Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@myhouse1

I would say apply to programs with decent intake numbers and good reputations.
So I would suggest Penn State/Jefferson, NJMS (multiple feeder schools for undergrad), Upstate (multiple again) and AMC (only 1 feeder allowed so would suggest RPI bcoz of research, but AMC may find the gpa to be on the lower end). Would have suggested BU too, but it is most likely out of reach, consider applying to BU only if you have spare time left after applying to others.

As a matter of fact all these programs are Uber competitive, especially for those from Asian backgrounds. You may want to search this thread for each of these names to get a feel of what others have posted about them in the recent past. Make up your mind quickly as you may not have much time left.

Kid is applying BSMD in NJ/NY colleges.

I was told that for some colleges, if they don’t admit for BSMD, they won’t consider for undergraduate at all. If that happens ,we left without any colleges for undergrad in NJ.

Can you please let me know which colleges still consider for undergrad if we don’t get in to BSMD in NJ.

As I feel getting into BSMD is tough and not sure. hence I need to keep option open for to do undergrad in NJ.

Can you pls let me know in which state / which colleges usually we get BSMD easily for below profiles to build my list of colleges from the bottom up.

here is my kid profile:

State Of residency: NJ
National Merit Semi Finalist for 2021
GPA: Weighted 5.5/ Unweighted 4.1
SAT 1560 (Last year wrote.)
AP Scholar Award 2020
High Honor roll ( All A’s in High school 2017 - 2020)
National Math Honor Society, National English Honor society, National French honor society

2nd Degree Blackbelt Taekwondo
Two Goldmedals in NJ State Championship - Taekwondo
New york Governor’s cup - Taekwondo

Took below AP tests as of now.

AP Calculus BC
AP Physics 1
AP World History
AP US History.

Apply to Rutger’s New Brunswick and Newark campus, NJIT, TCNJ. All these will give you UG admission first. NJMS BSMD part comes only after UG admission is rendered. For BU SMED and CWRU PPSP, you will need to communicate with them to consider for an UG admission after a BSMD interview rejection.

@myhouse1
IMO, Forget PSU/Jeff, RPI/AMC and NJMS BSMD (SAT 1460 and ACT 32 as
an OOS).
On the other hand, one can apply to 15-20 BSMD programs and pray.

@myhouse1
On the other hand, one can apply to 15-20 BSMD programs and pray.

1 Like

Thank you so much @grtd2010. Appreciate it sincerely

In case anybody is interested: For the class of 2020 (2019-2020 applicants), University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine – GAP results finally came out on October 2nd, 2020.

@myhouse1

While your GPA and extracurriculars are competitive, your SAT/ACT score is low, especially for ORMs.
Between the two scores, ACT=32 is a "better"score. Do not even submit your SAT score.

What you can do is apply to the 5 test optional BS/MD programs and try your best.
Also, with your undergrad list, make sure you have a decent “Safety” school in the mix and 1-2 schools that are not neither safety nor in your current list.

Experts on this forum question below.

what Is expected Pitt GAP intake this year ? What is their selection criteria in last few cycles ?

If one is already in top undergrad HYPSM what is your opinion if it is worth joining GAP now so late ?

Once your are a board certified MD, no one gives a “darn” which UG or medical school you have attended. Rest is for prestige/ego/bragging rights only. It seems you are not familiar with medicine. Your income as MD is independent of your UG institution or medical school attended in your chosen field of practice.

@sam2024

From previous posts, it looks like intake is 8-12 students per year. Selection criteria is posted. Look at the selection criteria in - https://admissions.pitt.edu/guaranteed-admissions-programs/. However, there are no guarantees in any BSMD programs and these are Uber competitive.

University of Pittsburgh is ranked No. 14 in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 17 in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care. UPitt Undergrad is a T20 public university.

Personally if I had a seat in UPitt GAP and HYSPM, I would choose UPitt GAP.

Ultimately how interested is the student in becoming a doctor? If they are sure, they should go for UPitt GAP. If they are not sure, they can choose HYPSM.

Fully agree with @grtd2010 and @Vicky2019 comments.

