Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I am not sure how probability of getting into medical schools is being calculated.

AAMC only measures MD applicants but many who are unsure apply to both MD and DO and some exclusively to DO. Probability for each applicant can also vary. A person who resides in Texas has a much higher probability of making into an MD program with 3.9 GPA and 512 MCAT score (50-70%) than someone in California who may have only 10% chance within state and those statistics are not great to compete for OOS school admissions. Then there are those listed as not being admitted to any school with 4.0 and 520+ scores which actually means they didnā€™t apply to a good list of schools (safeties, targets and reaches) and probably stayed with top 10-20 schools.

The grid only shows at least ONE medical school acceptance so for a GPA >= 3.79 and MCAT score >= 517 cell in the grid, the acceptance rate is 87.8% overall regardless of any state considerations. There is a 12.1% probability that some one with a GPA >= 3.79 and MCAT score >= 517 will have zero acceptances, probably those who applied to top 10-20 medical schools only as mentioned by @texaspg.
The picture is great for a regular route MD with 87.8% acceptance rate for this cell if a good list of medical schools is chosen.
The acceptance rate is calculated as Total # acceptances for this cell/Total # of applicants in this cell (e.g. For UG GPA >= 3.79 and MCAT >= 517 cell, acceptance rate = 6893/7848 = 87.8%)

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2020-04/2019_FACTS_Table_A-23_0.pdf

There is NO mention of any DO schools in this table. So it is assumed that the data is only for allopathic medical schools. The table has data for applicants and accepted applicants from 2017-2018 through 2019-2020. Please email datarequest@aamc.org if you need further assistance or have additional inquiries.

Does anybody know the SAT subject tests requirements by various BSMD programs will be cancelled for the upcoming year? Really bummed at the cancellations, hopefully our kids get enough time to take them in time. Thank you

@Herefortwo

As of right now, no BS/MD program has announced any waivers or making subject test optional.
Even in cases where the undergrad university has made it test optional for general admissions, BS/MD programs have required ACT or SAT regular test scores.

@NoviceDad @grtd2010 way of estimating the odd is more meaningful. 896,819 applications were from 53,371 applicants (students), 21,869 matriculants, so the overall probability is around 41% (21,869/53,371) if all students have equal chance. Ofc a studentā€™s probability goes up or down pending your GPA/MCAT/ECs/ORM status, etc.

The calculated ration of 2.4% is based on the assumption that a student applies only ONE medical school, thus his/her probability is very low at 2.4% for that ONE medical school.

YES - it is true.

Both ACT and SAT test scores are required.

SAT critical reading and math a score of 600 each or higher, ACT the minimum is 25 or higher, the writing is optional.

@biomeds

The individual probability at each school is around 2.4%.

To calculate cumulative probability based on the number of applications, I will need to work that out.

Case has made testing optional even for PPSP. My son emailed his adcom to specifically verify.

Her response:
ā€œThank you for the email. As any time, we will continue to review students holistically which means taking into consideration COVID-19 and how it has impacted parts of studentā€™s life, classes, and opportunities. We will be test optional for all applicants for the class of 2021 (including the PPSP candidates) but if you were able to take a test that was strong and represented you well, you can self-report that. If there are activities that you were planning to take part in this summer that have been cancelled, I would recommend writing it in your application in the additional information section. Certainly applications will look different this year, we understand that and will consider that when we are reviewing students.ā€

It looks like U Rochester has also made it test optimal for REMS.

BU lists SMED as test optional as well.

Brown University is also no longer recommending SAT subject tests.

@rara-avis @rk1235rk certainly understand the sentiment. However who is affected most is subjective. A traditional route student have similar problems, a medical student lacks all opportunities at hospitals due to current environment feels same way. I would take different approach, if you are an applicant for upcoming cycle, more or less everyone is in same boat, if someone was able to few things extra, it doesnā€™t necessarily give an advantage over rest as colleges understand the environment. I would advice my kid whatever community service you are able to find in current environment would count. e.g. do free tutoring to underprivileged students, find critical supply for healthcare workers, research is not everything. This is precisely the situation, donā€™t worry about things that you donā€™t have control of.

all applicants/parents for upcoming cycle, you may find anecdotal examples of -ve outcome, ignore those fear mongering examples and keep a faith in your own abilities. Pay attention to seniors in your high school experience that you most likely to replicate. Because MD route is so long, everyone faces varying degree hurdles along the way, it is not about how good you are at dodge ball game.

Here you go againā€¦ Massive Blocker? Do you think a superstar candidate accepted at all 25-30 schools? Just like high school to UG admission, COM knows which candidates are likely to accept the admission and which are not. So massive blocker theory is an unproven at high school level as well as UG level.
Even buy the massive blocker argument for a moment, yet 41% of applicants get admitted to COM through traditional route and defies that logic.
Speaking ORMs and high statistics, exceptions are always there, but norm is most of those kids end up where they are happy.

Alternatively bring BS/MD vs traditional path discussion in a separate thread http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2188137-bsmd-vs-traditional-path.html

Thank you for this info! I am sure C has time to take the SAT and ACT, but dont think the same for the subject tests. good to know and ty

@NoviceDad , yes, not expecting to cancel the SAT/ACT requirement. But was wondering about the subject tests. @mom2boys1999 pointed some programs which is good to know. ty for your reply.

RPI/AMC - Applies to all feeders schools - AMC is requiring SAT with essay and 2 Subject Tests - no change from last year.

Sophie Davis/ CUNY - requires both ACT and SAT - no change from last year.

I got a confirmation from their Admissions offices.

@mom2boys1999

Test optional is nice as long as all applicants are reviewed the same ( without taking in consideration the self-reporting scores). How do you compete with the ones that do report the scores? I say itā€™s a risk especially for this competitive program. I donā€™t see it helping the regular candidate ( maybe the ones that are nationally recognized already with a stellar EC)
Am I wrong to think this way?

1 Like

@rara-avis

I feel the same way as you do. All the BS-MD applicants here have near perfect GPA, test scores, numerous ECs (sports, music etc.) in addition to significant medically related experience. Inspite of this, students do not get interviews in all/most of the programs they applied to. The competition is fierce and there are no guarantees.

The main difference is that the colleges are going test optional. So, the assessment is based on other criteria. BSMDā€™s will still be very selective. For example, UChicago was always test optional even before COVID-19 yet it is a very selective college.

With mandatory testing, students will not be able to apply if they donā€™t have SAT/ACT I and II test scores. So, students who are unable to take tests will be now able to select from a few BSMD programs that have become test optional. But, will have a limited choice so need to create their college list based on colleges that are not mandating SAT or ACT tests.

IMO, since everyone is allowed to take these tests multiple times, if possible students should take these tests. With Covid-19 isolation, while shadowing/volunteering experience is difficult to obtain, preparing for tests is very much possible. Students, if possible should take advantage of this and get the best scores possible.

Hi
New here looking for BSMD application help. Is it helpful to take the paid college app services in the application process ? If not how much time commitment is needed to finish each college application on your own ?
Thank You