Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

The mean MCAT score for medical students is 499.6 with a standard deviation of 10.6
Score of 510 reflects 84 percentile.

Same thing Brown looks for in its undergrad students + commitment to medicine.

Here is latest MCAT distribution for scores >= 510. 510 is only 80%.

Ideally one should take MCAT once after an excellent preparation. 515 is around 91% where as 512 is 85%

1 Like

Agree. The general wisdom is that one should not plan for taking MCAT more than once, and the possibility of scoring higher on second attempt is not high.

Thanks for putting the SAT scores out there to choose the path. Just trying to understand the rational behind the same. Is it based on the test taking ability?

Hi there: my daughter was recently accepted to the BSMD program at Virginia Commonwealth University. While she is very happy about the acceptance she is unsure of the kind of ā€œfitā€œ the school will be for her and felt more of a connection at the University of Connecticut where she was excepted to the stem scholars program. Itā€™s very difficult to find information on Virginia Commonwealth University experiences in the BSMD program. Would love to hear any input both positive and negative about this program. Would also love to hear about any experiences or advice you can offer regarding both the VCU BSMD program, and the UConn stem scholars program. Really hard to make such huge decisions at age 17šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø.

If you hate UAS so much, give up your spot at Upstate for another applicant who actually loves the undergrad and medical schools.

1 Like

If your D is sure about MD, take VCU BSMD as a bird-at-hand option, IMO.

They have to evaluate all the options available to them and then decide, have patience. You may not be the beneficiary anyway, no guarantees.

MCAT is not an easy exam to crack. Do not be fooled by SAT scores.

1 Like

I went to Suny Poly for my masters but I did not want my son to apply there as I felt he will be losing a lot on undergrad experience.

@frd2020

I donā€™t think he will. Rochester was attractive to him based on REMS. We actually visited the campus before quarantine started so he knew what he liked/disliked about the campus- the disliked would have been more agreeable with the med school guarantee.

Right now he has some really great options he likes and we are waiting to see how Ivy Day goes before he commits.

I am holding out hope for GW and Brown :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

I live in VA. VCU is in Richmond so itā€™s a city feel. Iā€™ve heard okay things about the campus and stuff but the school is good for pre-medicine and related studies. Iā€™ve heard the crime rate and partying is slightly higher than average so do some research on that. Itā€™s super competitive so congrats!

Hello as many know there is a two week deadline to accept or decline Upstateā€™s BS/MD offer. For us, that is a week before final decisions on all schools come out. Is this answer binding at all or rather a more tentative answer? Iā€™d hate to say no and regret it later. Thank you all in advance!

Hello. I am currently a sophomore. I want to get into a BS/MD program, but Iā€™m kinda worried if my lack of leadership positions would affect my chances. Iā€™ve been in 2 community service clubs at school since freshman year. Unfortunately, I didnā€™t get any leadership positions this year or for next year. But, I just applied for a HR manager position for a club that makes mental health podcast this year (so I guess it would count as second semester only). Would it look bad on applications if I joined a new club this year and got a leadership position? Also, I plan on starting a womenā€™s empowerment club next year? Would it look life a filler? I wanted to start it this year, but couldnā€™t due to COVIDā€¦

Same although we never got to visit. Got into Georgetown and we are waiting on 3 BSMD outcomes and ivys.

2 Likes

To be sure take professional advice. You have read the contract. Call the other party for any doubts and explanations.

If you get into NJMS can you select to attend any UG feeder school that you want (apart from the one that forwarded you to the med school)?

To be honest donā€™t worry about how your activities will look to others, it isnā€™t worth it. I found what was important was essays and a lot ask you to write about an activities, if you did all your activities just for appearance it is going to be hard to write a genuine essay about it and what you gained from it. I have no leadership roles until my senior year when I became NHS president and I founded a club this year. I had sports but no medical ECs either. To be frank EC wise I look like a horrible BSMD applicant :sweat_smile:. But I still got into a BSMD and I think it was due to my essays. I did activities I enjoyed and had a passion for and my interest in medicine showed through my essays. Iā€™m not saying donā€™t do ECs that look good, Iā€™m just saying donā€™t do them only because they look good. Enjoy what you do because then youā€™ll actually gain from it and not be miserable. So if you want to do womenā€™s club, a podcast, whatever, just do it if itā€™ll make you happy, cause that matters more and who knows what admissions offices will be looking for 2 years from now, they know COVID happened so they may be more lenient, I have no clue. So I wouldnā€™t worry about what colleges will think, but that is my 2 cents

5 Likes