Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

For me rankings are only 2 distinct categories, Top and Bottom, one should explore their full potential to opt for Top before settling for Bottom.

With the end of ivy day, I was accepted into UPENN for undergrad. Would have to pay full 75K per year which I canā€™t justify.

Rejected from Brown PLME and UG altogether which is quite disappointing. Biggest regret with this college season was that I didnā€™t apply ED to Brown PLME where my chance of acceptance would have been 2.7% (19/700) versus 2% in the regular round. Although my parents did not like the possibility with only getting into just Brown UG.

Anyways my BS/MD journey has ended and I just committed to VCU BS/MD. Will probably apply out the program in hopes of making it to NYU or UPenn med school.

5 Likes

You probably just made a typo, but 2.7%*. I think everyone would ED PLME if it was 27% :joy:

Huge congrats on VCU BS/MD!!

1 Like

Last year, around 600 people applied Brown PLME ED. Iā€™m assuming 100 more people applied to PLME ED this year for a total of 700 ED applicants. This year 19 students accepted ED into PLME. So 19/700 = 2.7% My bad.

That is the first sign that Dr is right profession, not engineering. :grinning:

4 Likes

@DIdjaco You may have intended this for another OP not @srk2017. Did see him mentioning his S going for VC and not doing residency after MD ?. In fact, his S is keen on ortho.

There is not much difference between 2.7 % and 2.0 %. Ivies prefer full pay applicants.

Relax, thatā€™s not my son :grinning:

It is not. Check USNWR rankings and also look for PD rankings

I agree your son is looking at medical surgical speciality like mine

@Didjaco made a valid point why waste 4 years and resources doing a MD and then go to VC. Just do a MBA and go directly to VC.

How about getting full medical knowledge if you want to be a healthcare VC. He was planning to finish residency but he got one of those tough to refuse offers.

I donot think VC need that. They just work with models and numbers. They can hire medical experts if needed.

I didnā€™t say VC need it but may be kid wanted to have it or thatā€™s their plan B :slight_smile: If VC doesnā€™t workout go back to medicine.

We are glad that someone is able to use the spot. We are really happy for you.

1 Like

Remember most schools offer more than they have and may not dip into WL.

Hi All, I am confused to choose between Cornell, Rice, Duke, Vandy Premed and TAMU S2M(I am instate). Please advice.

@LogicalJoyner - Can you explain a little bit more about TAMU S2M program? How many are in the program? How many graduate to med school?
What is the cost? What is the requirement for graduation to med school?

My recommendation would be either TAMU S2MI or Duke depending on which path you are more inclined to. I know some folks here are fans of Rice, but personally I donā€™t feel the same kind of charm for it as for Duke. You need to decide for yourself though.

1 Like

@RR3600 - Congratulations on VCU BS/MD and best wishes for the future.

I enjoyed reading your detailed notes. I am sure the next gen BSMD/BSDO aspirants will benefit.

1 Like