Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

For medical schools, rankings are not particularly relevant. I know of folks from Ivy-league undergrad matriculating into unranked medical schools. Another example, Vanderbilt undergrad students in the past three years have matriculated into 144 different medical schools.

Many BA/MD programs indicate on their website if they have any In-state or regional preferences.

@rk2017 -

Medical school (Renaissance Medical college) OOS tution is quoted as $65,160. Additionally students pay for room/board+ Food +Books etc.

As per state residency requirement for Renaissance Stony Brook Medical College, students need to meet state residency 12 months prior to be eligible for instate rates or at the time of their application. The initial residency determination is made at the time of admission.

My 2 cents on what is required to be considered in-state

-If a student is OOS for Undergrad because of their parents residency status, a student would have to prove that he was a resident one year before they applied for med school admission

-In order to be considered as instate, a student would need to carefully plan - which could include taking gap years after Undergrad, working, paying taxes before they apply. Usually applications need to be submitted one year before students join the medical school.

• Because of the difference in school year vs. tax years - It is quiet possible that students end up taking 3 gap years before joining med school.

-There is an exception for the required time period which can be reduced if a student went to a High School in NY state for 4 years

NOTE: 2-3 years of gap is certainly fine for some students and worth waiting for
$43, 670 tution rate for in-state students

[/quote]

@Vicky2019 Do you know for sure if a Stoney Brook’s medical school will keep your seat from BSMD for 2-3 years ( in case one decides to take gap 2-3 years) ? It does not seem to be a routine case for the medical school.

@Vicky2019 Do you know for sure if a Stoney Brook’s medical school will keep your seat from BSMD for 2-3 years ( in case one decides to take 2-3 gap years) ?
IMO, one should choose Stoney Brook’s BSMD without any hesitation unless there are better options available.

A residency is determined by a competitive National Residency Match Process (NRMP) and every medical student has an equal opportunity based on his/her credentials. A medical school’s residency list does not mean that one will be matched into one of those competitive residencies. Rankings are not very meaningful for medical schools except for prestige/ego/bragging rights.

@sam2024 - During the college tour, we asked and were informed that there is no instate preference.

@mygrade21 - Congratulations!

@grtd2010 - I didn’t do any research on the gap years. Current/old students may be able to provide some clarification.

Also assuming pre-approval from med school would be required for any gap years (similar to how it is required for HS students taking gap year before UG).

My research on residency was from the below links -
https://renaissance.stonybrookmedicine.edu/admissions/state-residency

http://ws.cc.sunysb.edu/bursar/residency

DD also just received NJIT Honors college interview setup email.

Most of the coveted programs are private, so can’t think of a reason for them to give any such preferences. If it may help, in a particular batch of ~20 at a popular program few years back, the biggest contingency of 4-5 was from CA (a big state though) that is almost diametrically on the other side of the country. The next two states with 3 students each were FL and NJ. I think PA had 2, TX, AZ and VA 1 each. Don’t remember or know the remaining class composition. There was at most 1 from the state where the university/program is located.

@rk1235rk - Congratulations!

Congrats @rk1235rk , @mygrad2021 .
My Daughter received NJIT Honors college interview also.

@mygrad2021 @TensedMom @rk1235rk

Congratulations to your kiddos!!! Confetti for everyone ‘“‘’’”’””

mygrad2021 , Tensedmom - congratulations
If u don’t mind me asking what were your DD ACT/SAT scores ?

Congratulations!!!

Happy Diwali to everyone.

congratulations!!!

Thank you @NoviceDad

@NoviceDad, @rk2017 and other senior members/parent of last cycle students, since this year all of the interviews will be virtual and students are not going to get opportunity of visit school/meet school official/meet other students, it will be a challenge to get prepared for zoom interview and give interviews in front of their computers in isolation. Can you please give some tips how to prepare for interview, what kind of questions can they expect, or anything else that you think would be beneficial for this cycle students to prepare well for their interviews?

There are bunch of youtube videos that talk about medical school interview question types. Are those something students should start viewing? Are BSMD students asked the same types of questions that are asked to traditional medical route students?

Thanks.

@rk1235rk

Actually I feel virtual interviews may be better for students. They are at the comfort of their homes, don’t have to travel far and wide, get scared of others kids at the interview venue etc :slight_smile:

Just a matter of practice to get used to the new pattern. Both @NoviceDad , myself and few others as well shared tips for the conventional interviews in the main threads of last year and the year before. You may want to search with catch phrases like interview, tips, suggestions etc and may find them. If I find any myself down the line will share here again.

@highschoolinnj , it’s 35. I think it maybe rolling or they have different batches so don’t worry. People who have more experience can comment on that.

@NoviceDad - Thank you. Happy Diwali to you too.
@highschoolinnj - She did SAT. 1550.