Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

This year, subject test scores are optional or not required for all BS/MD program.

@rk1235rk

Kid got two separate emails at different times. But you have to be accepted to the Honors College to be considered for the BSMD.

I personally love this option for the kid. In Florida he gets tuition and fees waived due to his father’s veteran disability and bright futures so undergrad would be paid for and he can save the gi bill for med school.

He doesn’t love Boca area so who knows how this will all play out.

Nine days to the first big deadline. Good luck to all the applicants!!! May the odds be ever in your favor!

FAU-BS/MD:
Thought that the FAU bs/md program is guaranteed provided that student meets all needed min requirements, but, appears that its not. Can anyone please confirm? Thanks.

http://med.fau.edu/admissions/BSMD%20Program%20Expectations%20and%20Requirements.pdf

"Furthermore, students are only offered an interview if all the above requirements are met. Enrollment in the Bachelor’s/MD program does not guarantee admission to the College of Medicine. The Admissions Committee may, at its sole discretion, accept a Bachelor’s/MD program student or, alternatively, require a Bachelor’s/MD program student to take additional coursework in a post-baccalaureate or graduate
program prior to re-applying to the College of Medicine. "

@okeokkadu, these seems like a standard requirements that most of the BSMD programs have. None of the BSMD program is guaranteed. But it will be helpful if someone more familiar with FAU BSMD can comment - like how many students intake, how many matriculate to medical school etc. May be you can reach out to school itself and see if they are willing to share such details.

@mom2boys1999

Are you sure that student needs to be admitted to Pitt Honors as a condition for Pitt’s Medicine GAP ? I did not see that requirement from Pitt’s website.

@rk1235rk The FAU one seems different, however. They say that once in undergrad, the student must apply to the school, take the CASPer, successfully interview, and more to gain admission into the FAU College of Medicine on that pdf. Is that a standard requirement?

@okeokkadu Each BSMD program has its own conditions/requirements for matriculation to the medical school from UG. If you do not like the conditions set by the program, just do not apply.
You have option to apply via regular route MD during or after UG.

Umm I don’t think I said that. Maybe you got it mixed up with FAU? Cause in my comments I did say that about FAU and it is required for that school and their program.

@mom2boys1999

My mistake :slight_smile: There were discussions about PIT GAP and I guess FAU at the same time I guess.

Here is some data on BSMD applicants ( in some cases also Early Assurance Program) in the matriculating class of some BSMD programs. There is no guarantee of the veracity of this data. Please do your own due diligence. Please use it on your own risk.

School Class size BSMD EAP % BSMD
SMKC(Thomas Jefferson) 268 16 13 5.97%
Rutgers-NJMS 178 22 - 12.36%
Rutgers-RWJ 179 8 - 4.47%
Stoney Brook 136 4 - 2.94%
Temple-LKSOM 200 3 1 1.50%
Drexel 256 32 (no longer guaranteed) 28 12.50%
Brown-Alpert 143 59 4 41.26%
Boston Univ 160 16 22 10.00%
George Washington Univ 180 20 33 11.11%
Hofstra 99 3 - 3.03%
University of Illinois 310 10 ( in-state only) - 3.23%
VCU (Virginia Commonwealth Univ) 184 7 - 3.80%
University of Rochester 103 4 10 3.88%

FYI, Here is some data on BSMDs (in some cases Early Assurance Program data is there) in the matriculating class of some medical schools. There is no guarantee of the veracity of this data. Please do your own due diligence. Please use it on your own risk.

School Class size BSMD EAP % BSMD
SKMC(Thomas Jefferson) 268 16 13 5.97%
Rutgers-NJMS 178 22 - 12.36%
Rutgers-RWJ 179 8 - 4.47%
Stoney Brook 136 4 - 2.94%
Temple-LKSOM 200 3 1 1.50%
Drexel 256 32 (no longer guaranteed) 28 12.50%
Brown-Alpert 143 59 4 41.26%
Boston Univ 160 16 22 10.00%
George Washington Univ 180 20 33 11.11%
Hofstra 99 3 - 3.03%
University of Illinois 310 10 ( in-state only) - 3.23%
VCU (Virginia Commonwealth Univ) 184 7 - 3.80%
University of Rochester 103 4 10 3.88%
Northwestern Univ 160 19(discontinued) 5 11.88%

Seems outdated information!

For example, while the class size of BUSM seems correct at 160 (as per latest info on their web site from 2019), the number for BA/MD matriculants is 22 and not 16. Which is 13.75% and not 10%. Also not sure about the EAP figures quoted in there. This year the size of the incoming med class has shrunk further to 150 and for 2021 not sure what it will be but the BA/MD cohort size will be a massive 30.

Same holds for REMS, as per their latest info, BS/MD matriculants size is 7 and not 4 and so go the percentage figures.

Irrespective of how accurate numbers are, reality is it does fluctuates YoY and being small numbers, % fluctuates more drastically than it should be. Key is how small the numbers for direct MD and/or EAP in overall grand schema.

Something interesting for current applicants a new BA/MD program announced.

https://abc11.com/fayetteville-state-university-meharry-medical-college-partnership/7280186/

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/fayetteville-state-partners-with-nashville-school-to-offer-new-medical-degree-program/19350612/

It is meant for targeted community and service location, so highly unlikely to be useful for this thread.

Only a week left for many programs with Nov 1 deadline. Good luck to all !!

@PPofEngrDr

We were stationed at Fort Bragg twice (Fayetteville is basically a military town) and I worked as a counselor there both times (6 years total).

I am going to say that this reminds me a little of SBU and the lack of rigor in the overall college would be VERY concerning for a pre-med and their ability to function in a medical school environment. I hope the school is attending to this issue because it is NOT known for being a STEM forward campus.

@mom2boys1999 which SBU? stony brook or st. b?

Thinking a little bit more on this, it appears for any decent sized meaningful BS/MD program, there may not be much of a difference in the chances of getting in through this path vs. via traditional route to the same school if seen from simple quantitative perspective. From qualitative, or rather non quantifiable aspects, there are bound to be far more variables coming into play in the equation of traditional path.

Taking the same example of BUSM, for the 100 seats available each batch, there are around 10k applications. (Even though total batch size ~ 150, take away ~20 for BS/MD cohort and another ~30 for the combination of EAP, their own undergrads and alumni who get preference, affiliations with historic black/hispanic institutions and graduate students or alumni with masters from BU). So that puts the slots/applications ratio of 1 : 100. Should be similar for BS/MD path as well (as per the 2000+ applications stats shared by a successful applicant in 2018 cycle).

The difference between both being, firstly all the students in BS/MD route belong to same batch, unlike in traditional path where competition is with multiple batches due to gap years, people applying with advanced degrees, non traditional applicants with richer career and service backgrounds, life experiences and all that. Secondly the number of factors affecting the outcomes are so many, like 10 or so.

Meharry has had a BA/MD program with Grambling State University.
They probably added one more feeder school.

i am currently applying in this cycle and am applying to brown plme, upitt gap, vcu gmed, rice/baylor, and case western ppsp with uflorida and dartmouth for their early assurance programs and I was wondering if you guys had any other recommendations for top bsmds?

additionally, I was doing some research on upitt gap and came up short regarding their cuts. does anyone know what the requirements are to receive the bsmd supplementary app or what they’re looking for in the first cuts so I know what to focus on in my app/essays

thanks!

Anyone know if SAT subject scores also should be received by colleges by NOV 1st for NOV 1 application deadline colleges? My daughter received the scores from OCT 3rd recently and it has been a week we ordered. Is it worth changing it to Rush scores?