Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Do we have BS/MD Results - Class of 2021 yet?
Please let us know which bs/md people got in

Here ^

1 Like

So All BS-MD except Brown done. Any more pending?

As far as I know it seems that way, but I donā€™t know for sure :sweat_smile:

Two BS MD results remaining

UPSOM GAP later this month and Brown PLME RD

2 Likes

On a lighter note, I donā€™t see myself debating too much on these choices :slight_smile:

I would choose one of the NJMS schools where kid will be happy to attend! My DD would have been happy with TCNJ if cost is no concern for me based on the info sessions we attended. No idea about Rutgers, but NJMS being close it should be prioritized.

1 Like

You lose your guaranteed interview if you apply outside in SLU.

Wait so why are BS MDS like rochester and BU and brown so hyped if their rankings arent too high like brown is lower than roch and bu

non-Tx, SoCal! Thanks for the help. I am pretty set and clear about medicine.

1 Like

Rochester, BU, and Brown are hyped because they are mid-tier medical schools as opposed to other BS/MD programs that are mostly composed of lower-tier medical schools.

In addition, Rochester, BU and Brown are good undergraduate institutions unlike some of the undergrads associated with other programs.

2 Likes

Congratulations to ur son on the acceptance !!! . My D also got PPSP interview , but we just heard the rejection unfortunately :frowning:

As an update on my BS/MD journey, I was accepted to the Oklahoma University MHSP BS/MD program. This was my one and only interview for BS/MD programs. I didnā€™t have the best grades or extracurriculars but what I believe set me apart were my essays. Everyone who has reviewed them have said that they are the best essays that they have ever seen in their career. And as a word of advice to future applicants, APPLY BROADLY. This was the last BS/MD program I applied to and ended up being my only interview, I am not even an Oklahoma resident. Focus on your essays guys and apply broadly since there is not much else you can do to increase your chances once you begin senior year.

11 Likes

Since Oklahoma is non binding, I plan on maximizing my extracurriculars and smashing the MCAT to target for medical schools in Illinois and if I get lucky maybe even try for Northwestern/UChicago type schools

3 Likes

BTW, Illinois is my home state

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. We have gone through 8 rejections in past few months.

Same :grin:

BU SOM, Brown SOM, and URochester SOM are all respectable medical schools, ranked #33, #36, and #36, respectively (USNWR-Research). So not only is one ā€˜guaranteedā€™ admission to medical school, itā€™s a top 35 medical school (nothing to look down upon).

2 Likes

DS got into Case PPSP! Is there a parent of someone at Case PPSP that I can reach out to ask questions? Thanks so much to everyone for all the support/advice!

10 Likes

Agree, these are solid schools. If you are risk averse and donā€™t mind the high cost go for them. All three have good match history. Donā€™t think of applying out thru these schools. If you are not sure, go traditional, work smart and aim for T10 or T20

Yes, for high stats and strong ECs kids. my kid didnā€™t apply to BU/REMS/Brown this time. He only applied to T20s and got more interviews from T10 then T20. Yield protection and regional favoritism is real. Looking at app schools can reasonably predict where they can get acceptances.