Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Does doing UG at NYU help- She has full ride ChE at NYU Engg in Brookyln ( No BME). She can easily move to Biology etc. in Manhattan. Courant Math is topnotch and so is Stern.

Do not know what % NYU UG get in to NYU Langone SOM.

UCLA gives full ride to 30

So is the full ride to their UG students or nationwide irrespective of UG or state. Meaning UCLA gives 30 to UCLA UG or CA residents or nationwide.

For example GT UG gives full ride to 65 its own state student and 1 from every other state as per their statement this year while D was going through process- She was eliminated after interview and got partial ride.

Nope- We had eliminated NYU as 4 tall bldg. and even son did not want to join. But if they give preference to NYU UG, might be the best bet- NYU med free - Never thought that way!!!

Touching 401k for kid’s education costs or whatever, no way!
DD’s BSMD is expected to cost about 400K. We plan to pay for entire UG and part of med school at this time. That leaves her a possible loan of between 100-200K.

1 Like

Folks from all over even Harvard Undergrad want to join NYU Med school for the same reason.

NYU undergrad is no match to the med school

The way NYU is pulling talent it may be top med school in US soon

Not limited to any state or school

Nope, scholarship decisions are not based on UG.

From my limited knowledge, NO.
Students apply to an average of 70 programs to get about 10 interviews.

However, chances of interviews are higher where one does away-rotations.

2 Likes

You can loans for education but not for retirement.

It is a bad idea to mess up your retirement funds when you can get education loans.

Since NYU is a private college, I doubt they give preference to NY residents.

Also, NYU pays for tution but expects the students to pay for living expenses which is pretty high in New York city which can be 30+K (still very cheap compared to any medical school).

NYU is very competitive and getting in is not easy at all but no harm in trying. Some stats -
NYU LISOM acceptance rate was 1.3 percent. Average undergraduate GPA: 3.89 and MCAT - 520.

You have option between a BS/MD, an EAP and a regular undergrad.

How important is undergrad experience to you?
How important is it to become a doctor and the dreams post being a doctor?

Rice will give the best undergrad experience while OU provides a surer path to becoming a doctor.

There goes one more down the drain!!

I thought CC provided a gem!

I had raised hope that found a jackpot - Free UG and Med School at NYU if UG preferred!

@Vicky2019

So only 24 spots for MD at NYU? I used to think in 100s at most schools. Is same true at IVY med schools??

Also 24 by 4200 is less than 1%.

ChillPill should do it for you!

1 Like

@grtd2010

No Clue. Doubt if Stern Business or Courant Math kids are Med oriented. Same perhaps with Engg and CS ( they have CS in Engg and also in Courant - perhaps now combined with CE).

So pure science or other branch from Manhattan. Dont know acceptance of these kids if any. I lost touch with a kid who joined NYU Biology and wanted to pursue medicine. Not sure what happend later. It seems everyone joining SBU UG is premed!!!

Certainly not under the belt or whatever you may think. I did not start this off subject topic and if some folks here think of themselves above their heads (imagining themselves over and above what they actually are) reminder of reality shouldn’t hurt.

Please feel free and enlighten some of the facts of your kind and I am waiting to clap. The whole world has been waiting in fact. How many of your folks have matched or beaten the track records of some of the luminaries I have quoted above who all predated IITs? By the way I have forgotten another great name, Gobind Khorana, my bad. They did not have even a fraction of facilities, network, all the great goodies you guys enjoyed and still accomplished so much. Most of them produced their seminal works in their 20s, even early 20s. Chandrasekhar apparently did the theoretical work that got him Nobel towards the end of life on board his ship journey to England (Cambridge), barely 20 then. No guide, Ph.D, access to outside world and all that. Karmarkar came with his name bearing algorithm at, like what 27? Barely a year or two into Bell Labs after his Ph.D. I would have expected far many of that kind of instances year over year.

How many of your kind have won the national medal of technology or of science? Should have been few dozens I thought, but it must be 0 (unfortunately Karmarkar the only one with that possibility couldn’t make the cut because of no fault of his own but of his employer Bell Labs). Things of that sort.

Facts and figures speak loud and clear than whoever’s self image or conceptions about themselves or of others.

Year after year this forum is going off tangent. Best option is to stick to clarifying any questions students or parents have related to BS/MD programs process.

Collectively all should stop posting irrelevant topics of discussion.
Just another few weeks before this app cycle gets over. Thanks.

9 Likes