Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@goldsole
Last cycle we met an US citizen applicant from Taiwan who interviewed with SUNY Upstate and UMKC. Check out those two schools to see if they still accept US Citizen who goes to HS in another country.
I think most of the BS MD programs accept US Citizen and do not care if student graduates from another country. This is a special case so you may want to e-mail/call the schools to make sure.

@nebsmd
I agree with @grtd2010
Also, if you apply to pre-med, biology, chemistry, or biochemistry to get ready for med school, you undergrad list is also unrealistic.

it seems this program is limited to Denver downtown campus and focus on only those who wants to be a primary care physician. Find out if one can apply out later.

Correction :
RPI/Albany - No prior research experience for RPI and 3.85 UW GPA

I personally think one has to really think hard about going to Rice or similar branded schools for traditional undergrad, if truly interested in medicine as a career. To echo from my post number 895 earlier, firstly one can’t expect any price breaks other than need based and so will have to spend a fortune just for the undergrad. And then on the med school. Rice doesn’t have its own either.

Secondly the competition may be too hard and intense on most students to achieve high gpas at undergrad level. So better do due diligence and evaluate pros and cons before making proper choice of school and major for traditional route.

Have come across or heard of too many cases where students going after prestige, often driven so by their parents, and ending up derailing their medicine plans completely. On the contrary also heard of many cases where people were contended going to state schools and doing extremely well in the med school admissions cycle.

In case of @nebsmd specifically Penn State may be an excellent choice considering it is a top notch research university with wide array of academic opportunities.

Do experienced member on this thread know which bsmd programs have a large amount of essays other than Brown?

@shortcake2467

Most will have 2-3 essays. Applying to the Honors program in conjunction with the other programs can make that number 4 or 5.

That last part isn’t true. I work, and have worked in multiple, public high schools. Many of them have fees. The fee at my current school is $1. I have worked at other schools where it was $3-$5.

Public schools are broke. Just think at large high schools- we have 500ish Seniors. If everybody requests one transcript, that’s a lot of paper, ink, and postage. I have worked at schools with 800 in a Senior class. It’s a massive undertaking for the Registrar during application season and at the end of the year.

@grtd2010
sir, can you take a look my post?

Hi all quick question on instate residency status when applying to MD in the future.

We are in Texas now and hoping the same in the future. If my son goes to another state for BS portion and then applies for MD/future in Texas, will he be considered Texas in state since we are residents/paying Taxes etc ?

Also do Texas MD schools have explicit or implicit preference to Students who studied BS in Texas ?

Thanks

Don’t have much guidance on this application process, so I was hoping to get some advice on here. I took the ACT in February without studying and got a 33. I planned to retake it after studying but my test date just kept getting cancelled. All my SAT and subject tests were also cancelled. Thoughts on submitting a 33 or just applying test-optional for the following programs:

Brown PLME
Baylor2Baylor
Rice/Baylor
REMS
Case western PPSP
Boston University
UMKC BA/MD
Cincinnati Connections
UAB EMSAP
UConn
Pitt GAP
S2M

Other than my ACT score, I think I have a pretty strong application. Maybe I should submit it for the less competitive programs but just apply test-optional for Baylor, Rice, Brown, Case, Rochester, BU, and Pitt. Not sure how competitive UMKC and S2M are. I really don’t know how being test optional will affect me. They say it’s “holistic” and I have a really strong application without the ACT (4.0 GPA and lots of volunteer, research, and clinical experience). But, realistically, of course they would prefer someone with a better score than one with no score.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

If you are not from ORM background (Asian) 33 ACT is quite decent (98% ile?). You can mention about the repeated test cancellations along with the dates you tried retaking somewhere on your application. Some of these programs are holistic and am sure won’t eliminate you just on that basis.
Personal feeling, better to apply with some score than with no score, even though the programs may say test optional.

For some background, I’m a caucasian female. Some of these programs only have 6 spots and 33 would be quite low, right
?

Even a 36 or 1600 can’t mean anything in programs with 6 spots. So why bother too much? Put your best efforts on the essays, often underestimated in importance, and see what happens.

During C’s admissions few years back, came across fellow interviewee in a couple of same programs applied to, during the follow-ups C found out seems she/he was selected in one of these 6 spot programs despite not having perfect everything.

@Jack2021
Your stats seem good and you should apply widely.

Here is the conversion table for SAT to ACT composite score, from a website.

IMO, For ORM applicants,

Excellent - SAT 1570-1600 is equivalent to ACT composite 36

Good - SAT 1530-1560 is equivalent to ACT composite 35

Fair - SAT 1490-1520 is equivalent to ACT composite 34

Decent - SAT 1450-1480 is equivalent to ACT composite 33

Marginal - SAT 1420-1440 is equivalent to ACT composite 32

Just apply and see what happens. You may be lucky to be selected in one of these programs. The competition is mainly among ORMs (read Asians).

I have a similar question (someone asked above about TX) - residency and likelihood of getting into state medical college - when a student goes to do his/her undergrad at a out-of-state college. I know in most states, a student does not qualify as resident just because he/she is study there (which is why they keep charging out-of-state tuition for all 4 years of undergrad). They are still considered resident of their parent’s state as they are still considered dependent. But how do instate medical schools treat those students when they apply for medical admission? Are they looked through same lenses than those who went to in-state undergrad?

By law, Texas medical schools should admit something like 80% Texas residents. The texas medical schools have their own admission process (https://www.tmdsas.com/).
There is a section on texas residency on the website.

Once one is determined to be a resident of the state, they should be treated as any other resident.

@helperdad & @rk1235rk

1. TX must matriculate 90% of seats to TX residents.
  2. Going to UG in a different state does not change the original residency state. In general it depends on the tax filing status and state rules and if the student continue to file under parents or separate etc. For all purpose assume if your parents are TX resident you will be IS for admission.
  3. When you file MD application, you have a declare a state and it has to be only 1 state in AMCAS or TX forms.