Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Swarthmore has a high 80’s% of acceptance into medical school from those that apply. That is a little less than double the national average. I would check to see if they have a pre-professional advisor. The GPA, MCAT, highest scores in sciences that you can achieve, leadership positions and LOR’s are determining factors. It is not even necessary to major in the sciences as long as you take and ace the pre-req’s.

1 Like

Got Rejection from Stony-brook Honors but got acceptance for Biomedical Engineering from John Hopkins. DS is happy about this and hoping for good news from IVY leagues.

3 Likes

Rejected from stony brook honors as well. Quite honestly I’m very frustrated by this decision as SBU is my safety and I know I am well qualified for their honors programs, but what can you do

Congratulations @saws21 & @OatAlmSoy on Temple/LKSOM acceptance

1 Like

@compengineer1 – Congratulations on acceptance to John Hopkins BME & full tuition as Westage scholar

@Geek13 – Congratulations on Johns Hopkins to you as well

@Geek13, @LargeTortoise , @doctorpenguin – Sorry about Stony Brook.

@bsmdbuff - Sorry about Stevens/NJMS.

@mom2boys1999 – Sorry about Johns Hopkins but Congrats on Swarthmore.

Wish you all good luck for other UG and BS/MD programs!

1 Like

My apologies @LargeTortoise (and @Geek13 and @doctorpenguin ) for Stony Brook. My DD unfortunately also rejected from Honors and BSMD last night. Feel the same way. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that the significant increase in # applications this year (presumably due to COVID-19, economic-state school more appealing, test-optional policy) affecting regular decision acceptance rates have also made the Honors programs and the already competitive Scholars for Med program much more selective. Best of luck with the upcoming decisions in the next couple of weeks.

2 Likes

A couple of thoughts from article.

1. With an increase in medical school applications this year (presumably due to COVID affecting other sectors of the work place), would this factor in those deciding between BSMD (or BSDO) vs traditional route?
  2. How do they (government and/or who governs medical programs on the country) justify training more medical students than available residency positions? Even if the unfilled post-Match residency slots are filled with those US medical graduates that initially went unmatched, there will still be unmatched US medical graduates. With the constant complaints of a physician shortage in the country (which we’ve been hearing for almost 3 decades now), why not increase residency positions/programs in the country?
1 Like

Congratulations to all on the recent admissions. Just a word of caution to bring to attention that JHU in general has reputation for grade deflation and BME in particular is known to be very tough there. Not that you are not capable of shining there, but also good chances it may detail one’s chances of getting to med school or may have to settle for safety med schools if gpa suffers. If possible try to reach out to any students in the major to get a feel. Even if one goes ahead with that major, be prepared to put in a lot more effort than those from other majors there. Most of the students at JHU end up taking gap years (of course if one does well, at least a magna cum laude level there, decent chances of making it to med school there though)

@rk2017

Thanks- Perhaps any top school engg or BME will have this problem ( perhaps more with CS/EE major that usually gets the cream)- JHU or MIT or Harvey Mudd or Caltech or Stanford etc.

Await more results- JHU full tuition makes attractive ( GT is also same)- not sure IVYs will give $$ though- will see. What do you think?

Although D wants to be MD, she also wants top undergrad if possible.

Haven’t heard of Ivies giving any $ other than for need based (quoting from nephew’s experience who had top/perfect everything). Stanford and Caltech BME (or equivalent) is perhaps easier than JHU’s and MIT. But yes JHU free ride does make it compelling.

@rk2017

There is a reason why JHU gives a free ride- perhaps get folks from IVYs/MIT/Stanford/Caltech etc.

Stanford or Caltech EE/CS is gruelling whereas BME/ChE are more easy to get in. JHU/GT BME is other way. Most Engg schools are ranked based on EE/CS as for engineers, those are the best growth areas. For MD, perhaps BME/ChE if you want to be engineer also.

She also got UCLA BME late night yesterday- no mention of $$ though- We are OOS.

Hard decisions ahead.

1 Like

After 3 waitlists in a row yesterday (JHU, UC San Diego, UC LA) DC in shock and speechless. With nearly half of decisions yet to come, will this end? Don’t think so, due to over subscriptions at every college DC has applied to, test option and test blind (UCs) giving us a wild spin. :roll_eyes:

How is UCLA for premed? Now that people are comparing it with other schools. JHU waitlist is almost 0 chances of getting in, maybe UCLA waitlist has chances?

del

2 Likes

JHU

Something to note - ~80% of students who get into medical school have >=1 gap year. And about 25% have >=2 gap years. And these are the students who have survived the weed out classes and have received Committee Letters.

JHU’s BME program is one of the best BME programs in the country.
However, it will require a lot of hard work to get and maintain >3.8 GPA.

But if it is a dream college, weigh the trade-offs between undergrad dream vs a potential miss or delayed medical dream.

1 Like

I received the email from Stevens that I did not meet the requirements for the accelerated medical program, but I was only forwarded to NJMS through NJIT and TCNJ. Does this mean that my chances at NJMS are over?

I dont think so. Did you interview with NJMS?

Yes, I interviewed in early Feb. the interview went well, and I was rejected by stevens pre-interview. That’s why I was confused.

125 seems less for 7 feeders. Where did you get this information from?