Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

If D is denied, I don’t really care who they want to hear from. :joy:

1 Like

And they also don’t care if it came from a parent :rofl:

1 Like

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: care or not care, i feel that someone needs to address this issue. enough said on that.

To me you should look at the field of study not overall school reputation. Even the Penn is ranked higher (due to Wharton), I didn’t feel it’s worth spending $200K over Vandy for basic sciences and S’s results are better than his friend who went to Penn.

Same goes with Medicine, even though Harvard is ranked #1, those in the field thinks UCSF is #1, followed by Hopkins and may be Penn.

my suggestion was if it comes from the student it carries more weight otherwise it sounds like from a “helicopter/tiger” parent. you can send whatever you want :slight_smile:

True. But if the difference is not much ( say MIT/Caltech BME vs. JHU BME), overall school like MIT/Caltech due to much stronger math/physics/chem etc. dept. perhaps is better to go unless huge differences.

This is very much apparent in CS/EE where CMU tops in nation with MIT/Stanford/Caltech close but all other dept. in CMU are way low ranked (it doesnt have a BME- some electives in ChE).

Now, I am still learning MD schools so can not comment. We await result of SBU interview and many other school UG/IVY results and then D has tough decisions to make.

I agree no college will like helicopter parents.

CMU premed has tie up with UPSOM. Still I would rank it lower than MIT or JHU

1 Like

@compengineer1

But do not go by my recommendations as CMU may have better opportunity in some areas of Technology integration with medicine than others. Depends on which area child is interested but for MD admission it does not matter what you major in. But that may not be the case for MD PHD

1 Like

Are you in-state? We still don’t know how many Rutgers will accept? Also, I see that many parents in this group are leaning towards TCNJ over other feeder schools, wondering about TCNJ pros over other schools. Also, is there any hospital nearby TCNJ for students to do shadowing/clinical volunteering activities?

1 Like

Pressure interviews are not that uncommon, it depends on the interviewer one happens to get. You may not get a positive response from NJMS, they get to decide whom they want to admit.

Unless you get TCNJ/MJMS, it may not be a good choice for a UG. It is located in a secluded area near Trenton, NJ.

Thank you for that input. I was wondering if the academic standard is high at TCNJ compared to NJIT & Rutgers-Newark

TCNJ is more like a liberal arts college where as NJIT is premier engineering institute in NJ. It depends what do you like ? One may have to take a Calculus 3 class at NJIT as a BSMD student. Both NJIT/Rutgers-Newark are in a urban location where as TCNJ is a secluded location away from urban area. One can go to Philadelphia area from TCNJ to do medical ECs via train ( 45 min-1 hr) ride.

Let me ask the question in a different way, maybe that’s what I am looking for: Which feeder school is the best to do UG for NJMS assuming we got into NJMS BS/BA-MD program?

In the initial information session about Rutgers-NJMS, they had said that about 8-12 enroll each year so I guess they accept a little more than that… I’m literally praying to get that call from Rutgers lol as it’s the only one I had applied through :sweat_smile:

I got NJMS/Rutgers call!!! They kept me waiting in fear though…

7 Likes

Did you get it right now or in the afternoon?

My D got a call from Rutgers too

5 Likes

My D got it around 12:15 PST

4 Likes