Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I don’t know what to make of match lists but because so many experienced parents here recommended it as a source of information, I looked at it.

Yes, I understand match lists are based on the students that year. To me, they provide some indication of the type of students there and the kind of placements they get. To be so dismissive of match lists completely seems a bit rash, but if you are very knowledgeable about medicine otherwise, I can understand why you don’t need such information to aid your decision making. Lucky you!

I may be wrong. How important is that your D should do residency in CA? Can she not try for a job there after she becomes a physician? Do they usually get a job where they did residency?

Match list gives you a idea in specialities which college is strong.

High schoolers can guess now but I can bet you many will change mind when they are exposed to them

Mine elder one changed his mind on speciality two times during med school which is not uncommon

1 Like

I was adding to a thread that mentioned coming back to CA for residency. This is not in the context of my kids. I was researching Drexel for another parent and looked at past few years residency matches, and noted the CA placements, so added the info for others’ benefit.

I’m sure that also varies by the cohort that year, but yes, as someone not in medicine, I find matchlists helpful/indicative of where students could try to match to, in terms of location, specialty and hospitals.

TJ will be a lottery system from this year on.

It appears woke folks wanting to implement Diversity goals has started killing meritocracy.

2 Likes

I don’t know how students choose their specialty, or how/where they apply for residency, nor how they get job offers and make their choices of settling down.

USC after medical school costs will be nearly same as Stonybrook.
UT-Dallas - if TX medical school - will costs about ~150K-200K; otherwise will cost ~$300K-400K

Stonybrook is in the same ball-park.

I am leaning towards Stonybrook.

2 Likes

Please post your decision, stats and perspectives on the results thread.

I understand. I was not talking about your kids but in general is there correlation between where you do residency and where land in a job?

Good luck with IVYs folks today- It has to be agreed that they are powerhouse and whatever we may think ( or criticize etc.), they rule and kids love them and will/can change their view after decisions today. It is like many in India criticize US but most would take a flight to be in US ( BTW many of my topnotch IIT UG after PhD went back and few are professors at IIT B- My D also did research with him).

On unrelated note, many mentioned TX med schools are cheap but no one gave an approx number. Can someone put a number ( does not have to be accurarte like 10K or 20k or 40K etc. Or FREE!!!)- Now dont tell me to research that I can always do but D is smarter in CS and I am old ChE with only Fortran class!!!

Many kids try to choose a residency in a location they plan to practice.
That may show up as a correlation. I am not aware of any one doing such data analysis.

But there are no such guarantee that they will match in such a location. Students are generally happy to match anywhere on their list. So, at this stage, I would not worry too much about it.

3 Likes

Thanks! I agree, it’s a long way to go. I was just curious everyone was talking about it. I have no problem as my D never wants to return to the current city.

One question again- If you have money ( and think most Indians here must have accumulated fat $$) what are you going to do with it?

In my opinion the best use is the best education to kids- the rest is irrelevant thinking 40K here and 60K there. Now we can always optimize ( like being done here- put that saving in stock/house etc.) but what is the point?

Think let the kid go to the best school they got in and thats where they want to go. I know there is counter argument that school name does not matter ( and more in BSMD) but what will fat balance in bank achieve?? Property, more $$, etc.

When you go to Himalaya- you only need few $$!!

4 Likes

I am planning to go Hawaii not Himalaya, so need S to keep costs low. Also, if he keeps cost low, I will leave 529 to his kids. So win-win situation.

1 Like

Sir, when you go the Himalayas, would you be open to donating your money to a non-profit working in the field of education?
I can recommend that non-profit to you if you are open to it.

If you have any inclination of donating it now (relatively smaller amounts), I can still DM you the name of that non-profit.

You need to wait till tomorrow. He wants to blow all on CalTech.

1 Like

please help us to select between FAU and wash Jeff

Lot of medical recruiting is thru referrals and complex cases get referred to teaching hospitals and that’s how connections are established. Whenever my wife wants to recruit she first checks with her fellowship program and then her colleagues in different locations.

2 Likes

Congrats to everyone who got into Case.

Can you please share your profile in the results thread?