Pitt Medical School is a top notch medical schools and a lot of HYPSM undergrads would love to do medical school as well as residency at Pitt.
We would choose Pitt GAP hands down.

@myhouse1 -

Your Undergrad list consists of ultra competitive undergrads as well as BSMDs (far reach) for students even with perfect stats. In these schools, students would have a good chance only if they applied ED and/or had a serious hook (especially in sports).

Students usually apply to
Option 1 - 12+ BSMD programs and 7-8 Undergrad.
Option 2 - 10+ Undergrad and 8-10 BSMD
Option 3 - 4-5 BSMD, 10-12 Undergrads
and so on

With Option 1 or Option 2, you would have some cushion and would be able to add ultra competitive BSMD programs in addition to less selective ones

However, You are choosing option 3 and it looks like you only want to join a T15 UG .

I would highly recommend applying Early Decision. Example:

Early round:
UChicago or any college offering EA
Any other college in your list - apply ED

ED2 round (if you don’t get into ED1)

Uchicago - if deferred, convert to ED2

@Later2021 -

Firstly all BSMD programs consider students for undergrad as well, except Boston University. If students don’t get an interview by mid-jan, students can convert their applications to Undergrad admission only and be considered for admission.

Secondly, Does your kid have any medically related ECs at all? You didn’t mention volunteering/research/shadowing etc
 These are pretty much mandatory for students applying to BSMD programs.

Thirdly, question is what type of college is your kid interested in. If he wants to get into T20 UG, he should apply Early decision. On the other hand, if he wants to save money (with scholarship money) he can apply broadly to 15-20 schools for both BSMD and regular UG, he would be able to get acceptance with scholarships. Apply EA where possible for UGs.

Finally, decide quickly and apply asap! time is running out

IMO, with a SAT score 1460/ACT 32, ED will not help much in T15-20 UGs. It is a false hope unless one has a big hook like a very very very large donation to the school. ED does not mean that subpar candidates will be selected by the institution.

I also fully agree with comments of some senior members. UPitt undergrad and medical school are highly ranked and if someone is sure of their medical career and is offered a spot (even though it is late), they should take is without second thought.

Question to experts,

Most of the BSMD programs say that the selection into the program is combined effort of undergrad and medical school.

Is there a general sense how this happen? It is for sure that undergrad school will be looking at GPA, scores etc and unless they feel strong about the candidate, they probably won’t even forward the application to the medical school. But would undergrad school be equally scrutinizing “why medicine?” and medical related ECs? On the same note, would medical school be mostly looking at “why medicine?” and medical related ECs or they would also be looking at scores, AP classes, GPA etc with the same eyes as undergrad school.

I know it is difficult to know how the whole process works unless someone is part of the process itself and also, process may differ from program to program, but I am just trying to see if someone know how this process works in general.

Thank you @Vicky2019 for clarification.

Unfortunately no medical related volunteering/research/shadowing etc because of this Carona pandemic

Planning to apply BSMD at Rutger’s, NJIT, TCNJ as these are local.

Planning to apply few more colleges but not sure where

Interested to apply 15-20 schools for BSMD, if we have chance to get acceptance with scholarship.

Trying to build my list of colleges from the bottom up.

Hence please do let me know in which state / which colleges usually we get possible BSMD admission for my kid profile if possible with aid and without aid.

It seems you are late in the BSMD application cycle. Most folks start planning since the start of high school. US medical schools are looking for your kid’s motivation to pursue medicine and an exposure to what really is involved in the practice of medicine.
The medical related volunteering/research/shadowing play an important role in the selection process. Only 5% of all medical school seats are filled by BSMDs. One can always go to medical school via regular UG route. Please apply to a few BSMD and more UGs institution. Rutgers provides good merit scholarships to outstanding residents of NJ. Beware that financial aid may also includes loans. Loans have to be paid back with interest in the future.

IMO, there is a screening done at UG level first. This may include stats as well as reading of complete application by UG admission committee. Once UG office forwards the application to medical school, it will apply another level of screening and then select candidates for an interview by a selection process which is very similar to regular medical school applicants. Even an admission committee member will not disclose all the details in a public forum.