Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

The total cost of attendance seems to be cheaper at Brooklyn (considering they convert to instate after 12 months). DC thinks the location of Downstate gives a great exposure to diverse patients with different conditions.

1 Like

Thanks for your perspective.

I found general demographics info, Progression of Applications etc, not from AAMC but directly from the medical school’s websites.

http://www.meded.uci.edu/Admissions/first-year-profile.asp

I actually want to know MD (M1) intake students’ UG college info. Student names are not required, but want to see which institution got intake from other institutions, etc. any idea where can I pull this info? Thanks.

@Novicedad, yes the cost was the concern but getting instate after a year makes it same or cheaper to SLU even with VP scholarship. No scholarship except NM at UMKC.

Yes, SLU 25K per year scholarship. Brooklyn seem to convert to instate after a year. So the cost comes around the same.

— deleted

Thanks. SUNY Downstate is not ranked. So where does it stand compared to state universities SOM?

AAMC is not a source for such information. They seem to provide aggregate data. Search google for each medical school if they publish such info for public use. One can email and ask for details from the medical school.

1 Like

@vves20
FYI, from SBU website, how one can become eligible for in-state tuition at SBU after one year ? One has to be financially independent (see req #2 ).
One should not make assumptions about in-state tuition unless absolutely sure. Attending a college in NY state is not sufficient (req #3).

2 Likes

Thank you. This is different from what CUNY people said and given in their website. I think we should call them again to make it clear

1 Like

It is usually NY state which decides who is eligible for state residency. Check with them, IMO.

This could be a good business idea. You can charge good amount.

On serious note, if some really need this info, they can call couple of schools they are considering.

1 Like

It looks like Brooklyn/Downstate seems better choice then. However, NY state residency will only be achieved with 1-2 GAP years IMO where the student files their own taxes and takes loan for SOM.

In CUNY/Downstate, if students meet the required 3.5 GPA in Brooklyn and get the MCAT score determined by the Downstate, they graduate to SOM. On the other hand SLU has stricter requirements of 3.65 GPA with 3.65 Science GPA every year. MCAT is also required. However, all of this guarantees the interview only.

3 Likes

Yes I did that, thank you but was wondering if the data exists outside. Thank you!!!

Thank you so much!!!

@Mom22DDs
I withdrew from UConn yesterday.

Yale, Columbia, and others too. I have narrowed it down to VCU GMed (in-state + full tuition for UG) or Rochester (Alternate).

5 Likes

You’re getting closer to a decision, congratulations @SpeedSkater !!

My DD narrowed her choices down to PMM and BU SMED, decided on BU, and committed to them already!

2 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter and your family! :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.vnews.com/Geisel-Students-Have-A-Lot-to-Lose-in-Battle-With-College-Over-Cheating-Allegations-39946055

Dartmouth Medical Students accused of cheating

BTW, Canvas is used by numerous colleges and universities for instructions, posting grades and communications etc.