Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

DC didn’t apply to Penn State’s PMM, so don’t know much about that program. If I put myself in your shoes, I would look for characteristics/comparable things such as a strong research base, duration (8 vs 7 years), location, cost, strong alumni, research opportunities for the undergrad students, residency match list (drill down to last 2 years at least), etc. While looking at the residency match list, you can use the John Hopkins match list as a reference point and see which one is closer or better. You need to check if Case Western allows using AP credits and summer courses and let you graduate in 7 years. Anyhow without checking all these, I am leaning towards Case Western. Experts can chime in. Good luck!

@lilbody Jefferson fees equally high (irrespective of IS or OOS) around $58k vs CWRU $67 and $36k over 4 years MD is small. PSU can save 1 year if that is critical for you. Otherwise CWRU is a edges better. Whatever fits you for 7-8 years in terms of location, cost, goals.

Thanks @grtd2010

My kid would have seized PPSP and been so damn happy. He really liked Case and its medical community.

1 Like

Case PPSP for sure.

1. Student can finish UG in three years and allowed to spend fourth year without paying tuition and can do research and earn if student wishes 2) Reputable Medical School (end goal). Ranked 25th, $550 Million brand new campus with new technologies 3) Training exposure in M3 and M4 with four different options including highly ranked # 2 Cleveland Clinic 3) Wider choices of residency match and most importantly 4) Welcoming and friendly community of ADCOM, Staff and Students.
2 Likes

@lilbody
No contest PPSP over PMM. What have you decided ?

@lilbody

These are 10 factors in order we used - Institution mission/fit, UG experience, Medical School, Diverse residency match, Access to research funding & facilities, Overall resources, Size/Diversity of the college, Location, Brand, and Cost of attendance.

1 Like

Congratulations to your DC for Stony Brook. Our best!

1 Like

FYI, BSMD students do go through AMCAS application process like the traditional route students do except they apply through a restricted application category “Combined bachelor/medical” to a Single medical school. They need all the materials as required by the single medial school and fill out all the sections of AMCAS application including secondary application. They also follow all AAMC protocols.

There is a section for Personal Comment on AMCAS(~5300 chars) application. It should be used for candidate’s Personal Statement. One should not leave it empty. The Experience section allows maximum 15 activities, three of these may be designated as ‘most meaningful’ (which allows a larger char counts).
Each activity needs to be categorized as one of many choices like Community Service/Volunteer-Medical/Clinical, Community Service/Volunteer - Not Medical/Clinical, Extracurricular Activities, Honors/Awards/Recognitions, Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant, Research/Lab, Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation, Leadership, etc.

1 Like

FYI, all the activities must be done during college. One starts with a clean slate and whatever one has done in high school can not be recycled since one has to specify start and end dates during the college attendance period.
One has no freedom from the medical ECs, volunteering, research, etc since one has chosen a BSMD path. Only some may not need a MCAT score, depending upon the BSMD program. They may have to maintain certain sGPA and/or overall GPA during UG as required by the BSMD program to be in good standing during UG years or loose their seat in the BSMD program.

@rk2017 @cheer2021 @GoldenRock @mom2boys1999 @Threebrook Thank you for all of your input. It was very helpful in making my decision.

I decided PPSP :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Make sure to post/update the result thread :grin:

by any chance, has anyone heard back from umkc WL?

All

If you have not shared your stats + perspectives, please do so in the results thread.

2 Likes

@srk2017 , have you retired from the forums or are you still around? Needed some input from you if you are still around. Kindly PM. Thanks

I’ve been reading this thread when I accidentally came across it late last year. What a great discussion with very different perspectives. First of all, I would like to thank the seniors in the forum for giving their valuable time helping the kids and parents like me.

Also thanks to those who shared their stats and reasons for and against their decisions. As we haven’t heard anyone gone to an Ivy school from our small suburban (village) school, it would be interesting to hear the stats of the kids who got multiple Ivy and BSMD offers. Especially from @compengineer1 and @muscarf.

Also, stats and comments from others who were very active in this admission cycle like @karmayogi, @TensedMom, @love4bsmd (as a new user cannot mention more than 5 users) elgordito, BGKYMom, LargeTortoise, etc. will be of great help as well. Advance thanks to them.

My kid will be entering high school this fall and it’s a long way to go. Good luck to all the kids who have joined their dream BS/MD and Ivy League schools and congratulations to their parents.

1 Like

Thanks for your complements to senior members. Just to clarify, BS/MD only represents approximately 5% of total medical seats in US medical schools. The 95% of medical school seats are filled by regular route path. There is a distinct advantage to regular 4 year UG path, IMO. Please consider this seriously and choose wisely if your DC wants to pursue BS/MD path. It is very stressful and unpredictable path. One has to repeat all medical ECs, volunteering, research in UG again even if joined a BSMD program and one limits him/herself to one medical school. It may not be worth to pursue BS/MD just to have a bird-at-hand option, IMO. As they say your mileage may vary, read past years result threads and do your own research. If you are an ORM, please make sure your DC has near perfect SAT/ACT and UW GPA in high school.

Can you shed some light on why your daughter chose Temple BSMD (and as per your posts is doing pretty well there and seems happy) if you yourself don’t seem to hold a very high opinion about the BSMD programs?

It was not the main reason but the cost of UG with full tuition scholarship. Most expensive BSMD programs costing >= 550 k are not worth the cost, IMO and one can do much better via regular route, and not be limited to only one medical school, with a higher probability of getting into at least ONE medical school. There is a 88% probability of getting into at least one medical school for the applicants with ( UG GPA >= 3.8 and MCAT score >=518) as per AAMC data. Do your own research and choose what suits you.

1 Like