Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Although not published there has to some common yardstick to assess the candidates and so thinking rationally it will be Step 2. But, there will be other factors that will be assessed as well

I agree. However, I am trying to be open to change as per the changing social norms :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Every year handful from MIT join HMS.

T20 Medical schools give advantage to MIT candidates with slightly lower GPA as they know the rigor of the school. Again you are competing with the best and want to confirm how classes are curved.

1 Like

At the best 0.1 GPA padding. They can always find enough students with 3.8 GPA from schools like MIT, JHU and Cornell, known grade deflation schools.

In our case we prefer Harvard for Premed as compared to MIT.

For EC’s and access I think Harvard and MIT should be same for PreMed

1 Like

Taking MCAT alone will NOT prevent/decelerate other things by any measure. You need to do all the pre-req courses and that is the content. Agree, it is a pain for 6-8 hours exam and prep. It is part of medical career. Even if it is P/F, do you know the efforts it takes for Step 1. MCAT is a peanut.

1 Like

Know a student who went to MIT and did MD and doing residency at UCSF. Same student sibling went to UPenn and did not get MD when tried once but went in to different career. Both are ace students.

2 Likes

Meant, do you really know “REMSHOPEFUL123” is a he or she, out of curiosity. IIRC, there was an indication by OP, it is a “she”.

1 Like

It is hardly any bump of 0.1 for these schools. Some may regret going to these schools if miss out on a medical school admission.

UofR can be generous w merit aid. Kiddo got a $25k a year Bausch Lomb and $15k a year for some other merit scholarship.

He will not be attending. While he didn’t love the location during his visit, he was amenable to its geography for a BSMD program. Without the latter it is not nearly as attractive even w the aid.

I got into Cornell!!

16 Likes

Congratulations.

If you plan to go medicine route from Cornell, be on alert from day 1. Its known to be a tough Ivy for grading.

2 Likes

As an MD, I have excellent colleagues who are DOs, especially in primary care fields. That said, while there are some very respected DO programs, there are also a few for-profit DO medical schools (they have a board of directors rather than a board of trustees) and most of these newer, for-profit DO medical schools are not affiliated with large hospitals. If my son doesn’t get a BSMD spot, and doesn’t get accepted traditional in his first attempt for MD schools, I wouldn’t have any problem recommending he consider DO programs (not the for-profit ones) but unless things change in the next 8 years, it would make it difficult to match in any field he was interested in.

3 Likes

There is a lot of research into intermittent fasting on the MD-side as well (likely far more than on the DO-side, even if many DOs “support” intermittent fasting). Unfortunately, the applicability of diet changes in the US population is poor-- while many people try intermittent fasting on their own accord, it has low adherence when a physician directs it. Personally, as an MD, I’m a big fan of intermittent fasting for myself (I eat breakfast 5 or 10 days a year, I eat lunch 50 or 60 times a year and occasionally will have a 24-48 hour fast). For myself, it keeps me from getting tired after lunch and I suspect it gives the pancreas and counterregulatory hormone axis a nice work-out to maintain glucose/insulin homeostasis but there really isn’t an MD vs DO curriculum on intermittent fasting.

2 Likes

Thanks much for your insights

1 Like

Appreciate your valuable and credible perspective on this topic.

How was the MMI interview?

Any tips on the MMI interview?

So for fellowships, does the MD-DO duality still make a difference? For instance, doing pediatrics as a DO and then doing a neonatal/perinatal medicine fellowship? For fellowships do they care if you’re a DO or MD?

I’ve heard RowanSOM’s one of the better DO schools in America. Is that true?

Congrats!. Did you apply ED or something? I thought Ivy day is April 6.

2 Likes