Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I think some people on this thread underestimate the cost of UIC’s medical school. Despite being in-state, the COA is still 79k a year, which is similar to UR med school. Of course, you would save a bit of money in the undergrad, but the cost difference is probably not as much as people in this thread tend to believe.

2 Likes

@PPofEngrDr - I went and visited Northwestern with my S when I went to visit friends/family in Chicago area. The student who took us around was a pre-med. I am aware that NUPSP is very competitive and hardly 5-6 students get in right?

Moreover, my sentence should not be silo’ed & needs to be considered holistically with other options such as UIC GPPA and UofR REMS in perspective. It doesn’t make sense to remove a sentence and comment on it because meaning changes considerably.

I have posted my stats ecs and application results in the results thread

1 Like

Thank you for posting your stats on the results thread.
Congratulations and all the very best for OU.

@GoodWishes123

Thank you for withdrawing your MHSP application. I was rejected pre-interview and received an interview later on because there was an open interview seat left. I ended up receiving an acceptance there.

To other applicants and acceptees, please withdraw from schools you are not considering, it can really make a HUGE difference as it did in my case.

8 Likes

Correct about NUPSP and we have first hand bitter taste of it recently. You had just visited, but my son is attending, I am sure you have come across about those postings. You had visited Chicago area, I have been living there for 20+ years. But that is mute point for this discussion.

I didn’t parse it as standalone statement. But to suggest that attend NU only if don’t want to be a Dr is exaggerating. There are other valid reasons for @kfl2021 not to attend it. In fact for @kfl2021 Northwestern option is certainly a costly option compare to other options, but cost doesn’t equate to can’t be a Dr anymore. Also I didn’t site NU campus as a reason, otherwise its lake appeal one can’t beat.
Further elaborate, I realize there is lots of commonality @kfl2021 has with my son. Both are ofc mid-western schools, both have UIUC BioE admission, both have Northwestern admission. I won’t hesitate to admit that @kfl2021 has even edge over my son as @kfl2021 has GPPA and REMS admission, as well as Harward waitlist. So I am confident all the options @kfl2021 has, none of them can go wrong. If it is for my son, I would pick GPPA in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

As an in-state student, this cannot be farther from the truth. Here are the tuition breakdowns, and it’s important to note that students have the opportunity to choose between campuses (which can also vary the costs):

From UIC’s Med School:
Chicago (In State):
1st Year: $52,419
2nd Year: $52,419
3rd Year: $52,419
4th Year: $35,625
Total: $192,883

Also, it should be noted that there have been cases that the UIC GPPA program was made into a 7-year program - students finish up undergrad in 3 years vs 4, which automatically saves time and cost as well.

1 Like

I was talking about COA not tuition :slight_smile: Also, they usually don’t make it a 7 year program anymore from what I’ve heard because they emphasize the 4 years in undergrad to develop and explore.

2 Likes

I think in the whole GPPA Vs REMS debate it comes down to whether or not you want to take the MCAT (taking it gives you that opportunity to apply out and will probably help prepare you for medical school); which location you prefer (Don’t know much about Rochester, but UIC is in the medical district which definitely provides opportunities); cost (but as @gracewins said, SOM cost are about the same, but if you plan on applying out then maybe just focus on UG cost, however, I wouldn’t bank on getting into a cheaper school either); UG and SOM ranking (ranking can help in some regards, but as many have said a doctor is a doctor and just because you went to a T20 doesn’t automatically make you the best); college atmosphere (may be difficult to assess if you can’t travel, but talking to current students and those also accepted to the program definitely helps); I think those factors cover most, but all is very much dependent on desires, goals, and family situations. Make a pros and cons list, talk to some going into the program and in the program, and talk finances and travel with your family. I hope this helps, however, a lot is just reiteration. Ultimately, you are the one steering the carriage so a top school or program doesn’t get you far if you stop trying.

4 Likes

I think they made it now that you can only matriculate after 4 years from acceptance. However, one can finish early and spend a year doing research or other endeavors.

1 Like

I can’t comment on your son’s unique circumstances but in the abstract, a well-trained physician(who attended some of the top universities in the world) leaving medical practice to make money in the venture capital world isn’t something I would celebrate. If the VC is somehow profiting from healthcare delivery (especially if it is in the typical private equity Ponzi scheme model of consolidating private practices) it is even worse. I would hope that these schools would instead try to find the top students who could patients in practice, research and teaching.

Again, I can’t speak to your son’s unique scenario but I would hate to think that others following this thread would consider an outcome in venture capital to be a goal that they should aspire to when they could serve as a physician.

2 Likes

@Sooar78 - Congratulations to you on Oklahoma University MHSP BSMD program. I am so happy to see your success. Wish you the very best!

1 Like

Its 14 for primary care and 36 for research if ur not going into academia i would assume thats most definitely top tier

Costs aside you would pick gppa over rems?

oh no gpa req for GPPA?

absolutely. For me beyond T30 SOM every thing else is more or less same.

This gives all of the requirements to matriculate to UICOM for GPPA.

On interview day, dean said 9 people accepted out of 30-something that apply for the early assurance program

isnt rochester higher ranked though if ur talking in terms of rankings or am i misudnerstanding

Also, the gpa is rleatively easy to maintain if you ask current students