Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

UMKC BA/MD deadline was Nov 1.
Students need to complete 4 years of undergrad within 2 years, including summers.
Most students have indicated it is like drinking water from a fire hose. But more importantly, the key complaint is lack of support from the administration for students in the program.
Also, UMKC medical school has a huge focus on internal medicine - students go through extra work in that area.

There is not much of savings from a 6-yr program since the tuition rates are much higher than regular UG rates from the start of the program i.e. first semester. If you decide to quit in the middle of 6 yr program, it may be very difficult to transfer to any other UG program. There may not be any merit based scholarship opportunities for non-residents (basically a full-pay deal).

This is the quote by roentgen from UMKC 6 yr BS/MD program-thread about non-residents.

"Itā€™s non-resident tuition that tends to skyrocket over the years. Even now, with some School of Medicine raised scholarships (see ā€œScholarships for Incoming Studentsā€), most, if not all, have gone to students in the resident and regional categories: https://med.umkc.edu/sa/finance/som_scholarships/

School of Medicine Estimated Education Fees for 2020-2021
https://www.umkc.edu/finadmin/cashiers/
https://med.umkc.edu/bamd/finance/

Year 1 (Fall / Spring)
Academic Fees & Costs: $43,236
Room & Board (on-campus fall / spring): $11,796
Books & Supplies: $2,670

Year 2 (Summer / Fall / Spring)
Academic Fees & Costs: $53,797
Room & Board (off-campus): $14,168
Books & Supplies: $2,670

Years 3-6 (Summer / Fall / Spring)
Academic Fees & Costs: $67,037
Room & Board (off-campus fall / spring / summer): $14,168
Books & Supplies: $3,560

As you can imagine, not surprisingly, out-of-state students in the BA/MD program tend to be pretty affluent, and tend to come from very economically privileged (and Iā€™m not just talking about upper middle class) families. Iā€™ve seen some exceptions, but those exceptions tend to take a LOT of loans and as you can imagine, itā€™s pretty mentally stressful, which can have a HUGE impact on personal experience in the program compared to that of an in-stater.

Itā€™s definitely something that matriculating BA/MD students should not take lightly before going into this program, should fully discuss with their family & maybe even talk to a financial advisor, and should be fully aware of the pitfalls."

D received an email from Pitt:

Pitt will be sending out supplements on or before Dec15 if they meet these qualifications, 1490 SAT or 34 ACT and rank within 1%

@Smilescreen, when did she apply? Did she email them about the status or they sent the email in general?

She applied before Nov1, it is a general email, no, she did not.

@Smilescreen

We got the same email. Itā€™s a sad day here because kiddoā€™s rank is top 3%, not 1%. It never mentioned that 1% on the website, though it does have language about the highest gpa possible, which given he is a fully dual enrolled student with a college 4.0, he definitely is taking the hardest class load at his high school due to his science/math path and has the highest gpa possible for that courseload.

My husband hates the saying but the kid and I repeat it a lot: it is what it is. He has a good attitude about the odds of any of them working out. Itā€™s just a crapshoot.

This is really harsh, top 1%. Didnā€™t know this but luckily my D did not apply to UPitt. She would have also missed this top 1% requirement with slight margin.

Yes unfair to all the kids going to tough schools whereas kids attending easy schools have a field day. Imagine being in top 1% in a school like TJ or Stuyvesant. Of course even that canā€™t guarantee anything, know someone from there who met even that high bar, was invited for the interview, but was not selected since they have a cap of 1 or 2 from each school.

@mom2boys1999 , when did you receive that email? My daughter never received that email she applied on 28th Oct.

Never mind! She didnā€™t check the email properly. Definitely she will be in the top 2-3% and our school doesnā€™t rank.

@moms2boys1999
I totally agree to what you say. At my Dā€™s school, they have pathways, some pathways classes are all APā€™s and some are regular classes. Depending on which pathway they pick, GAP is dictated. There are lot of kids that are exceptional that take science related pathways , which are regular glasses. So at the end, they can never compete with technology or other pathway kids in ranking.

I believe ranking is not a true indicator of their caliber. I heard that last year valedictorian had 29 APā€™s and some DE classes.

With Pitt, it says 1% if you are ranked, seems like kids that have no ranking at their school will not be affected by this.

@moms2boys1999
After submitting FAFSA, how many days did it take to receive the second email. We submitted on Saturday and waiting.

The program folks do have ways of figuring out even if the school doesnā€™t rank. Mostly based on the student performance profiles and distributions posted on the school websites. For example for a school like TJ, which I think doesnā€™t rank, top 1% may correspond to a uw gpa of around 3.98, give or take.

In case of such well known schools they may even cut some slack and consider students in the lowly top 2% also :-), but still an unfair and unequitable treatment compared to other candidates that they invite who may be no match in caliber to even say top 10% of students at such high achieving schools.

Non holistic approach I feel.

@rk2017 , do they consider weighted or unweighted gpa for class ranking? Earlier our school used to have val and sal but itā€™s based on weighted gpa. If they consider unweighted gpa, then I think itā€™s totally unfair as most of the kids take easy courses and can easily get 4.0 gpa.

For us, ranking is based on weighted GPA, so itā€™s a matter of how many APā€™s you end up taking. Itā€™s an AP game here. Some kids do a balance of APā€™s and extracurriculars, and some just pile up the APā€™s.
You are right, very non holistic approach.

@Smilescreen, it takes around 5-6 days after you submit FAFSA to get the email and then you can see SAR (Student Aid Report) when you log back into your FAFSA. I quite did not understand SAR as it did not have any concrete information. Any schools that you mentioned on FAFSA before submitting get your FAFSA. You can also add more schools later.

Mostly they take uw gpa into consideration. Even for weighted gpas they know the ranges (or will reach out to school counselors if any questions) for many of the schools. Taking the same example of TJ, it would be > 4.5 weighted gpa to be in top 1-2%.

Also the kids taking easy courses and maintaining higher uw gpa will be thrown out of consideration as per their own statement.

Same is the situation at my D school. Race to complete as many APs as possible. Even summers are packed with 2-3 APs/Dual.

U Pitt regular MD stats are median UG GPA 3.87, MCAT 517 ( 517 is not a very high score where max possible score is 528). It would be better to apply to U Pitt medical school via regular route MD.
LOL, 1% may be less than 1 student in a NJ high school with a senior class size of 70-75. That one student may not even give a darn about GAP BSMD. The student may be focused on getting into an Ivy or Stanford, MIT etc.

@grtd2010

Definitely more seats and more chances by going regular route than BS MD so where you do undergrad ??? T10 vs State school with full ride ??

If your end goal is medicine ? does it matter which undergrad or med school you go with ?