Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

May be he should visit before deciding.

1 Like

My Son had bad experience with NJMS interviewer also!

1 Like

It is really strange that no one has reported receiving any calls for TCNJ/NJMS acceptances.

Does anyone know if Hofstra is still calling people? Did they only accept people from the first interview day so far?

i also got the njit call yesterday at 4PM. i was forwarded via all 3 NJ feeder schools i applied to, so does that mean i got into all 3?

2 Likes

TCNJ in my opinion is either not organized well or somewhat secretive.
They never informed us that they had forwarded our application to NJMS. We only came to know about it when NJMS interviewer told D.

Most likely. Though I would say wait for each feeder to inform you.

1 Like

Congrats to everyone who got a NJMS, Upstate and/or FAU acceptance!!

Thatā€™s the unfortunate drawback to Ivy Day being pushed back- thereā€™s a shorter window between Decision release and decision day. I am a firm believer in visits (and we did a lot before Covid). We will probably end up w a quick weekend trip to see the area. I honestly think that would help.

@GoldenRock
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I am hoping he ends up there. The Native community there is also very connected so he would have a network even before he gets there. Stan-Ford is my preference even above most of his Ivies.

We did zero visits before applying and only visit after decisions is Vandy. I told my S to visit Vandy first and reach out to the faculty he is interested and if he doesnā€™t like I would take him to Penn. He was assigned another CV desi kid to sell Vandy and he was very nice (and became good friend to him afterwards) and the PI quickly offered research position knowing his previous work. So that combination helped him decide and skip Penn trip. So come up with a plan to convince your kid. Donā€™t give up Stanford for any BSMD or other UGs.

1 Like

WASHU and HPME were the ones worth before but now difficult to justify leaving Stanford for BS MD.

Second that-Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Caltech Trumps.

Yes you are right. The sad thing is is NJMS has some notoriously difficult interviewers. Not that it will change admissions decisions, but I will be sending an email to admissions office letting them know of the unprofessional behavior of their interviewers. They should at least know and if thatā€™s the kind of attitude they want to project then NJMS was never the right place for us anyway. Pressuring the kids to the point where they canā€™t even give a good interview is terrible.

got rutgers/njms call!

10 Likes

Excellent! This means that calls/emails from other feeders should start coming in soon!

2 Likes

MIT, CalTech and JHU are tough for premeds and depending on the major you need to change the order. For example JHU is ahead for BME.

D just now received a call from NJIT about acceptance. So, calls are still coming inā€¦

10 Likes

Email should be from your child not you. They donā€™t want to hear from parents.

Congrats to everyone with a NJMS acceptances!!

Not in order- Smart kids will have their own preference like MIT or Harvard and Stanford/MIT or Caltech.

Although JHU BME is topnotch ( while other branches nowhere like ChE 40 or so), think if finances are equivalent, JHU is not in the same league.