Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Figured that and we can figure out which company in the area can hire an IITian with Ph.D. from UT :slight_smile:

– deleted

I have no interest. If I want I can find out easily but I respect others privacy. I know kids in few BSMD programs also but don’t see a reason to find out. We are all here to help out each other or entertain ourselves.

Sure, it is deleted.

No need to delete. I know you meant it as a joke but my reply is to reassure others :slight_smile:

I would pick Stony brook University BA/MD over other new york bsmd programs. IMO, this is better than all others in NY that you mentioned

Ofcourse, i had already mentioned to pick JHU full ride if D doesnt prefer BSMD and try regular route MD.

4 Likes

Agree. For us, we can prepay upto 6 semesters only cos their UG is 3 years for BU SMED. Medical College tuition cannot be prepaid.

1 Like

Would you recommend SBU over BU SMED @Vicky2019 ? My DD has similar choices - BU SMED + PSU-SKMC, so asking. We’re leaning towards BU for now due to better ranking, UG closer to medical school, more familiar environment as DD is matriculating from private school and expects BU to have similar students in her UG and BSMD cohort. Matches are comparable though BU has tie up with California to spend third year of residency here. What are your thoughts?

Since $$$ don’t matter to you, go with BU

1 Like

FYI, @vicky2019 S is at PSU-SKMC. May be should ask PSU/SKMC vs BU SMED ?

2 Likes

Plus PSU-SMKC is not that less expensive than BU-SMED for OOS.

Yes, that was my intent. Guess I didn’t say it out that way. Would appreciate your thoughts @Vicky2019 .

1 Like

I’m deciding between OU MHSP, SLU Med Scholars, and Rice undergrad. Which seems like the best option? SLU gave me a full ride, and OU is a scholarship that makes it in-state tuition. I’m leaning toward OU as you can still apply outside while keeping your spot in the medical school, but I am unsure.

1 Like

I would say that candidate was either arrogant considering their high stats and/or very poor interview skills. That unsuccessful story should not deter you for for aiming to top schools just for being ORM. Those stats with good ECs would provide you a good base as a candidate for Top med schools.

And on the other hand, RPI is no Yale, but RPI should provide you with good college experience should decide on BSMD.

2 Likes

Seems like sound reasoning :+1:

Yes, admissions are not purely by GPA/MCAT whether it’s UG, Medical school or any other grad schools. All ORM parents here, is so and so didn’t get despite high stats and becomes mantra for some.

1 Like

Doesn’t SLU give same option? What’s the cost difference between OU and SLU?

@Mom22DDs -

You should go with BU SMED because of all the positive points for BU SMED you mentioned plus the below -

• With SMED, your D could easily be in Boston from UG thru her residency.
  • Also, Boston will be better commute wise for her and you during the next 8-12 years.
  • BU SOM is definitely comparable to Brown, CWRU PPSP
  • If you joined case western, UofR, Brown etc. 8 years bsmd programs, it would have costed you 720K. Compared to these, BU SMED is a bargain since you save 80K due to 7 years

Note: this recommendation is based on your comments about cost not being an issue and your preference for quality of UG and SOM

2 Likes

FYI, Boston has a very high cost of living.

2 Likes

I realized that you also had asked another question that I had not addressed earlier.

As far as comparison between PMM and SMED - you should ask your D which one she prefers and go with that.

Difference between SMED and PMM could be 146- 196K. There are two theories re: cost vs. value . Those going with PMM could justify the cost difference as the reason for choosing PMM. And those going with BU SMED could easily justify that the value from BU SMED justifies the cost!

BU vs. PMM -
UG, SOM research/primary care - BU: 42/33/44, PMM: 63/55/59
cost of attendance for BU - 616K and PMM: 420-470k

1 Like