Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@rk1235rk

You are understanding is correct. Getting IS fees is that not that easy for OOS. It depends on the state and tax filing status and varies so much. Most of states it is not that easy at all. Easiest is OH and that is why I recommend to apply to U of Cincy even if it is just few seats. For OK it is hardest and you will not get IS fees. But OU gives 5 years merit aid for NMS and if you finish UG in 3 years, the 2 years of MD is free tuition and hence it is a good bargain. In TX, having a house and few years will make IS (heard) before you apply.

Here is my answer-
If the course is shown on high school transcript for full year, enter as full year. For UG admission purposes, high school transcript is the focus.

Once you decide to join the University, you can send the transcript from your local college to the registrar to get any applicable college credits. They will determine what course (an equivalent course in their course catalog) and in which semester they will assign the college credit. They do it for AP courses based on when you took the course ( freshman, sophomore, junior, senior year in high school).

Hopefully you have checked this FAQ from college board:

https://appsupport.commonapp.org/applicantsupport/s/article/How-do-I-report-a-college-course-I-took-during-high-school-in-Courses-Grades

@rk1235rk
Here is Rutger’s University policy ( NJMS is a part of Rutger’s ) regarding state residency for in-state tuition.
IMO, one needs to fill a Residency Analysis Form with a well established domicile in NJ. “Domicile” is a legal concept defined by New Jersey law. Domicile is distinct from residence – while a person may have several residences, he/she can have only one legal domicile. Residence established solely for the purpose of attending Rutgers University does not constitute domicile for tuition purposes. This is not a legal opinion.

https://admissions.rutgers.edu/paying-for-college/nj-tuition-eligibility

Please call appropriate (state/ university) offices and do not rely on hearsay or any post on a website.

https://appsupport.commonapp.org/applicantsupport/s/article/How-do-I-report-a-college-course-I-took-during-high-school-in-Courses-Grades

Based on this, you need to send official transcripts from the dual enrollment school. too.

We are in the same boat, my daughter’s dual enrollment classes show up on her school transcript. We will also have to request official one from the colleges.

@Smilescreen, my D has also taken 2 dual enrollment courses which show up on her school transcript. We are sending emails to admissions office of the colleges we are applying to - to ask if they need official transcript from the college too. Most of them (that have replied so far) have said no. They say if your child decides to attend the college, then they will need it, but not now. Only 1 college so far has said that they need both transcript (high school and college). So I suggest, ask the colleges that you are applying to. The transcript fee from college where our D took courses is $10. So we don’t want to send it if colleges don’t need it.

@rk1235rk & others -

For more perspective on this, I looked at the residency requirements earlier this year for my son. Stony brook is a state university in NY. See the below link for clear requirements on what they consider as resident requirements (see Residency Eligibility Basics)
https://www.stonybrook.edu/bursar/residency/

My findings:
In particular, see students won’t be considered as resident if they are domiciles in NY only for studying their UG. If these students depend on their parents for their finances and have parents living out of state, they won’t be considered in-state!

Also, students need to maintain their domicile in New York for a period of fewer than twelve months ( for practical purpose, they probably need to take 2 gap years between UG and MD for this and work to support themselves) to maybe save money for their medical school

There seems to be an exception for students who actually studied and graduated from a high school in NY state (say a private school for 1 or more years) and continued in the BS MD program there.
note: I am assuming that in this case, the student’s parents were living OOS and funded the student’s education (high school & undergrad) but the student would fund his own education during med school?

Still, Not sure, how this would work in terms of domicile? Would they need to take atleast one gap year between UG & MD? Surely, would need to reach out to college admissions/financial aid office for specific situation.

Thanks rk1235rk. We will check the schools then. If you don’t mind, can you provide name of the school that needs the transcripts from college.

@rk1235rk , @Smilescreen & others -

My 2 cents-

Our school doesn’t include/accept any outside courses (college dual enrollment or AP) in high school transcript. They mandate that students take all courses needed to graduate within the school system. Our school also sends official transcripts and recommendation letters from guidance for all students automatically. However students are expected to work with their teachers for specific teacher recommendations

With applications to 18 colleges (BSMD, UG) and several programs requiring separate med school recommendations on top of heavy course load, ECs, outside courses etc
 we decided to avoid any other extra work and skipped the step of gathering official transcripts for outside courses (AP, college credit). He simply added these outside courses to the resume and self-reported them on common app.

Also, Certain public universities - Rutgers, Penn, UPitt etc
ask for SRAR (Self-Reported Academic Record ) which has a section to self report this. In these cases, he shared the details.

When he enrolled in his UG (part of BSMD) this August, he submitted all the official transcripts for AP, dual enrollment so he could actually get credit as needed!

Thank you @Vicky2019 for your experience with transcripts. And you are right. Most colleges don’t care about getting official college transcript or official AP scores until you decide to join that college because now they have to figure out which courses to give credits for. But to be on the safer side, we started emailing admissions office to ask this specific question. Some have not yet replied but most of them said they don’t need it.
@Smilescreen, FAU is the only one that said they need both.

