Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Obviously it’s up to the kid, we are all here throwing out possibilities :slight_smile: Yes application process takes almost year’s time but medicine is like that. They have to do same for residency and fellowship so process itself shouldn’t deter ambitious students. But if kid (like my brother’s son) wants a laid back approach then it’s different but OK. All comes down to kids priorities and parents check book :slight_smile:

D was informed likely for Columbia BME- Think we will move away from JHU.

3 Likes

Thank you. This is helpful.

why Columbia BME over JHU? I am curious.

Wait, so if they apply out, they have to do undergrad for 4 years ? Don’t think this was mentioned at the college info; Also, for now he is into neuro but I most definitely think that will change; too young to devide!

Not sure but while D was in their SHP program they claimed to have highest number selection to MD ( can some experts confirm this!).

Perhaps Columbia ( and some other IVYs) offer the best of all worlds ( not sure 100% true).

UT- Austin ranks 3 in ChE but folks will go to less ChE ranked IVY ( Yale or Columbia etc.)

Will await more results.

Hope this sparks intelligent discussion on IVY vs non and MD vs traditional.

1 Like

what happened to Caltech ? Still under consideration.

@ grtd2010 - Caltech is waitlist and not many waitlist move at Caltech. She would love to go there.

UMKC decisions are out. Got in!!

8 Likes

If the goal is being a MD, a board certified MD from any UG or medical school gets paid the same amount by medicare and insurance payers.
One can go on tangent to discuss T10-T20 medical schools etc but there is no guarantee one will land up in highly sought after residencies (with a very few slots). So ask your D what does see wants to be a BME or what kind of a MD ?

Question: Should you be looking at residency programs at the medical school itself when considering where to go. Like FAU has only 5 programs where as NJMS has so many, including Plastic, Neurological Surgery, Vascular Neurology, Ophthalmology and many others (which are more competitive).
How does this play overall? Do medical school residency directors prefer their own students (to some extend that you have some advantage)? Does it mean that your education/rotation will/might include those specialties (as compared to some school that does not have those residency programs)?

No, Your DC chances of getting into one of these are as good as any other student from any other medical school in the country. NRMP match is a computerized algorithm and every medical student (including FMG/IMG) can participate.

I won’t go by what Columbia says about MD selections. Probably lot of kids go to JHU BME not as premeds but more to get into engineering jobs. I wouldn’t go purely by ranks. Again, my S gave up Penn with research scholarship and JHU BME for Vandy and he has 3 top medical school As. His friend went to Penn and he didn’t have similar success. Only advantage I see is Harvard and Stanford since getting GPA is easier there and the name carries some weightage. I won’t bet on any other schools for premed.

D wants to be MD or MD/PhD definate.

Think she wants to go to best possible UG - the well known names. She awaits decision from many and has some offers ( UCLA, UIUC, GT, UT-Austin, JHU) and one MD.

Both she and I are learning the MD path but she seems to like IVY/ Stanford/Caltech kind of schools. Still few weeks to go.

Not sure the best path going forward.

Yes. But when RD ranks a student - they can rank their own student higher. Does that happen? Now, don’t say that you are not a RD and you don’t know :slight_smile: It is just a question to get an overall opinion.

Think either last or 2 years ago Duke offered full ride to about 20 or 28 students. Only 8 joined.

There is a reason Duke offers full ride.

1 Like

Yes local med school candidates may have some advantage in matching but have match scores and credentials

1 Like

RD are using some objective criteria and there may be a slight advantage but is it good enough when the competition is tough. It is the computer algorithm which does the match. It is possible if RD does tell student that s/he is ranked 1 and s/he should rank them as 1. There it is a match.
I am not a RD for sure.image

I meant they need to match the scores and credentials else there is no advantage

Higher Step scores was one of the measure which was beneficial for low tier school candidates.

I think starting 2022 or 2023 they will no use them