Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

They do, DS got more T10 interviews than T11-T20 and then got WL from those. He has 3 T5 acceptances. Like UG they can figure out who may get top tier, but some give interview and put on WL in case they didn’t get T10. northwestern and Case Western are classic examples.

Anyone heard if stony brook is done sending interviews? I haven’t even heard back from their honors programs yet which I find odd because I got my UG decision back in December. I was really hoping (and thought I had the highest chances) to get into this program :((

Is the dress code formal? They didn’t say anything about that.

it has no bearing. You have to be accepted by Brown UG first. Then PLME will consider app

3 Likes

IMO, it is a more like NJMS marketing to applicants similar to second look sessions being held during regular MD.

It seems PLME has less number of ORMs compared to other BSMD programs as a percentage of the total hence it may be tougher for an ORM to be selected in PLME, IMO.

1 Like

PLME takes around 60 vs 10-20 by others, so can’t expect same percentages :slight_smile:

Where does it say 8% of applicants applied for PLME?

Is it an overall 3.6% offered admission rate for PLME 2019, not 8%?

PLME ADMISSIONS AT A GLANCE
Class entering 2019:
Number of applicants to PLME - 2641
Number offered admission to PLME - 94
20 Early Decision; 74 Regular Action
Number of PLME matriculants - 61
20 Early Decision; 41 Regular Action;
22 males; 39 females
https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/plme/information-prospective-students/admissions-facts-and-figures

How come?

Interestingly my elder son friend who was in PLME program left PLME seat after brown undergrad applied out and joined T15 school and matched in top surgical speciality

I think now you lose PLME as seat if you apply outside and some PLME a candidates move other medical school and switch away from medicine like Bobby Jindal.

1 Like

Jindal was admitted to the Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME), guaranteeing him a place at Brown Medical School. He did not pursue his Medical Doctorate. Jindal has been credited with leading Brown University’s College Republicans student group.[22]

It may be harder to maintain a 3.8 UG GPA compared to other places. You may not get any bump in UG GPA due to name recognition, IMO.

@RR3600

@cheer2021
I was using the numbers from this year but referenced the published PLME numbers for a response to another question.

1 Like

It is very easy to maintain GPA required by PLME program and they let you pursue other interests and are flexible.

My Point here is that some ORM’s who join PLME tend to leave after undergrad to pursue:

1. Better Medical Schools or
  2. Leave medicine and go in other areas of banking, WallStreet or public service

This can be one of the reason why male ORM are not prefered for PLME program.

It will be interesting to see how many PLME finally graduate from Brown’s ALpert Medical school.

Any verification that can be done ( at least two independent sources) for this claim or it is just your opinion only. If so, please clearly state in my opinion (IMO) or you can say that you are a Brown admission committee member if true.

If I remember correctly, students did not turn their cameras on. It was dean and other faculty talking.

IMO, there may be more than enough qualified ORMs applying to Brown PLME each year to match the % statistics at other BSMDs. It is just not the case at present.

If number of seats are less they can justify giving to higher percentage of ORMs but if you give 40 out of 60 to ORMs it looks bad.

1 Like

You may also find the below ED acceptance numbers useful. So perhaps half of the incoming classes are already filled from these early decisions (binding) pools.

3 Likes