Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Harvard without a doubt.

3 Likes

Your S is N=1 special, so can’t use him for comparison. BTW, I PMed you.

Then No to BSDO. It’s not that difficulty to get into DO after UG.

1 Like

GAP undergrad Science GPA of minimum 3.75 is the requirement when you say drop from GAP program do you mean students did not meet academic requirements or did they apply and left to other medical schools as I assume where they went were atleast T10 med school (Higher rank than Pitt med) …if so then in that case student is leaving GAP Pitt med indicates these smart kids should not join the BS MD program

Any way for traditional path you need minimum 3.75 GPA to be a competitive candidate

@srk2017 @mak2000 - Both of your kids are rock stars! Celebrate their success and be proud parents.

That’s where I wonder all Harvard caliber kids/parents wandering here looking for advice on not-so-highly rated BSMD programs. While no one can be guaranteed a T5/T10 med school spot, but top rated kids passing a possible opportunity to do T5 or free NYU/Kaiser is not so appealing! While it’s not for everybody, weigh-in your own capabilities and take the risk.

1 Like

If one is unsuccessful in becoming a MD, Statistics major is more employable than Bio/Chem/Neuroscience.

If Upstate SOM+ UG cost is lower, then take it.

I have simple rule, if kid was able to get into multiple T20 UG based on academics (not for social service or non-academic achievements) I believe they should not be wasting $500K+ on low tier BSMDs but my good friend has been feeding all failure stories so I hang around to make sure they go to T20 UGs :slight_smile:

1 Like

In UVA I think it’s biology department and BS. It’s not possible in uVA I think there is no minor or BA-neuro

So Brown matched his highest aid package and added $15k in aid. At this point his undergrad will be fully covered between the Brown funds, his tribal tuition funds, and he will make a little money from his scholarships.

It also means he can save his GI bill for med school so two years will be fully funded and at least $$50k per year of the last two years will be covered.

So 8 years PLME would end up costing $80k. Not a bad debt burden. We are very very pleased

11 Likes

@zarararaaa

He put an explanation in his additional information section. At schools he was extremely interested in, he established a relationship with the adcom and sent in a letter directly to them.

1 Like

@sam2024 and others - Remember the GAP kid who I said was doing MBA after finishing UG in 3 years, I talked to him today. He took another gap year applied out and will be attending Harvard Medical school. Apart from prepping for his MCAT, he is also finishing up MPH. So in 5 years, he has a bachelors and 2 masters and is going to Harvard Medical 2021.

Add me as another vote to advocate traditional route.

1 Like

Awesome kids, let your DD do what she wants :slight_smile: she seems to know what works for her best !

My son attended the PLME discussion last night and apparently their program lets you take gap years and still keep your place in the med school.

So that’s a bit of the traditional married with BSMD

3 Likes

All BSMDs I believe let you take gap years but most won’t let you apply out without losing the guaranteed admission.

I think it really depends on how much you are pushed to do in undergrad. Union was not the hardest UG in the world, but we were kept busy with the MBA and second major plus EC’s. I see a similar sort of work ethic with students from the RPI program as they only have 3 years of UG plus a ton of research expectations.

2 Likes

My by for the questions

Not sure if I mentioned in response to your queries earlier or to someone else’s. Someone in last cycle chose REMS over Stanford undergrad. You can find his/her contact in the 2020 results thread. Private message him and hopefully he responds and you can compare notes. May help in your decision making.

1 Like

It is a BA in Neurosciecne at UVA College of Arts & Sciences as per
https://neuroscience.as.virginia.edu/admission-requirements
Applications for the Neuroscience BA Class of 2023
“Only students who meet the requirements to declare the major (see application and declaration requirements) will be considered for admission. Currently, the program admits a maximum of 25 students. Therefore, class performance and a desire to focus on neuroscience research will be examined closely by the executive committee.”

“The Neuroscience major is designed for students who have a specific interest in the biology of the nervous system, ranging from molecular neurobiology through the biological basis of behavior. This major is truly inter-departmental in instruction, involving the Biology and Psychology Departments, and it is inter-college in that faculty from the School of Medicine can direct neuroscience research projects and Distinguished Majors theses.”
yes, There is no minor in Neuroscience at UVA.

1 Like

An interesting fact from the latest available class profile of Rochester, pretty much everyone from the REMS program seems to continue on to med school instead of choosing to opt out or apply out. They must have had enough exposure to the med school there during undergrad years and convinced it is a good med school to continue their journey into.

“Among our special matriculation programs, 7 of you entered under our Bryn
Mawr affiliation, 1 from our Johns Hopkins affiliation, and 2 Associated
Medical Schools of New York Post-Baccalaureate programs. Eleven are
part of our 8-year Rochester Early Medical Scholars Baccalaureate/MD
Program, 10 are part of our Early Assurance Program, 2 join from our joint
MD-MBA and 6 remarkable young women and men join as future clinician
scientists in our 8-year, NIH funded MD/PhD, Medical Scientist Training
Program.”

2 Likes