Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

What is the total cost (8 years) for option 1 ?

They have no expertise if their kids stayed away from medicine.

Who is taking loan for Columbia UG?

My D had ACL done a couple of years, we still went through doctor reviews, rating, and recommendation. I just checked the doctor qualification since we are talking about these a lot lately, he is from Stanford, so I guess the network makes those decisions for us already.

compengineer1 has mentioned that Columbia UG(BME) only gave summer research support of 10k as per his prior post.

I thought he is loaded.

They donā€™t. All they care is who agrees to their rates and uses proper billing codes. If the see the Stanford one charging a lot they donā€™t hesitate to drop them.

ā€“ C is the Dā€™s choice.

SDN is down for more than 24 hours, I wonder where their IT department got degrees from :slight_smile:

Maybe hospitals like Stanford, El Camino, Kaiser, etc. likes to hire them because they want that reputation and prestige they get from T10 school doctors. Donā€™t hospitals compete with each other to get patients?

You are overthinking, I know Kaiser recruiting very well. They donā€™t go by school reputation but mostly recruit thru referrals from their own physicians or faculty connections.

ā€“ none

Cost for options DC has as of this morningā€¦
1.Stony Brook BSMD (10K scholarship/yr) : In-State: $242K, OOS: $340K
2.Univ of Southern CA (USC) Premed UG half Tuition : $200K (UG only)
3.UT Dallas Premed UG Full Ride : $0 cost (UG only)

• in option 1 - Cost In-State $242K includes UG OOS tuition fees $17K/yr (after scholarship), and MD In-State fees $43K/yr (assuming DC takes a gap year, work in NY, and get NY resident status).

I am not, my wife recruits as a specialty chief.

How much as OOS for Stony Brook? If you need to take loans or take gap years to finance medical school, I would say go with UTD. Easy to get GPA and plan ECs from day 1.

May be I should go into UG consulting with my S :slight_smile: He needs some extra cash for his hobbies.

Every T20 school has similar claims.

Are you allowed to take gap year in BSMD program? IMO, anything up to $350K for BSMD is very good option. I know a student doing med school at Drexel through BSMD, gave up USC UG to go to Drexel BSMD that costs around $400K with all the scholarships that Drexel used to give 5 years back.

ultimately insurance companies are holding the Dr puppet strings.

Here is ā€¦
Stony Brook BSMD OOS Cost:
UG OOS: 27K/yr (before $10K scholarship)
MD OOS: 68K/yr (no scholarship)

Total OOS cost: $380K before scholarship, $340K after scholarship
All this includes Tuition only. Dorm/Room, Boarding all comes extra ($15K-$20K/yr).

Other costs beyond tuition may be more like 20-25k IMO in NYC area. SBU medical school may be more like 90k/year.