Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Thank you very much for the detailed answer to my question.

@med2021, From last yearā€™s thread it looks like people received in the 1st week of December. My DD applied to Union/AMC but not yet heard anything.

wrong tag, @doctorpenguin, From last yearā€™s thread it looks like people received in the 1st week of December. My DD applied to Union/AMC but not yet heard anything.

RIT application has the following question:
ā€œHave you enrolled in 2 or more Project Lead the Way courses in your high school?ā€

Google gave me www.pltw.org. Are they referring to classes offered there?

@love4bsmd , PLTW is a biomedical program usually offered by a local community colleges that you can register for credit. Our school has this program through a local college. I think these courses are being recognized by collegeboard but they are not offering AP equivalent credit at lot of places. I am sure they are asking about that.

@love4bsmd
Yes, PLTW Biomedical Science curriculum is offered by some Health Academy high schools. Sometimes one can get you college credits for some of these courses via dual enrollment e.g. in NJ dual enrollment is with Rutgers University not with a CC.

None of the BSMD programs are guaranteed by definition since all have preconditions attached to matriculation to medical school. Not all those who join will eventually matriculate to medical school. It is an illusion that getting into any BSMD program is a guaranteed admission to the medical school. See previous post #1434 about # of BSMD getting into the matriculating classes at various medical schools.

UAB may say that it has no in-state and regional preferences but try to find by contacting students in the program. Do your own due diligence.

No, these requirements are on par with regular route MD. Even BSMD programs require medical ECs, LORs, and interview with medical school. No medical school will admit without an interview (may be a virtual interview due to Covid-19). They want to evaluate your application and communication skills ( some require CASper ). Why do think BSMD path is any different than regular route MD in terms of requirements/qualifications ? BSMD program may give you an option of 7yrs instead of 8yrs.

Contact the Siena college and ask about November 1 deadline since it is past now.

The final notification ( via your feeder school ) from NJMS if selected, will come in the start of April next year.

@mygrad2021 , @grtd2010 : Thanks for clarifying my ā€œProject Lead the Way (PLTW) coursesā€ question for RIT.

Today my DD received acceptance to FAU Honors college. A portion of the letter said ā€œIn the upcoming weeks you will receive communication about engagement opportunities and important deadlines, but in the meantime please login to the OwlDone portal to accept your offer of admission.ā€ I think she doesnā€™t have to complete this unless she wants to join FAU Honors college and she can just move forward with applying to Med direct program, right?

@mygrad2021 : Thatā€™s correct. You donā€™t have to do OwlDone now.

My DD received FAU and also a week later they sent Wilkes Honor admission too, even though she did not want to go to Jupiter and selected NO to Honors on application. Donā€™t know which place/program is better Boca Raton (med direct) or Jupiter(medical scholars). And I believe we can select only one of those two programs. Any insights from the folks who are familiar with those programs at FAU?

@mygrad2021, @love4bsmd - I guess this is true for all admissions. Most of the BSMD first admits you into undergrad and then you get email to create account at the college. But I think it may be ok to create accounts and see what is there. Would any financial details be there (if you get any)? How do people see that they got some merit based scholarships? Do they see when they create accounts and login?

Incorrect!

My daughter applied UPitt last week. We just received an email to activate the account but there is nothing once you activate. Is there a portal where you can see the application status? Do you think it takes more time to receive the portal link? She applied on 28th October.

@love4bsmd @mygrad2021

Admittance to Honors College is required for BSMD consideration. You have to go that path. But you donā€™t have to accept that offer of admission in order to be considered.

@mom2boys1999 , Thank you!

Yes, there should be a portal information.
Please reach out to them if you still do not see it.