Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

For BU SMED, we do not have to submit any recommendations from Common app, right?

Hi,
We got an admitted status for NJIT and asked for 250 enrollment fee. Do weneed to pay this to be considered for BS MD program?
Thanks

I applied last month and got a decision back in two weeks. The link that I replied with is the link that I got my acceptance from.

Harvard does not need official scores. They take self-reported score. And that is why we got worried and surprised when we saw that tests scores (SAT/ACT/AP) were not included in the application that was sent to Harvard. Now I see that they have a place to self report scores on their application portal. We will report the scores there (still there is no place to report AP scores). I asked this question to be sure that it is not some issue with the common app that we are experiencing (that they are not sending all information to all colleges). But now reviewing the few applications that my D has submitted till now, it seems that not things that a student reports on the common app section gets send to all colleges. Probably colleges has some criteria (set behind the scene) that includes/excludes some information.

Still weird to me that Harvard would exclude student reported scores from the application.
That is why if someone can confirm this, I will be relieved.

The fee is to be paid if you decide to join NJIT for UG before May 1, 2021 (decision date). There is no such requirement for NJMS BSMD consideration by NJIT.

Is Harvard test-optional during this covid-19 period ?
A college may choose to download only certain sections of Common App. This should not be an issue of any concern to applicants.

Yes, your teacher needs to email LORs to schforms@bu.edu in lieu of the Teacher Evaluation on the Common or Coalition Application.

NO.
You should have till May 1 to pay your enrollment fees.

@rk1235rk

My son applied via coalition. The self reported scores donā€™t show on the pdf of the application file.

I am not sure if it downloads because we just sent official scores to them. My kid was trepidatious about not giving them all his materials so he wanted them sent.

@Smilescreen
there are specific forms the recommenders need to use. They are on the website too.

VCU GMED- Anyone had issues with email for LOR from application? One of them is saying that they did not receive it. There is no way to resend it. Not sure what other options are available.

website says

Reference letters must be uploaded by the reference writer to your Guaranteed Admission application

Question about "to pursue need-based financial aid? on the Common App " - would saying Yes/No to this question affect your college acceptance ?

would this affect Merit scholarship ?

Thank you @mom2boys1999 for checking on this. We are not sending them official scores. We just self reported on their application portal.

@highschoolinnj, this question only pertains to need based scholarships. They should still consider you for merit based scholarship if you say No to this question.

We are also saying No everywhere we see questions that ask about need based scholarship.

Question about NJIT admissions, when you get the acceptance (after applying to BSMD which is via honors college), is it acceptance into NJIT+Honors or just NJIT?

People who applied to BU and sent/emailed pdf version of recommendation letters - how long does it take them to show up on BU portal after they were emailed?

@mom2boys1999, you said that they are showing up for your son, any idea how many days it took them to appear on BU portal?

My Dā€™s 2 teachers say that they sent it on 11/4 but they are not showing up on the portal yet.

You can call them and they will check if they have received them

Why was UMKCā€™s ba/md discouraged?

@speedyliv, UMKC program is 6 year only and considered very fast paced by most. IIRC, students have to take classes even during summer semester. So most students donā€™t get any time during the UG and then they enter med school which also require considerable work. Also some people have indicated UKMC does not give any scholarships.

But if this does not bother you, you can definitely go for it (donā€™t know when is their deadline). Their class intake size is quite big. This is what they say ā€œThe incoming class will be 105 ā€“ 101 students, with 60-65 students admitted from the state of Missouri, 30-35 students admitted from the regional states (Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska or Oklahoma) and 10-15 students admitted from out-of-stateā€

@rk1235rk

It took about two weeks for them to show up. We priority mailed in his last letter so if it shows up soon, I will let you know.

Itā€™s crazy to think most of the applications will be completed by this week! Now comes the wait! (Anxious nail biting)