Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I don’t remember if any one asked a letter. But the hospital my C volunteered had a policy to provide a letter if the student asks. But they give letters only when a student completes a minimum of 40 or 80 hours in a year. My C had the letter but memory fades if there was a need to send to any particular college.

@highschoolinnj -

I am going to share my 2 cents on this.

When colleges asked for health related volunteer experience, it is better to share from a local hospital/facility where you might have worked for weeks or months or years. It is usually very easy to obtain the experience since the hospital has a template for all the volunteers (for school, college etc.). Usually kids need to check-in/check-out (time stamped) every time they volunteer and they are assigned a supervisor and people get to know them well.

In most US states, shadowing is difficult due to privacy issues… Infact shadowing is difficult in other countries as well. Usually students reach out to family doctors. Within a few hours of shadowing, there is no way for these Doctors to know his skills, hardwork, character, interest etc. especially when all the students are doing is to follow them respectfully. I doubt there is a patient facing Q&A session!

Quality over Quantity is better IMO. recommendation should be obtained from people who know you well.

@GoldenRock - We had a similar experience.

My child worked in the same hospital for 3 years and had a couple of different supervisors during that period. This hospital had a template which they filled out for all student volunteers ( they only require 2-3 days notice)

how long does ACT take to send scores to the colleges?

@9the0girl7, refer to my post #1214 in this thread where I mentioned sending ACT scores. It took 3 days after I sent the scores (normal service) for it to appear on college’s application portal. So it was very quick. SAT takes longer - around 5-6 days.

Top 25% gpa wise in college may not be good enough for med schools, especially MD ones. Unless of course one attends Harvard, where it may still be a > 3.9 figure.
Strive to be at least at Magna cum laude level (~15%) to have realistic shot. I have known students in the 3.5-mid 3.6 range by end of junior year (top 25%) who didn’t even bother attempting MCAT, but chose to continue on to masters degree, knowing how futile it may be to try with that gpa.

PennState previous two years have been average about 60 offers and 40-45 students joining.
Did less people join in the current batch?

that has changed this year. Refer to my post # 1421.

This stats seems to be incorrect.

Universities believe what you have shared is true.
Except for NJMS feeder schools who have in the past asked for documentation for your extra-curriculars, most colleges have a simple rule - if they find you have committed fraud in your application, you are expelled.

The only documentation I have seen consistently asked is your Green-card if you are non-US citizen.

Unless explicitly asked or suggested as an optional requirement, do NOT send any additional documents.

NO.
Why do you ask? did you notice something different?

Case Western deadline is still Dec 1 (as before).

Good news in our household:
Kiddo got a $20k per year scholarship to Pitt! Now we just need that coveted BSMD acceptance from them. (fingers crossed!)

He is done with all the Nov deadline applications. Just have the Temple and Brown videos to make (along with the Brown essays)and he can rest while we anxiously await the next steps and notifications.

It’s been a long 6 months.

Congratulations and best wishes @mom2boys1999

@mom2boys1999 - Congratulations to your son!

How long did it take for this decision to come in after acceptance? I recently got accepted to Pitt but do not see anything under financial aid.

@NoviceDad -
This below (published in Sep 2020) says 45 are offered and 25-30 enroll in Penn State PMM.
https://issuu.com/psuadmissions/docs/final_premedicalmedical2020

Congratulations and best wishes to your son @mom2boys1999… good luck for BSMD acceptance.

@mom2boys1999 , Congratulations! Did your son receive UPitt supplements already? Can I know how many supplements are there for GAP?

Thank you @Vicky2019 @rk1235rk @BSMDMOM2021

@Futurdoc he received notification via snail mail and it was about a month after he got his decision. This one is merit based so it was automatically applied for, no supplemental applications

@mygrad2021
Their website states this year they won’t send supplementals until after the deadline, it isn’t rolling this year. I think they said mid December.

The website: Please note: If you are selected to continue in the GAP review process, you will be notified by early December. All applicants for this guarantee will be reviewed for nomination after the November 1 deadline. Please do not contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid or the School of Medicine regarding the status of your application. Only candidates who are selected to continue in the GAP review process will be notified. Additionally, due to the high number of quality applicants for this program, decisions cannot be appealed.