Some colleges or universities will give you college credits with admission letter based on dual enrollment/college courses taken during high school provided the official college transcripts have been sent to them. This may help in deciding what classes to taken during the first semester. But this can wait until one decides to enroll there.

For AP credits, it is only after May 1 decision date, one can send the scores.

Usually outside transcripts are never part of a high school submission by the school administrator (mainly a guidance counselor). They have to be officially sent by respective colleges/universities registrars.

It seems that Stoney Brook’s policy is very similar to Rutgers (NJ state).

Dual enrollment by definition is a course in a high school curriculum and part of the high school transcript. Otherwise it is not a dual enrollment course, right. One can a different grade for the same class on a college and a high school transcript depending upon how grades are assigned by the college vs the high school.
One is free to take any community college or university course without the approval of the high school.

For AP credits, it is only after May 1 decision date, one should send the official scores once you decide to enroll there and save money.

I was on one of the BU info session today and asked about the UG consideration for bsmd applicants. Please see the answer below from BU.

However, please note that one can move to UG consideration by calling them once you know that no interview is offered (per some experienced applicants from this forum). I myself may not want to move it, due to its cost :wink: . Nothing being offered as merit scholarships (except Trustee: full tuition, and Presidential: 25K)

“”"
You 07:50:19 PM
if not selected for accelerated med program(bsmd), would you automatically consider for UG?

BU Admissions 07:52:00 PM
If a student is not offered admission to the 7 year accelerated program, then a student is no longer considered for admission to BU.
“”"

Dear All,

I haven’t followed the 7 year BA/BS/MD programs topics for more than a year. May I have few questions:

If a student gets accepted into the 7 year BS/MD program at the end of Sophomore year. By the third year, if the student took the MCAT with high score, and would like to apply to a “well known” medical school.

• Is 7 year MD acceptance a binding program? If so, what are the penalties?
  • Does any one have a copy of the 2020 UPITT premed students get accepted into medical schools? May I have a copy of it?
  • Do you have the most up to date list of 7 year MD programs which only accepets Sophomore only?

Thank you.

p.s:

Since I just got in, it will take time for me to read the entire 55 pages in this topic
I have posted only 9, I still don’t have permission to private message to anyone.

@love4bsmd

Since your question had ‘automatically’, what BU said is correct. But students need to call and inform them to consider for UG. They did in 2016 and my D had a formal admission. If my memory serves well BU gave admission subsequent years also.

Your point is well taken. If no merit aid, then there is nothing special to spend that much money for BU when state schools can provide the same opportunity for lesser $.

@SkAdvice -

You have asked multiple questions and I have tried to respond to only a subset of your questions.

Usually early assurance programs with med schools are offered to students who joined their UG (or UG’s that are affiliated/linked to the med school) post high school. You need to apply to these as a sophomore. Once you get selected as part of Early assurance program and if you wish to apply to other medical schools through the traditional AMCAS admissions process, you must withdraw your guaranteed acceptance.

1. Colleges that offer 7-year BS MD programs once you are in the affiliated Undergrad.

George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (in-state preference)
Hampden-Sydney College
Rutgers Biomedical & Health Sciences/New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers Biomedical & Health Sciences/Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Temple University School of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University Sidney Kimmel Medical College/Pennsylvania State University
University of Florida College of Medicine

1. Open to all applicants –

Albany Medical College
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
SUNY Upstate Medical University
University at Buffalo SUNY School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine R.O.S.E Program (Research, Observation, Service, Education)
University of Florida Medical Honors Program
University of Toledo College of Medicine

1. Other Early assurance programs -

Boston University Early Medical School Selection Program
Brody School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Dartmouth University Geisel School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Drexel University College of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Georgetown University School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Hofstra/Northwell Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine, Zucker Pipeline Program
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Early Assurance Program
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Penn State College of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Tufts University School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
University of Chicago Pritzker school of Medicine Early Assurance Program
University of Rochester School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Wake Forest School of Medicine Early Assurance Program

@NoviceDad My daughter is a senior hoping to get in a BSMD program. Her SAT score is 1500, waiting on ACT scores. GPA 3.9. Has excellent extracurricular activities. Have reco from a dean of med school. What are her chances of getting in. Also I need help with essays. Thanks

@confident2021 -

I noticed your question is specifically for @NoviceDad but wanted to share my 2 cents on your questions.

Your daughter has stats that are competitive for a BSMD applicant.

Firstly, no one can predict your daughter’s chances of getting in since competition for BS MD is cut-throat (there are way too many qualified candidates). Even the Admission committee would need to look at the applications from other students to decide who to invite for interview and finally who to select!

Secondly, Please take a look into How to get into BSMD checklist on Page#2 and post#22

You will notice that having good GPA and test scores and excellent ECs are just one of the requirements. The other requirements are - having a good strategy and applying broadly is important. Soft factors (essays, interviews) play an important role.

Thirdly, It’s good to have recommendation from a medical school professor but not all BSMD applications require this type of recommendation. Most BSMDs are looking for recommendations from her school (Guidance counsellor, STEM teacher, non-STEM teacher) or guide/mentor (for ECs) who have known her for several years.