Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@GoldenRock

Not sure if that was directed at me …but we are aware. We are just excited to see that if the luck of the draw falls on him, he is in line to receive an award.

He has been working extremely hard- this award was a more immediate gratification for that work.

I also post as I know other students will be in our situation and I have benefited greatly from the search function on these boards.

My kid cracked me up today- in this day and age of social media he is decidedly lukewarm about making his video for Brown and Temple. I think he would rather write more essays hahaha

@mom2collegekids

Not at all. But it triggered the memory of the same parent feeling 5 years back.
Applied around 1st week of Sep and in 3 weeks she got the admission with full tuition award from the same UPitt. That is the first admission and all are excited. But did not get interview.

I am not sure what other families feel/think, but our approach is to have a healthy, realistic expectation of NOT getting in. It’s like buying a lottery ticket- you hope but the odds are not in your favor.

My kid looks like every other kid on paper, similar ECs, similar abilities. We just have to hope that those small differences in who he is and what he writes captures the attention of the medical school adcoms. It’s why he has 12 BSMD applications but a similar number for the traditional route.

If there were tips or tricks or hints, a BSMD version of a likely letter, then I can guarantee that the hours I have spent googling would have located them lol.

Yep, exactly. I’ve had great residents who were from 6-8 year BAMD programs (including programs that my son quickly dismissed), others who went straight through traditional 4+4 without any gaps and nontraditional students. There is no perfect strategy (ok, maybe Brown, Pitt, Roce/Baylor or Case if your family has enough money to pay without merit aid might be close to perfect!).

If it works out for my son, great, if not, I’ll still be incredibly proud of how hard he’s worked in high school to be competitive for these programs. Good luck to everyone’s kids. Life is short, give them all a big hug tomorrow.

My DD has received her acceptance to NJIT. I suppose this is the initial part of the BS/MD application process. Does anyone know what would be the next step. From what I understand, it would be an interview with the Albert Dorman Honors College Committee, but we are not sure. I would appreciate any advice

You have to apply to both the undergrad feeder school and LECOM.
And you can do that in parallel.

LECOM has multiple feeder schools. Choose the ones you are interested in.
When you apply to the feeder school, make sure you indicate you are interested in the BS/DO or EAP program with LECOM.

In the LECOM application, you can enter upto 3 feeder schools.

Congratulations!!!
You are correct, the next step will be an interview with the NJIT Accelerated Pre-Health Committee, if they select you for one. Usually, this is done within 4 weeks of acceptance. This year could be different though.
Post that interview, the committee decides which applications to send to NJMS.
Note: Not all who interview with NJIT make it to this list.
NJMS then reviews those applications and selects whom to call for interview.

Just to add, the final acceptance notification from NJMS to feeder schools does not come until the start of April. A long wait.

There is official data available from AAMC (UG GPA and MCAT distribution).

https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2020-04/2019_FACTS_Table_A-23_0.pdf

@snsh5713, how does NJIT notify about the decision? It is on the portal or via email?

We received the notification via email that the decision has been posted to her portal.

Does anyone know what the SUNY Supplemental form is for UAlbany? I indicated my interest on the Common App, but I can’t seem to find the SUNY Supplemental form on the UAlbany portal.

For reference, the Upstate website states the following:

“Students applying to the University at Albany should indicate interest in the Upstate Accelerated Scholars Program (UAS) with SUNY Upstate Medical University on the Common Application and on the SUNY Supplemental form.”

Reach out to the University at Albany and confirm if you need to submit NOW if you are doing the Common App.
If yes, ask them for the URL.

Usually the supplemental form is required if you use applySUNY online application.

Also, it is required when you get an invite from Upstate.

@GoldenRock

I agree we cannot count on as
nothing is certain and it is luck we know a kid who made to HPME and PPSAP the most difficult program to get in and could not make it lower ranked programs like Upitt and VCU

Also know a kid who could not get into any BS MD program and did undergrad at top public university in California and is now doing MD at HMS

So kids should not get discouraged in the end

We did not get the portal login details for Drexel . Tomorrow is the deadline to submit supplemental application. Any suggestions on how to handle this ?

How long after you submitted the initial application on Common App , did you get the login details for Drexel portal to submit the supplemental?

@highschoolinnj the Discover Drexel portal e-mail is sent three days after you turn in Common App. Idk if they gave specific login details. I just went in and entered the e-mail I used for Common App and changed my password. I would do it soon though, deadline is in an hour! Good Luck.

Thank you . Isnt the deadline end of day tomorrow ?

Thanks @BsmdHelp . Reset password trick worked…

Bsmdhelp - it worked . Thank you