Scott and White Lahey Clinic Program
25 University of Kentucky Temple University

Thanks! I don’t know why I thought it was up there.

If your goal is getting into medicine BS MD Programs take you in medicine but for top speciality matching and getting into top programs As @srk2017 mentioned you need a plan and ranking matters not the ones provided by BS MD consultants.

2 Likes

Thanks!

@sam2024 @srk2017

Because it is up to the kid. His life, his choice. Right now it is his top choice but he wants to see how Ivy Day ends up before committing.

It’s funny that people assume it is pushy parents. I should introduce y’all to my son. There’s a meme about secondborn kids that says “second born kids ain’t with the bulls****; second one doesn’t give a …” and I feel that in my soul. :grimacing::woman_facepalming:t2:

I save my pushing for things like “Be nice to your brother” or “you need to do some physical exercise today and put the book down.”

15 Likes

Yeah, with 180 residency positions and
It is a favorite of a few MD aspirants.
How many at Temple University fellowship program ?
Two positions are available each year in Temple’s Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship Program.

1 Like