Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

This sounds very suspicious. I wouldn’t count on coming back to the US, as you’ll need to pass the US’ licensing exams and do a residency in the US (competing against US trained grads). The general advice is to go to med school in the country you want to practice in (only exception might be Canada since the systems are similar).

If you are asking about Penn State PMM, here is the stats for last year PMM results.

Applications - 917, Offered Admission - 45, Average ACT - 36, Average SAT - 1569, Average GPA - 3.95

When did you get your BU portal as we send it few days back and still have not received portal log in and contact the BU and told us wait couple more days.

@yuvi21

I submitted my application November 15 and got the login this morning.

@Sooar78 -

I urge you to do your due dilligence by calling up some Indian medical colleges.

Ask them about the fees for NRI students - $10,000 figure seems like too low…
As a guess, I wouldn’t be surprised if the fees was $50000/per for 5.5 years for MBBS in India…

Ask them about entrance tests like NEET - this is a requirement in India.

A simple search on google gave me the below info-

Last year, the Supreme Court ruled that NRI, PIO, OCI (Overseas Citizen of India), and foreign nationals will have to take the National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) exam, too to seek admission in Indian medical colleges.

https://www.indiaeducation.net/exams/entrance-exams/medical/how-to-prepare-for-neet-if-you-study-abroad.html#:~:text=Last%20year%2C%20the%20Supreme%20Court,admission%20in%20Indian%20medical%20colleges.

Last year about 3,000 US citizens but foreign medical graduates and About 4,000 international medical graduates (non US citizens) matched in the residency process.

So, while there is a possibility, most program directors prefer US medical graduates for residency.
Studying abroad introduces additional factors and hurdles.
It is not an easy path even though it may appear to be so.

There is still time to apply to more BS/MD programs - suggest expand the number to 10+ programs.

In Mumbai, India, NRI quota medical fees are about $60,000 PER YEAR (not $10,000).

This thread is about to hit a century… page 99 already !!

Probably a dumb question. What is ‘casper’??

Desperate times, desperate measures…
A maternity traveling business model thrived by similar thoughts.

@anxiousfor7year , I think it’s just a personality test. Just google it, you will find more information.

@PPofEngrDr @NoviceDad @Vicky2019 From what I’m understanding, the 10K is to gain an acceptance—not a tuition payment. It’s not just bribery but socially accepted bribery, which is extremely worrisome. There is a reason why there are high barriers to entry in the US for Doctors, given that you’re working with actual people’s lives.

Only a desperate Dr Parent would spend that kind of money to keep their shop open after retirement and child is unable to get admission to US school for same money.

yeah I agree. thats sus

Looks like we did not get interview from PMM

Child with SAT 1590 and two published papers excellent EC with GPA UW 4.0 May be looks like there is something PMM not like in essay’s

@sam2024 did you get a rejection email? if not then don’t lose hope, someone on here called the admissions office and they are not done sending out interview invites

@sam2024 , please refer to my post #1935. They are still reviewing.

CASPer is a computerized test that measures traits like professionalism, ethics, communication, and empathy. This year only Hofstra BSMD is requiring it. In earlier cycles, there were other BSMD such as RPI/Union/Siena - AMC and may be others, that required it.

$10K translates to roughly Rs 7.5 lacs.
Rates for management quota seats are much higher than these (at least in Mumbai).

And can still get 2% rebate…?