Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Yea, NUPSP is barely 5-7 students a year after proven themselves in NU UG. But it is not necessarily true that everyone has paid as NU UG is generous for need. Believe same applies to HPME UG years being a need blind admission. So financial is not a factor one way or the other.
As far as EDP goes, so many SOMs have early decision just like high school to UG, applicable to all applicants, not just their respective UG students, so I won’t call it a feeder program.

You are confusing the various paths to an admission to NU- Medical school.

Path 1: HPME (no longer applicable now): For High school seniors - any high schooler in USA; 3 year undergrad+4 year medical school (20 seats).
This was their BS/MD program.

Path 2: NUPSP - only for NU undergrads (9 seats). You apply in fall of your junior year.
This program still exists.

Path 3: traditional medical school applicants - for any undergrad for any college in US.
You apply in the fall of senior year of your undergrad or after graduating if taking gap years. In this path, you can apply Early Decision.

@ppofbng, @PPofEngrDr -

Last year we visited & toured Northwestern. The tour guide who took us around the college was a premed with Biomedical engineering major. We asked her about HPME and NUPSP.

She told us that the competition is really cut throat for 5-7 seats in NUPSP and personally for her it will be super difficult since getting high GPA in her chosen major “Biomed Engg” would be harder for her so her chances for NUPSP are low (according to her)

IMO, a student applying to early assurance programs such as NUPSP would need to be prepared from day 1 of Undergrad (high GPA and ECs). It probably would help if they had a carry over of APs, medical ECs from high school (such as if they had medical EC qualifications like a BSMD applicant)

This year they going to lenient on shadowing and other criteria as Feinberg knows what exactly happened at NU UG in last 6 months . If one thinking to apply to NU because of NUPSP, think twice, as it is not guaranteed and lots of moving pieces by end of Junior fall Q ends. My son is actively considering to apply to NUPSP in coming weeks.

Thank you @rk1235rk.
We will send subject test scores (Math2: 790 and Chem: 740) to RPI along with GW and Drexel, if they are worth.

Thanks for the suggested list @Vicky2019

Here is why we don’t have them on our list.

• Rice University --too much travel hassle for interview with so little chance.
  • University of Cincinnati --too few for oos
  • Montclair State University --doing TCNJ/NJIT for NJMS
  • SUNY Polytechnic – cut out in preference of other feeders for SUNY Upstate
  • University of Connecticut – too few for oos
  • University of Alabama --no south schools
  • University of South Alabama --no south schools
  • Brooklyn College: CUNY --not a fan of brooklyn location.
  • Sophie Davis Biomedical Education --Nope for BME.

We do have the following on our list:

• Case Western Reserve University
  • Florida Atlantic University --added recently!
  • Stony Brook University
  • Adelphi University

Best of luck to your son.

I agree on the rigor and uncertainty. There are other undergrad schools that offer similar ones like UChicago, One can’t really go there hoping for this outcome.

May be I was reading between the lines, but here is the quote that caught my eyes.

Thank you @NoviceDad.

We do have quite a few BS/MD schools on the list. In an effort to make the list manageable, we started trimming them down based various criteria. Those two schools are out as our GPA is far from being perfect. Trying to optimize the list more reasonably. Our school does not provide ranking either, but don’t know if they specify the GPA range for top 5 or 10% of the class in the college report.

Btw, if child attended multiple high schools, what do I enter in commonApp GPA field? Our current school is only providing for the sophomore and junior years attended there, which is listed on official transcript.

Freshman school uses different scale - Numeric. Should we convert freshman classes to the new school scale and list the overall 3 year GPA or only list 2 years of current school GPA? Thx.

ok thank you! i’m relatively new and not as active so I’m sorry if this is a naive question but did you apply this year? @Vicky2019
I also just checked their website and it seems they are sending them out in December as opposed to 2-4 weeks.

@love4bsmd
SAT 2 Math 790 is approximately 77 percentile and SAT 2 Chem 740 is approximately 68 percentile. It may be better not to send these since it does not add much credence, IMO.

CWRU does offer good merit scholarships for UG. TCNJ/NJIT have the largest share of seats for NJMS BSMD. Being a NY resident, it may be a OK choice (NE Region).

Little superstitious here, your well wishes resulted in my elder son acceptance into MS with thesis 5th year extension. ?

Congratulations to your son and your family.

[quote=“love4bsmd, post:1309, topic:2096007”]

@love4bsmd -

Did you notice my additional note on FAU? As per knowledge, Florida Atlantic University gives in-state students preference as far as I know. Students from other states can apply but are given lower preference.

@rmsm99 -

My son applied in 2020 cycle and is currently a freshman in a BSMD program.

UPitt has a rolling admission. They give admissions based on when they receive the applications. The dates listed in their website are the latest date/s by when that step must be done…

My S applied to UPitt in September and got admitted within 1 week. He got his medical application within 1 month…

@PPofEngrDr - Congratulations to your elder son and to the proud parents on his acceptance into MS with thesis 5th year extension. Wish him the very best!!!

@grtd2010 @Vicky2019 thank you and we all need TLC on this forum.

Little superstitious here, your well wishes resulted in my elder son acceptance into MS with thesis 5th year extension. ?

[/quote]

Congratulations :smile:

thanks @ppofbng