Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I will fully support UNC decision. UNC I believe is #1 ranked for primary care by USNWR so won’t hamper you with medical school admissions. Stay focused and find research opportunities early, GL!

1 Like

Let’s be honest to ourselves. How many times ORM stigma discloses true information,even if they are friends. How many over here disclose in their profile in results section for kind of advantage/disadvantage one has. Fact is JHU is largest supply of premed (iirc, ~25%) from their class speaks for itself.

2 Likes

I guess he wasn’t reading this thread or paying more attention to my posts :slight_smile: Wish you speedy recovery.

That’s what I remember suggesting couple of weeks ago, about considering other majors if it comes to that.

I read him these things and send screenshots constantly.

I swear he does this stuff to mess with me. Like hey mom is a captive audience, what malarkey can I do today?

Imma have the best nursing home though of all my friends given this nonsense he and his brother do.

go with UNC, don’t drop your bank for private among choices you have. Save that private money for med school and be a Dr relatively debt free.

3 Likes

@srk2017 -

Just my 2 cents on this topic -

1. Merit scholarships come at a cost. Students give up a good/better program for a bad one to get the scholarship in typical situations.
  2. Merit scholarships are given by UG colleges to attract top kids who would otherwise never think of joining these colleges.
  3. Merit scholarships are even more rare in medical colleges

Most kids here have excellent profiles with near 4.0 uw GPA, near perfect score, some national award/s and/or publication, etc… Inspite of this, very rarely any one gets merit scholarship in T15 school- only 1-2 kids in several thousands who apply.

This is the trend i have seen -

If you have T5-10 UG calibre, T40-60 UG schools will give full tution off, T80-120 or higher will give full ride. This again, only if you even applied to these colleges. With BSMD’s kids apply to T5-20 as well as T50, T100, T200 schools sometimes…Obviously, T200 school will them full ride and BSMD seat and additional honors to attract them!

1 Like

Congratulations !!

@PpofEngrDr - Sure, ofcourse. What you say definitely makes sense.

But in this forum - even if we try to be as generic as possible in our advise to students, we have our own set of bias (from our background/experience) and it shows in our posts.

So, overall advise will come from both angles and the students will be well equipped to arrive at their decisions - IMO.

2 Likes

Wish you speedy recovery

What is COA Stanford Undergrad vs Brown PLME undergrad ?

End of the day child has to decide and be accountable.

1 Like

@srk2017 For the benefit of all, it will be good if you could share your thoughts or fine tune or qualify the points below. Agree, the points below are not based on any stat evidence. At times feel students or parents should not fall in to trap that just to save money for MD, they can assume it is as easy to get in to T20 MD and forgo any choices without making calculated risk and willingness to put the extra 9 yards in the next 4 years.

1. If at all any merit aid (mostly partial) may happen only in T10-20 MD schools. Expecting any merit aid at MD is practically nil.

2. Only the T20 schools compete to attract students who got acceptance in T20. For example, if Iowa or UCSD or Mt. Sinai they may not care to pull students with merit aid even if they get admitted in other T20 schools.

3. Getting in to T20 is not just by 4.0, 528 scores, some thing more has happened in the last 4 years or more and that needs lot of efforts & planning, which may or may not be possible for students as they transition from HS to College, distance, self-reliance etc

Every one needs to make a choice at this critical juncture based on individual and family situations reality and should not rely on both extremes views and posts.

3 Likes

Yes, merit scholarships are used to lure students who otherwise don’t join and schools based on their experience know for sure. As I said before pretty much every CV scholar at Vandy has one or more Ivy or other T10s.

Same thing is happening medical schools, more push to award scholarships to attract students. While we all hear that traditional path is very difficult but more and more kids are getting scholarships for medical school. Multiple Vandy students this cycle have scholarships and I heard one student from UPenn (who declined Temple BSMD) got both NYU and UPenn full tuition. This trend will increase since more and more donors are coming forward to make medical education cheaper. None of these will be available for BSMD path i believe.

I am sure occupying with this forum gets your mind off from real issue. Wish you speedy recovery to roar back as mama bear. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh it is 10000% his decision.

Right now Sanford wins for FA as we would owe nothing out of pocket (his scholarships will cover family contribution)

Did an appeal at Brown as they gave a significantly lower package than any other school so awaiting to hear the word back on that.

Trying to figure out if we can squeeze a trip to Cali for the kid and his Dad.

Wish you speedy recovery! Your kid is scared (like all others here) Since it is decision making time.

1 Like

If he visits Stanford campus, dad has to come back alone :slight_smile:

1 Like

He definitely is- it’s such a huge decision and now he has options, it’s like :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

Pitt Medical School is a Top-most tier school.
Post Harvard, there are no guarantees - you may get NYU or you may get nothing.

I am leaning towards Pitt-Gap.

2 Likes

University of Pittsburgh is ranked No. 13 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 34 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.

That’s not top most my friend :slight_smile: There are at least 10+ medical schools offering merit scholarships and list is growing, Harvard name will be attractive to them.

Wish you a speedy recovery.